Seeking School List Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marobb

Reaction score
Stats 28 Male Non Traditional

Colorado resident for 25 years with CU Anschutz being top choice of schools

In undergrad I was a very unmotivated student: 3.1 GPA Environmental Science with a minor in Biology

In 2021 I became an EMT with hopes of becoming a Paramedic and found myself interested in becoming a doctor. Asked a lot of questions about what being a Doctor entails and shadowed some ER docs and decided it was what I wanted to do (not necessarily EM). I went back to do a Post Bac I am currently in my last few classes. I have a 4.0 as a Post Bac. MCAT score: 514 (130,128,129,127) Never took a practice full length so have no real reference for comparison to track progression but I hadn't taken Biochemistry, Ochem II or a Psych class at time of test.

Clinical Hours: 2 Years of Full-time and some part time as an EMT in busiest Trauma Center in Denver CO. (IVs, EKG, Splinting, Strokes, MI's....all that jazz)

Research: tiny bit in Undergrad I'm not too sure I should mention in an application. Starting at a medical lab in Cardiometabolic research at Anschutz

Volunteering: Tutor EMT's in training for NREMT. Applying to work at clinic for the underserved. Random Ec's: President of Front Range EMS club Honors award for Academic achievement in EMT school 
 Shadowing: few hours with ER docs outside of work IM/oncology Trauma Surgeon

Father is OBGYN: studied at University of Maryland School of Medicine Grandfather: Pediatrician, Immunologist studied NYU

*no clue whether alumni network is an advantage

No clue where I stand as an applicant but I'm happy for all feedback.
  • University of Colorado Anschutz School of Medicine
  • Rock Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson
  • University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
  • University of Utah School of Medicine
  • University of Nevada Las Vegas Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine
  • University of Nevada Reno School of Medicine
  • Kaiser Tyson
  • California North State University
  • University of Connecticut
  • Quinnipiac Medical School
  • Belmont
  • Einstein
  • Vermont
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • New York Medical College
  • Dartmouth
  • UCLA
  • Tulane
  • Tufts
  • Western Michigan-Stryker
  • New Mexico
  • University of Wisconsin
  • Kentucky
  • Stony Brook
  • University of Maryland
  • UC San Diego
  • West Virginia
  • Virginia Tech

Members don't see this ad.

You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Also California Northstate has accreditation issues.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Colorado
Creighton
St. Louis
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
CUSOM
Touro-NY

Reactions: 1 users
You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Also California Northstate has accreditation issues.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Colorado
Creighton
St. Louis
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
CUSOM
Touro-NY
This is great, my question is: to use an example; University of Arizona - Phoenix has a 50% OOS matriculant rate; is there a reason that school is not considered OOS friendly? Is that why you removed it from a potential?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is great, my question is: to use an example; University of Arizona - Phoenix has a 50% OOS matriculant rate; is there a reason that school is not considered OOS friendly? Is that why you removed it from a potential?
Some of those OOS are URM (Spanish speaking) or attended undergraduate school in Arizona or are former residents. Do you have any connection to Arizona ?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Some of those OOS are URM (Spanish speaking) or attended undergraduate school in Arizona or are former residents. Do you have any connection to Arizona ?
I don't. That is great to know. Is UNLV similar? Where do you find that info? MSAR?