Reapplicant Seeking Advice for 22/23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caledonia32

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was your first MCAT score? AMCAS recommends to med schools to average multiple MCAT scores. Some do and some don’t but all scores are visible to the reviewers at each school.
You need about 150+ more hours in nonclinical volunteering. Your shadowing is about 200 more hours than you need. So if you are still shadowing stop and get working on nonclinical volunteering. Your clinical hours and research are fine. Do you have your LORs lined up?

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all DO schools and could receive some MD interviews also. I suggest these schools with your stats:L
UConn
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
AZCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your first MCAT score? AMCAS recommends to med schools to average multiple MCAT scores. Some do and some don’t but all scores are visible to the reviewers at each school.
You need about 150+ more hours in nonclinical volunteering. Your shadowing is about 200 more hours than you need. So if you are still shadowing stop and get working on nonclinical volunteering. Your clinical hours and research are fine. Do you have your LORs lined up

Thank you so much for your guidance! My first MCAT score, which I applied to only 4 schools with last year, was a 506 (updated my original post as well). I will definitely look into more non-clinical volunteering opportunities as well as continuing my COVID clinic work. I have applied to volunteer with my local animal shelter as I love animal care (I also used to volunteer at the local zoo) as well as conservation advocacy work, but I’m unsure if that counts towards those hours. I was also looking into the pet therapy program at a local hospital with my pup; I thought that could be a cool way to support my community while finding an intersection between two of my biggest passions!

My LORs from last year’s app cycle were from two different research PI’s that I worked very closely with (one of whom was also one of my professors for two science courses). Another was my manager from working as an ED tech, and the last was from an MD I did summer research with. In the coming time, I hope to foster some deep connections with mentors that may be able to write me even stronger LoR’s, which could replace or add to those that I have from my last app cycle.

Do you think there may be any benefit to taking some upper-level biology courses in this time to show continued academic growth (may also be an opportunity for another science course LoR)?

Thank you so much again!

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools and could receive some MD interviews also. I suggest these schools with your stats:L
UConn
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
AZCOM
Thank you so much for this school list Faha! I really appreciate your time. Do you think taking upper-level bio coursework may help increase my chances of receiving MD II’s? I’m so happy to hear that you believe I am on track for DO programs, and definitely look forward to hopefully improving my candidacy for those programs, too.

Last edited:
Agree with @candbgirl that what is holding you back is not enough non clinical volunteering more than upper level science classes (though that is also important). More face to face opportunities to serve low SED populations (not just calling, though i suspect you do some meetings with those you help). Show you are comfortable being uncomfortable. The animal therapy opportunities won't help you.)

Thank you so much for this school list Faha! I really appreciate your time. Do you think taking upper-level bio coursework may help increase my chances of receiving MD II’s? I’m so happy to hear that you believe I am on track for DO programs, and definitely look forward to hopefully improving my candidacy for those programs, too.
Yes, increasing your sGPA would increase your chances for a MD interview.