reapplication after deferred admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dietsprite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are currently accepted to only one MD program, why do you feel you would have acceptances from MD-PhD programs, which tend to be MORE competitive??
Does your accepted school have the option to apply for an MD-PhD during your first year? That might be your best option.

It is my understanding that all AMCAS schools WILL see that you already have an acceptance and I am pretty sure that they will severely question why you are reapplying.

Don't be a fool. Take the admission. the PhD can always be done later.
Most people don't get into their "top choice" med school. Many don't get in anywhere at all. You should be kissing that acceptance letter that you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deferring is usually school specific, so you'll have to ask them. Then from there, they might ask why you want to defer (sometimes only granting it under special circumstances). If you're not honest here, it can really hurt you.

If they let you defer no-questions-asked, then I suppose what you are proposing is possible, but it is definitely a sticky situation.

I would like to echo some of the other responders:
Admission to a medical school is a valuable thing and by following the plan you proposed you may be gambling with your acceptance. I agree that MD/PhD programs are typically more competitive. However, if it is your passion to earn the dual degrees, then that may be a good reason to pursue alternate schools. First, I would recommend checking with the school you were accepted to, to see if they ever allow current MD students into the dual degree program (many schools do if they have the funds).

Final advice: tread carefully

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer