Reapplicant essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayoooooosauce

Reaction score
Should I bring attention to the fact that I am a reapplicant in schools that ask "anything more" essays? I have been using those for gap years and why x school. Also schools that do ask about specific reapplicant essays should this secondary be written more matter of fact like I did x y z to improve my app?

Members don't see this ad.

Should I bring attention to the fact that I am a reapplicant in schools that ask "anything more" essays? I have been using those for gap years and why x school. Also schools that do ask about specific reapplicant essays should this secondary be written more matter of fact like I did x y z to improve my app?
Some school-specific prompts encourage reapplicants to use the "anything else" essay for this purpose. Since we don't know where you are specifically applying, defer to what the prompt says for each school. Other schools will have a separate essay for your response.

Reactions: 1 users
If a school does have an anything else but without mention about using the space for reapplicant growth-- should I mention reapplication or try not to bring too much attention to it? Obviously they will know lol but I rather not have that as the highlight

Members don't see this ad :)
If a school does have an anything else but without mention about using the space for reapplicant growth-- should I mention reapplication or try not to bring too much attention to it? Obviously they will know lol but I rather not have that as the highlight
Can't answer in general since I don't know how you improved.

Can't answer in general since I don't know how you improved.
I guess I am asking if I should "anythign else you want to tell us" as a reapplicant essay vs why us vs gap year if that makes sense. I gained more clinical exp, non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and worked a tutoring job since my last cycle. Which I am writing about in gap year essay but should I also put in reflections about being a reapplicant or not include it

I guess I am asking if I should "anythign else you want to tell us" as a reapplicant essay vs why us vs gap year if that makes sense. I gained more clinical exp, non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and worked a tutoring job since my last cycle. Which I am writing about in gap year essay but should I also put in reflections about being a reapplicant or not include it
I defer to the admissions staff for advice on this. I don't think it's a problem but you never know if the screeners and faculty are looking for something else. I also don't know the rest of the prompts you have to answer.

When we see a repeat application, we always want to know what the applicant did to improve. It is definitely good to address that issue in one of your essays. Showing that you put conscious effort into improving (vs just reapplying with no significant changes) is a positive thing.

Reactions: 2 users
When we see a repeat application, we always want to know what the applicant did to improve. It is definitely good to address that issue in one of your essays. Showing that you put conscious effort into improving (vs just reapplying with no significant changes) is a positive thing.
If a school doesn’t have a proper prompt to talk about reapp (like no gap year, anything else, specific reapp essay) should I still try to shove it in somewhere?

For example tulane: why tulane, disparities in health, how someone would describe you, COVID — like it wouldn’t be appropriate to write reapp reflection somewhere right?

If a school doesn’t have a proper prompt to talk about reapp (like no gap year, anything else, specific reapp essay) should I still try to shove it in somewhere?
Probably tough to do. In that case, you might have to let your activities speak for themselves (presumably, you have continued to add to your hours of volunteering and clinical contact).

Reactions: 1 user
For example tulane: why tulane, disparities in health, how someone would describe you, COVID — like it wouldn’t be appropriate to write reapp reflection somewhere right?
They're going to see what you've been doing the last year or else you are omitting very important information. That should tell them how you have improved your application. So if they don't explicitly ask, as long as the information about how you've improved your application is there (and it should be), you don't have to devote an essay to it. On the other hand, if that's how you want to use this essay and you've covered other topics (please see next paragraph), I see no harm in doing so.

In terms of "anything more," is there anything that you would like them to know about you that isn't covered in the primary or secondary? Anything that will give them more insight into why you want to be a doctor, the character traits and experience that you will bring to the practice of medicine, challenges overcome, some exceptional hobby or commitment that you have made, or perhaps a personal growth experience that you didn't' write about elsewhere.

Please understand that it is extremely difficult to advise someone on "anything more" without knowing "everything else" included in your app already.

Reactions: 1 users
They're going to see what you've been doing the last year or else you are omitting very important information. That should tell them how you have improved your application. So if they don't explicitly ask, as long as the information about how you've improved your application is there (and it should be), you don't have to devote an essay to it. On the other hand, if that's how you want to use this essay and you've covered other topics (please see next paragraph), I see no harm in doing so.

In terms of "anything more," is there anything that you would like them to know about you that isn't covered in the primary or secondary? Anything that will give them more insight into why you want to be a doctor, the character traits and experience that you will bring to the practice of medicine, challenges overcome, some exceptional hobby or commitment that you have made, or perhaps a personal growth experience that you didn't' write about elsewhere.

Please understand that it is extremely difficult to advise someone on "anything more" without knowing "everything else" included in your app already.
Very helpful thank you!

Reactions: 1 user