Reapplicant PS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahl86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone who's updated their personal statement for a second (or third) application to medical school, did you include the fact that you have previously applied and was not accepted in your personal statement?

How and why did you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope.

Use the secondary to bring up anything that you see as relevent.

You can mention in your PS that you are a re-applicant, but it's not by any means necessary. Personally, in my PS, I did mention that I am a re-applicant during the process of explaining what I've been doing to explore medicine/reaffirm that this is the right career path for me. Needless to say, I didn't make my re-applicant status the focus of my essay.

Truly there really is not a huge need to bring this fact out. You will face this question again with your secondaries ... so if you need space in your PS, just wait till your secondaries to talk about your previous rejection and what you learned/what you did to strengthen your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't make my re-applicant status the focus of my essay.

That's the big piece of advice I would give too. I certainly mentioned that I was a re-applicant and what I was doing to improve (SMP), but it was stuck in one paragraph. The rest talked about why I thought medicine was for me, etc.

I didn't mention it because it has nothing to do with why I want to go into medicine. Why bring up something where they didn't ask for it?

For everyone who's updated their personal statement for a second (or third) application to medical school, did you include the fact that you have previously applied and was not accepted in your personal statement?

How and why did you do it?

No. It is not relevant to the point of the personal statement, which is to state why you want to pursue medicine. If a school wants to know whether or not you are a reapplicant, they will ask you on the secondary. Why do you want to let out more information than necessary, especially when it could potentially hurt you? That is like trying to say many times "I got a 26 on the MCAT" on your personal statement. Only bring up these kind of things if they ask you.