Reapplication Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

actin_a_fool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Metrics

cGPA: 3.7 sGPA 3.5
MCAT: 520:132/127/130/131

Community Service: 400 hours
Healthcare Experience: 400 hours as a phlebotomist/MA
Shadowing: 100 hours (family med, endocrinology, derm, emergency, etc)
Leadership: 200 hours (started company, etc)
Research: 100 hours (currently working on 2 pubs, none yet)

I applied this last year as a Utah resident to Utah, Texas schools (where I currently live), and Mayo (AZ) - basically 10 schools total. Basically, I was only interviewed at Utah and just got the rejection from them this last week.

My application looked good on paper - from my understanding, the metrics are there and have personal meaning that I can talk passionately about. I’ve had others review my application (including an advising company) and come to the determination that there weren’t red flags or anything alarming in my application. There may have been a mediocre LOR but I will be replacing that letter with a professor I have been working with. Really, my lack of success comes down to my application strategy, which I know was terrible. I have definitely learned a lot in this last year!

Since application, I moved to Texas so I will have residency this year for application purposes. I’ve continued shadowing (20 hours - oncology (BMT), neurosurgery, pediatric craniofacial), tutored for the MCAT (about 20 hours a week), and started working on 2 case reports with neurosurgeons (one might publish before application time). I’ve also been developing MCAT content for a 3rd party, which should result in a course being launched this summer.

This next year, I want to make the right decision. I’m planning on reapplying as I can’t identify many weaknesses in my application and want to seek advice about other places I should apply outside of Texas. Also, I am interested to hear any advice about any special considerations I should make as I prepare my application. I will be rewriting most everything as this year has definitely changed my career goals and has helped me better understand which aspects of medicine interest me the most (being clinically focused, taking part in teaching, etc). Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you will be applying as a Texas resident you should receive several interviews from the Texas schools. OOS MD schools generally interview few Texas residents since they assume Texas residents will attend a Texas school. You could try some of the newer MD schools such as Quinnipiac,
Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Kaiser and California University. Also include Baylor and the new schools TCU-UNTHSC. Tulane also accepts a fair number of Texans. Washington University also likes applicants with high MCAT scores like yours.

If you will be applying as a Texas resident you should receive several interviews from the Texas schools. OOS MD schools generally interview few Texas residents since they assume Texas residents will attend a Texas school. You could try some of the newer MD schools such as Quinnipiac,
Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Kaiser and California University. Also include Baylor and the new schools TCU-UNTHSC. Tulane also accepts a fair number of Texans. Washington University also likes applicants with high MCAT scores like yours.
As far as my application goes, would you say I am competitive? Going into this cycle, what expectations should I have? I just don't want to reapply a 3rd time and would rather take a year off if needed to strengthen my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are certainly competitive with your stats and should receive more interviews. You had a poor choice of schools in the previous cycle. Only Utah and Mayo were realistic. The Texas schools have a strong preference for Texas residents.

You should plan to apply more broadly outside of Texas as well. Need more programs if you can afford it, especially as a reapplicant.