Reapplicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHoo

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't applied for the first time yet, but my advisor basically told me I wouldn't get in in this country :( but I want to apply and see what happens. But in the event that I don't get in, do schools look down on reapplicants. I know they say they don't but does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? The same advisor that said I won't get in told me they don't like reapplicants unless there is a huge gap between the two. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it's probably a 50/50 thing these days. The cream of the crop (35 MCAT's/3.8 etc) goes in the first round of apps. The smart average folks get in as well the first time around or get waitlisted because they chose schools that they could get into. Dumb average folks, like me, get waitlisted at our schools that are reaches and go at it again the next year.

Things that help:
-Shadowing a doc to make sure that your heart is in the field and it is definitely what you want to do with your life
-Rock the MCAT
-Take a year off to work in research/clinical and HAVE SOME FUN before committing your life to medicine
-Take classes you enjoy and can do well in
-Take post bac courses that you enjoy
-Talk to physicians whenever you can to make sure that you have NO question that being a doc is your passion in life
-Know yourself before applying
-Save up some cash cause it is not a cheap thing to apply
-relax about the whole process, because if you REALLY want to be a doctor you will make it happen