Reapplicant Secondary Response

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

For schools that ask is there any area of concern, should I say I am a reapplicant because I applied very late in the cycle? How much more should I explain the situation? Or is the better strategy to avoid addressing this?

That's really my only issue (I talked to admissions deans at a bunch of schools I applied to). My advisor told me I should just apply anyway (late August) because she had a student that got in. Against my better judgement, I decided to give it a go and that was a big mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could write, "On the advice of my advisor, I applied for admission in late August, 2017. In hindsight, I realize that my application was very late and that the end result (no offers of admission) could have been predicted. It is my hope that my timely application in this cycle will yield a positive outcome."

Or you could say nothing. Do you have an application that according to AAMC Table 24 (Google it if you don't know of this table) should have resulted in a >85% likelihood of admission. If you should have gotten in on the first round based on your stats, then it might be important to explain why you are a reapplicant. If you are a weaker applicant (40-60% likelihood) it is less crucial to explain, IMHO.

Reactions: 2 users
For schools that ask is there any area of concern, should I say I am a reapplicant because I applied very late in the cycle? How much more should I explain the situation? Or is the better strategy to avoid addressing this?

That's really my only issue (I talked to admissions deans at a bunch of schools I applied to). My advisor told me I should just apply anyway (late August) because she had a student that got in. Against my better judgement, I decided to give it a go and that was a big mistake.
It would help to know the precise wording of the essay prompt(s). Are they specifically asking why you're a reapplicant? Or do they want to know if there is a weakness in the actual application (missing ECs, low stats, one bad semester, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
It would help to know the precise wording of the essay prompt(s). Are they specifically asking why you're a reapplicant? Or do they want to know if there is a weakness in the actual application (missing ECs, low stats, one bad semester, etc).

I'd like to know for both. There's one that just says: " Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee."

The other is: "Why are you a reapplicant and what have you done to improve your application."

Thank you all for your responses.