MD & DO Reapplicant! Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCUCUC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.7cGPA 3.8sGPA
31MCAT 11P 9V 11B
California resident

200 hours volunteer
1 year undergrad research
2 science, 1 non-science, 2 volunteer, 1 MD research letters.

currently in MPH, have a paper (to be accepted, hopeful to be published by June 2014, first author)
currently doing statistical research, hospital volunteering.

Future: working experience, and possibly retake MCAT (May 2014)

I will be applying to all CA schools. Here is a list of other schools I will be applying to + DO.
1 Tuscon
2 PHX
3 USC
4 Georgetown
5 GWU
6 Rosa-Frank
7 Rush
8 Tufts
9 Boston
10 Dartmouth
11 NYU
12 Einstein
13 U of Roch
14 Albany
15 Hofstra
16 Temple

Just want some opinion on my school list and some general recommendations. Chances of staying instate?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you shadow a DO? (you should) and did you not apply DO last time? I'm lost as to why your stats didn't get you in last year....

highly doubtful any of the UC schools will give you the time of day, thanks to that below avg MCAT (for them).

Western and TUCOM will be glad to have you.
[

Suggest that you'll have decent luck with these schools:

I will be applying to all CA schools. Here is a list of other schools I will be applying to + DO.
1 SLU
MCW
4 Georgetown
5 GWU
6 Rosa-Frank
7 Rush
8 Tufts
9 Boston

12 Einstein
NYMC
loyola
14 Albany
15 Drexel
16 Temple
Jefferson
Wake Forest
tulane
All new MD schools
All DO programs

Just want some opinion on my school list and some general recommendations. Chances of staying instate?[/quote]

Members don't see this ad :)
Toledo, Cincinnati, Vermont, FIU (These are places that gave me interviews w/ a lowish GPA even as a reapplicant)
NYMC, Drexel, Jefferson, Tulane, Loyola, Rush?

Maybe Utah (have to look at where their loyalties are now -- they've had funding cuts from the state in the past, so they did a drastic switch from not accepting OOS apps w/out ties to the state to, from what I've heard, a large # of CA residents . . . but I'm unsure what the current status of that is).

You're score is a bit low for some of the schools on your list, but I suspect that's not really an avoidable issue here.

Honestly, as a prior reapplicant, I think it's best to go all out and apply everywhere that accepts OOS & where you are w/in a reasonable # of standard deviations from the mean in terms of GPA/MCAT (not sure where that lands you w/ MCAT). Some schools are rather biased against reapplicants, so you have to CYA for the fact that some for whom you're w/in a reasonable distance of average will still not consider you as a reapplicant.

What happened w/ your application last cycle? Any interviews? What have you changed in your application since the unsuccessful cycle?
That MCAT score is a detractor, but if you didn't even get any interviews (and didn't submit your app late, and didn't try applying only to UCs), I'd be concerned about something else in your file.

Did not apply DO first time.

Basically a combination of late application and lack of preparedness. I finished my app in a day or two, which obviously led to a disaster of an essay. In addition, my EC's were really lacking, had 20 hrs shadowing + 50 hrs volunteer and just various student clubs, nothing special. Since then I've been volunteering at food bank and at a hospital, doing research with results and making good connections through my MPH program. I've learned from past mistakes-early app + a real personal essay + all of you guys great input! thanks guys.

I def forgot about all the new MD's especially the ones in Michigan. And I probably still have to reevaluate whether or not I want to retake MCAT.

I would not retake the mcat unless it expires. The chance of scoring lower is very real & in this case could push you below 30, which is sorta a fuzzy cutoff for a decent score.