Reapplicant Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirkenator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.7 MCAT 27 Good LORs Solid ECs ...(stuff done in my gap year as well)

I applied last year in July. I made the mistake of submitting my TMDSAS and AMCAS applications in late July. It took them over a month to verify me and submit to medical schools. I received most of my secondaries in early September and it (obviously) took them a while to evaluate my application.

I was small pooled at a lot of schools and they kept telling me to call back. By late March I decided to stick a fork in the several schools who hadn't rejected me and focus on the next cycle.

Now here are my options:

1) Apply as soon as the application cycles open and hope for the best with DO and MD schools.

2) Take the June 20th MCAT but make sure my application is submitted to TMSAS and AMCAS in early June.

I really feel that my application being looked at in September by Medical Schools as well as a lower MCAT score really shot me in the foot. Several of my friends who sat for the July MCAT had gotten higher scores including one who scored a 29 and got an acceptance for 2012.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to TCOM? Not saying that you shouldn't also shoot for MDs, but a 27 would have been a good score for TCOM.

Also yes get your application out as soon as you can!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to TCOM? Not saying that you shouldn't also shoot for MDs, but a 27 would have been a good score for TCOM.

Also yes get your application out as soon as you can!

Unfortunately I didn't. In retrospect that was the dumbest decision I made last year. However this year I will. I am wanting to take the MCAT on June 21st and hoping to break the 30 mark.

Getting everything in as early as possible is the key. I always say to give the system at least 24-36 hours after it opens in case there are any kinks, then send it all.One year I knew of a few people submit within an hour of everything getting open and found out a few days later that it didn't go through because of "technical" difficulties.

A 27 isn't too bad. National average is kept at 24-8's across the board. I had a 28. If you can raise it to past 30 that's great-just make sure it will def. go up...I also knew of a few that didn't like their score and retook only to find it drop a fw points.

Look over your PS and application now...maybe even call the places that rejected you and see if it truly was your timing that put you out of the race...cause you have some time now to make your application even more competitive. :)
Good luck!
Marcia

Getting everything in as early as possible is the key. I always say to give the system at least 24-36 hours after it opens in case there are any kinks, then send it all.One year I knew of a few people submit within an hour of everything getting open and found out a few days later that it didn't go through because of "technical" difficulties.

A 27 isn't too bad. National average is kept at 24-8's across the board. I had a 28. If you can raise it to past 30 that's great-just make sure it will def. go up...I also knew of a few that didn't like their score and retook only to find it drop a fw points.

Look over your PS and application now...maybe even call the places that rejected you and see if it truly was your timing that put you out of the race...cause you have some time now to make your application even more competitive. :)
Good luck!
Marcia

Thanks for the solid advice. I didn't apply to an DO schools last year so I will be applying to them this year. I do feel that my timing and my MCAT score were what brought me down. My PS was quadrupled checked by experienced people and my application was balanced and solid. My GPA too was fine as well.

A friend of mine did the same thing 2 yrs ago... he left out TCOM when he shouldn't have and ended up with nothing in Texas. I've been told by multiple people that it's a prudent tactic to include TCOM (I've seen their campus, good school, nice location).