Reapplicant-Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baachu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplying this cycle and I was wondering if I can use the same Personal Statement I used the previous cycle. Do I need to add that I am a reapplicant and address how I have improved/grown etc. ? Thank you in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am reapplying this cycle and I was wondering if I can use the same Personal Statement I used the previous cycle. Do I need to add that I am a reapplicant and address how I have improved/grown etc. ? Thank you in advance for the help!

If it was me I would add what I have done to improve throughout this last year, extra stuff, etc.... Good Luck

I had to reapply and I changed my statement. Obviously there is something that needs improving in your over all application and though it might not be your personal statement, it never hurts to change it.

In my opinion, you are the same person, and your experiences are going to be the same as they were in the previous cycle (hopefully you did something over the year to make yourself a stronger applicant however)... so how do you change the personal statement?

Well one way is to think of other ways to say it. I changed my opening, and really developed what I learned from my experiences through out my education and dental shadowing.

For brain storming ideas: Take a look at your experiences- Describe what you did, what you learned from it, and how that knowledge will help you become a better student/dentist.

I wouldn't dwell on the fact that you are a reapplicant. I would state it (because they already know) but also explain why being a reapplicant makes you more suited than the next person. Show commitment and perseverance.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to reapply and I changed my statement. Obviously there is something that needs improving in your over all application and though it might not be your personal statement, it never hurts to change it.

In my opinion, you are the same person, and your experiences are going to be the same as they were in the previous cycle (hopefully you did something over the year to make yourself a stronger applicant however)... so how do you change the personal statement?

Well one way is the think of other ways to say it. I changed my opening, and really developed what I learned from my experiences through out my education and dental shadowing.

For brain storming ideas: Take a look at your experiences- Describe what you did, what you learned from it, and how that knowledge will help you become a better student/dentist.

I wouldn't dwell on the fact that you are a reapplicant. I would state it (because they already know) but also explain why being a reapplicant makes you more suited than the next person. Show commitment and perseverance.

Good Luck!

:thumbup:

Your statement is what it is, really. Your experiences have probably not changed drastically over a course of one year. So, essentially, you need to just toggle with the statement a bit. There are several ways of constructing a statement, the best of which is (IMO) to provide the adcoms with your experiences and how they affected you. No need to include everything; just go with ones that you think are most relevant.

Hello, I am also reapplying for this cycle, I opted to write a new PS because I feel that I am more mature now than last time around and that will show in my PS. I think its a good idea to write another one but you can also choose to keep the old one if you wish.

I applied three years and finally got in this cycle. YAY! I changed my personal statement three times, especially since I was applying to some of the same school. In my opinion, even though your personal statement "is what it is." Your outlooks on that statement must have changed. Your desire has obviously changed, your upcoming goals for the next year, and your approach to dentistry. Obviously, you assumed you would be attending school at this time, the reality is you aren't, so what now? That is how I had to look at it.

I am not sure it is necessary to rewrite your PS (unless it is rubbish), but I think each year you should try to improve it. To the schools that have kept your records from previous cycles this will demonstrate a continued effort to improve on your application. According to AADSAS, the PS is supposed to "address why you desire to pursue a dental education and how a dental degree contributes to your personal and professional goals". I imagine that your answers to this question haven't really changed, but if they have evolved since the last cycle you should note the experiences that led to these changes.

I wouldn't bother mentioning that you're a reapplicant, as they already know this and I am not sure it necessarily provides any clarity to either part of the PS's purpose (the why and the how).

I used the same one... with a little editting but pretty much the same. It's okay to use the same one if it still expresses what you want to convey to the reader.

Thank you all for the advice!

I know its late... but incase someone else reads this i just want to put it out there that I made minor mods to my essay and resubmitted it... and got accepted this go round.

oops didn't see date.... *removed*

it worked for me too. I think I edited maybe like a few sentences.. last cycle I landed 2 interviews with both waitlist, this cycle (with the same personal statement) I landed 8 interviews with 2 acceptances so far.

For those who applied or reapplied recently, is there an option that you pick that says you are a re-applicant on the AADSAS application? I don't remember when I first applied if there was such a box for it, and if there is, did it ask you to explain what you have done since the last time you applied? Or do you put that information in supplementals? (I think one of the secondaries had this question)

I am just wondering because if there is no space for this then I will change up my personal statement to include some of this information.

For those who applied or reapplied recently, is there an option that you pick that says you are a re-applicant on the AADSAS application? I don't remember when I first applied if there was such a box for it, and if there is, did it ask you to explain what you have done since the last time you applied? Or do you put that information in supplementals? (I think one of the secondaries had this question)

I am just wondering because if there is no space for this then I will change up my personal statement to include some of this information.

yes, it's a part of your "background information" section.

Q: Have you ever applied to dental school prior to the present application cycle? (choose yes or no)

If yes, include the name of schools to which you applied and year(s) of application. If accepted/enrolled, indicate dates of enrollment :

I'm pretty sure the format will stay the same. the only thing that changed from 2010 to 2011 was the official DAT score report where we do not have to pay additional $$$ to send off the scores.

Thanks for the reply. But there is no additional space to answer the question what I've been doing since my last application. I think that question is for some of the secondaries, I remember UCSF had this question.

I will follow the rest of the advice on here, and just change my PS a little bit to include how this year off has made me a stronger candidate. Thank you.