Reapplication Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuller314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

I applied to medical schools this past cycle and am still waiting to hear from two schools (Ohio State/UCinci). I applied very late (around mid September...) hoping there might be a chance I got in, though at this point it seems unlikely. My question is should I reapply this upcoming cycle? I feel like I have a pretty competitive application with 3.7 gpa and 31 mcat (14-ps, 9-vr, 8-bs); I know I have a weird distribution...I'm hoping that my unique EC's might compensate. Would reapplying with the same application hurt me, though I would likely have it submitted one of the first days the application opened? Also, I should mention that I will apply to several school in this cycle that I didn't the first time around (however, my top choice at this point is OSU). I appreciate any and all of your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello-

I applied to medical schools this past cycle and am still waiting to hear from two schools (Ohio State/UCinci). I applied very late (around mid September...) hoping there might be a chance I got in, though at this point it seems unlikely. My question is should I reapply this upcoming cycle? I feel like I have a pretty competitive application with 3.7 gpa and 31 mcat (14-ps, 9-vr, 8-bs); I know I have a weird distribution...I'm hoping that my unique EC's might compensate. Would reapplying with the same application hurt me, though I would likely have it submitted one of the first days the application opened? Also, I should mention that I will apply to several school in this cycle that I didn't the first time around (however, my top choice at this point is OSU). I appreciate any and all of your help!

Well, after reading your post I’m on the fence on suggesting reapplying... If you have the money, then you should apply this year. Mostly because you applied very late last time, so maybe applying early will help your situation. However, being a reapplicant myself, I put a year in between reapplying. You need to change something up in order to get in. DO NOT submit the exact same application as last year. That will probably end the same... Taking a year off to get a few more experiences in will be great for your app. But if you are insistent on applying now, at least change the personal statement and find some planned things to do this year that you can add to your app.

I think that low BS is going to limit your chances. All but one of your state's allo schools has a bottom tenth percentile for BS higher than an 8 (NEOUCOM). Have you considered retaking the MCAT?

That said, if you're on two waitlists, obviously your ECs were helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have thought about retaking the MCAT...my only hesitation is that while my BS may raise, my PS/VR will only go down or stay the same (based on practice test scores). Not sure whether this will pay off...do medical schools just take your best scores into consideration, or ALL scores?

I have thought about retaking the MCAT...my only hesitation is that while my BS may raise, my PS/VR will only go down or stay the same (based on practice test scores). Not sure whether this will pay off...do medical schools just take your best scores into consideration, or ALL scores?

depends.....call the schools.