Reapplicants: Do Med Schools Keep Your Stuff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasku

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical school keep your old AMCAS and secondary essays or do they trash them? In addition, does anyone know if they refer back to the old information or do they just look at the new application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school, although I would assume that most will keep your application. In fact, many schools require just an additional letter of recommendation if you are a reapplicant - no secondary essays necessary. If they would keep your secondaries on file, they would definitely keep your AMCAS essays on file. As for whether they would refer back to your old AMCAS essay, I don't think anyone will have a definite answer. If you called the schools you were rejected at and found that your essay was not a problem (and if you still REALLY like your essay), you may want to consider only slightly modifying it to include recent pertinent information. But I'd call the schools on that to make sure it won't be a problem.

I talked to a former admissions dean about this recently. She said that at her school, they keep applications for three years if you interviewed there, and are very likely to refer back to them. Depends on the person.

I'll bet that most schools keep them.