Reapplicants for 2007?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Euphoria36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(i apologize in advance if there's already thread going for reapps...i haven't stumbled across it)

Hey guys!

I've been silently watching the forums on/off for about a year or so..there's a lot of current information here, its great! Just thought I would finally pop in and say hello.

I'm a reapplicant for this year, and wanted to find out if there are others here who are in somewhat of the same boat as me.

I graduated last August and applied REALLY LATE last year. Took the DATs in October & didn't get the apps in until sept/octo...I qualify for the "under the 3.0GPA" category and to add to that I didnt do so well on the DATs (18 PAT 17AA). Looking back on it, I was completely unprepared and uninformed at the time and can't say I'm really surprised I am back here reapplying. Guess all the times I chose partying and work over studying wasn't so smart, huh?

At this point though, I understand inorder for me to get an interview anywhere, I need to kick ass on the DATs. I'm scheduled to retake it Sept 20th - I've been studying hard, and for the next couple of months will be kicking it up several notches. I'm aiming for 22s/23s...

In the mean time I've been working as a dental assistant at an ortho/pedo office (a specialty that I'm interested in) gaining a lot of first hand experience.

Though I know I can't make up for my pitiful GPA (and its rather too late for postbacc programs for the 2007 cycle) I am planning on taking Anatomy w/ Histology, Physio and a Neuro Bio course this coming fall at a quarter system university. The courses will end in December and hopefully I can forward the grades from that quarter to the schools. Of course this wont make up for four years of bad grades, but I just want something to show the schools that I'm serious, and that I can do it & keep up with the dental school curriculum..........what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good to me man....i am in the same boat as you taking the dat in sept and applying now....GOOD LUCK TO US BOTH! :luck:

docveda said:
Sounds good to me man....i am in the same boat as you taking the dat in sept and applying now....GOOD LUCK TO US BOTH! :luck:

a 23 academic average can be very tough to get..its basically only missing like 2-3 questions per section max. aim for 20 or over..dont put too much pressure on yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
pbure said:
a 23 academic average can be very tough to get..its basically only missing like 2-3 questions per section max. aim for 20 or over..dont put too much pressure on yourself.

i hear ya man, it's definately not an easy task but my biggest concern is the low gpa. guess i'm aiming higher and hoping for the best? plus, a couple of months of hard core studying is a small sacrifice if it means dental school next fall! ;)

Docveda, let me know how studying goes... are you doing the kaplan?

Euphoria36 said:
i hear ya man, it's definately not an easy task but my biggest concern is the low gpa. guess i'm aiming higher and hoping for the best? plus, a couple of months of hard core studying is a small sacrifice if it means dental school next fall! ;)

Docveda, let me know how studying goes... are you doing the kaplan?

good luck. btw, use kaplan for all other subjects except for pat. for pat, use dat achiever or top score. i studied half assedly for 1 month and hardcore for 1 week. i barely got any sleep before the test and scored a 22/22/20. i recommend study hardcore for a month at least. then you will do well. oh and my gpa is 3. damn my gpa... =(

Euphoria36 said:
(i apologize in advance if there's already thread going for reapps...i haven't stumbled across it)

Hey guys!

I've been silently watching the forums on/off for about a year or so..there's a lot of current information here, its great! Just thought I would finally pop in and say hello.

I'm a reapplicant for this year, and wanted to find out if there are others here who are in somewhat of the same boat as me.

I graduated last August and applied REALLY LATE last year. Took the DATs in October & didn't get the apps in until sept/octo...I qualify for the "under the 3.0GPA" category and to add to that I didnt do so well on the DATs (18 PAT 17AA). Looking back on it, I was completely unprepared and uninformed at the time and can't say I'm really surprised I am back here reapplying. Guess all the times I chose partying and work over studying wasn't so smart, huh?

At this point though, I understand inorder for me to get an interview anywhere, I need to kick ass on the DATs. I'm scheduled to retake it Sept 20th - I've been studying hard, and for the next couple of months will be kicking it up several notches. I'm aiming for 22s/23s...

In the mean time I've been working as a dental assistant at an ortho/pedo office (a specialty that I'm interested in) gaining a lot of first hand experience.

Though I know I can't make up for my pitiful GPA (and its rather too late for postbacc programs for the 2007 cycle) I am planning on taking Anatomy w/ Histology, Physio and a Neuro Bio course this coming fall at a quarter system university. The courses will end in December and hopefully I can forward the grades from that quarter to the schools. Of course this wont make up for four years of bad grades, but I just want something to show the schools that I'm serious, and that I can do it & keep up with the dental school curriculum..........what do you guys think?

You know, from what I understood from the dental schools I applied to last year, they wanted to see me perform well doing graduate-level work. This swayed my initial inclination to just take extension courses at my undergraduate college and enroll/apply for a post-baccalaureate program. Of course, if you do well in the courses you enrolled, its obviously going to look good, but schools like Pacific and USC said it was more advantageous to perform well at a graduate level, considering the fact that doing well in a few extra courses really won't improve your undergraduate GPA. There are alot of programs that let you apply for the spring, so that could be something you could look into.

I also sent in my application for the 06-07 cycle, and am hoping to send in my grades from my fall 06 classes at the post-bac I'm attending. I'm HOPING that I can get in for the fall '07 class, but I'm expecting to have to take another year off, seeing as how most schools will probably want to see me do well for a full year. My guess is that's probably what you'll have to do too.

but GL with everything! I'm in the same boat as you, so I definitely know the crap you're going through worrying about this dental school madness. I'm sure you'll get in as long as you keep the motivation and drive you have now.

So are you applying for 2007? If you are, why are you applying late again? See, the reason why you need to apply early is because AADSAS takes so damn long to get it to the actual schools, and then the schools have to look it over decide to send a secondary, and then you need to get that done and back to them and then they have to check that to see if you should get an interview. That whole process can take almost 3 months. The key is to get your interviews in before mid Nov because then you'll be in the pack for their first acceptance round. Otherwise in dec/jan/feb it gets hard because they've already accepted a good amount of students and they get even pickier than before because they still have alot of applicants coming in late but not as many spots left to offer. So if you want to get interviews in by Nov you should submit no later than mid august to aadsas.

Euphoria36 said:

Hey guys!