Reapplicant Guidance (3.47/501)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mirrorball

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I wanted to write asking for some advice regarding reapplying.

My cGPA was 3.47, and sGPA 3.16. MCAT first attempt 499 (124/124/123/128), second attempt 501 (125/126/125/125).

I applied this past 2025-2026 cycle, and received 1 MD II and 1 DO II. I was WL from the MD school, then received a rejection. I am still WL at the DO school. I submitted all secondaries by the first week of September 2025.

My school list and work/activities that I applied with are as follows:

Work/Activities Hours​
clinical volunteering
180​
non-clinical volunteering
450​
leadership
850​
research
850​
extracurriculars
40​
paid clinical employment
2000​
paid non-clinical employment
500​
shadowing
60​
teaching/tutoring
50​

Schools I applied to 2025-2026:​
IllinoisCOM
Midwestern
Des Moines
Albany
UIC
Wayne State
Vermont
Loyola
MCW
OUWB
Quinnippiac
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
SIU

As I applied, I recognized that applying with my low stats would be risky. In hindsight, I wish I would have studied differently for the MCAT, perhaps with a tutor. I also wish I would have applied more broadly, specifically to more DO schools. However, I do believe I had strong LORs, along with an engaging narrative and well-written essays.

That said, I wanted to ask for guidance in terms of moving forward. In the past year, the only things that have changed are that I’ve gotten 1500 more clinical employment hours at my job as a Research Coordinator. I also got 50 more shadowing hours.

Should I:

A. Submit my same application from this past cycle to more DO schools, as well as MD schools that I didn’t apply to, for the upcoming 2026-2027 cycle? This would look like one more gap year, for a total of three prior to matriculation.

  • MD schools that I am thinking of submitting to include Ponce (St. Louis), Roseman, Belmont, NOVA, and Temple. If there are any other schools that might align with my current stats, I would appreciate any further insight!
  • Since I would be re-using a lot of my old application, I believe I would be able to prioritize submitting early (in May) for both AMCAS/AACOMAS.
B. Take the following year to study for the MCAT again, and maybe take a few more science classes to boost my science GPA? I would also take this year to increase clinical volunteering and teaching/tutoring hours. I would then apply for the 2027-2028 cycle. This would look like two more gap years, for a total of four prior to matriculation.
  • Not sure if there is anything else I should prioritize in this case?
I’m not really sure what next steps to take, and as I wait to see if I get off the DO school’s WL, I would love to plan ahead. I really appreciate any and all help/feedback. Thank you so much!
 
Last edited:
Which URM community are you from? If you are Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish? Where were your 2 interviews?
Hispanic, native Spanish speaker. Interviewed at Wayne and IllinoisCOM. Hoping to get off the IllinoisCOM WL since they are a new school, but trying to plan ahead just in case. Thank you for your help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are competitive for the majority of DO schools with your stats and I suggest these if you reapply:
Illinois-COM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
BCOM (both schools)
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
NOORDA-COM
MD is unlikely with your stats but you could try these:
UIC
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
Ponce (St. Louis)
Brigham Young (when it opens)
Oakland Beaumont
 
You are competitive for the majority of DO schools with your stats and I suggest these if you reapply:
Illinois-COM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
BCOM (both schools)
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
NOORDA-COM
MD is unlikely with your stats but you could try these:
UIC
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
Ponce (St. Louis)
Brigham Young (when it opens)
Oakland Beaumont
Thank you!