Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mythic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in 2008 for the 2009 entering class with the following stats:

3.27 BCPM
3.39 Overall
34 MCAT

My extracurriculars were centered around music, both performing as well as teaching (volunteer and paid). My co-curriculars involved 2 years of volunteer research in two different labs simultaneously (I was shafted on a paper from one lab at the time, but I put in a lot of work on the data analysis). I also volunteered for about 2 years in 2 different hospitals just helping out nurses and staff with the patients, and working to implement translation services and information for diverse communities.

I applied to numerous schools, but didn't have a good personal statements or essays (because I wrote them in about 1 day each and just sent them off). I also applied late that time, because of a death in the family.

Since then I have accrued the following:
1 publication (2nd author) to archives of general psychiatry
I'm currently working on 2 more, but they most likely wont be accepted by the time I apply.
Additionally, I have been attending weekly clinics under two different directors (one in neurology and one in psychiatry), which have solidified my desire to go into medicine.

I took my MCAT in august of 2007, so I believe the mcat would still be accepted in this upcoming application cycle (starting june 2010).

I had one interview for Case Western in that application cycle which I received within 1 week of my secondaries (September), but I had to delay it until January because of problems in my family.

My main questions are:
1. What are some schools I should consider this time?
2. Is it worth retaking the mcat and trying for a better score (at the time I had to delay my studying until the last minute because of another death in the family, so I might be able to do better this time around)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied in 2008 for the 2009 entering class with the following stats:

3.27 BCPM
3.39 Overall
34 MCAT

My extracurriculars were centered around music, both performing as well as teaching (volunteer and paid). My co-curriculars involved 2 years of volunteer research in two different labs simultaneously (I was shafted on a paper from one lab at the time, but I put in a lot of work on the data analysis). I also volunteered for about 2 years in 2 different hospitals just helping out nurses and staff with the patients, and working to implement translation services and information for diverse communities.

I applied to numerous schools, but didn't have a good personal statements or essays (because I wrote them in about 1 day each and just sent them off). I also applied late that time, because of a death in the family.

Since then I have accrued the following:
1 publication (2nd author) to archives of general psychiatry
I'm currently working on 2 more, but they most likely wont be accepted by the time I apply.
Additionally, I have been attending weekly clinics under two different directors (one in neurology and one in psychiatry), which have solidified my desire to go into medicine.

I took my MCAT in august of 2007, so I believe the mcat would still be accepted in this upcoming application cycle (starting june 2010).

I had one interview for Case Western in that application cycle which I received within 1 week of my secondaries (September), but I had to delay it until January because of problems in my family.

My main questions are:
1. What are some schools I should consider this time?
2. Is it worth retaking the mcat and trying for a better score (at the time I had to delay my studying until the last minute because of another death in the family, so I might be able to do better this time around)

I am not sure exactly when the cut off is for the MCAT...but I would look into it. It might expire this summer since some schools have a 3yr expiration.

An MSAR should tell you the latest MCAT score considered for each school. Some expire in two years, many in three, and an occasional one in four to ten years. I'd try hard to only consider schools where the score won't expire.

It would help to know your GPA trend year-by-year. Also mention your state of residence.

To start your list, consider: MSU, Tulane, GWU, EVMS, UVermont, USCarolina, Drexel, Toledo, NYMC, Albany, Rush, MCW, Virginia Commonwealth, Temple, Penn State, and Jefferson, UBuffalo, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Creighton, SLU and Boston to start. (I did not check the latest MCAT dates on these.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that MCAT has expired for most schools (three year limit), because I took the MCAT in July 2007 and one school with a 3 year limit said this is the last time I could apply with my old scores.