WAMC/Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencerules135

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE:
Hi, I am reposting this because I am now facing potential reapplication and feel like I should start preparing. Here is my list and new updates. I do plan to apply to DO schools this time around so I would love advice on that. I also this cycle am still WL at UTRGV so theres still a chance, but will also reapply to Texas schools again. School list and overall application advice are welcomed.

1. cGPA-3.908 and sGPA-3.92 as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: Jan 2023 494(123/123/124/124) June 2023 505(126/124/131/124)-CASPER 4Q and Preview 7
  3. State of residence: AZ but strong ties to Texas and Illinois
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: white and asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: University of Arizona
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 300 hours as a volunteer in the emergency room. I help enroll patients in clinical studies and round each hour with the attendings. I observe traumas and work a lot directly with hospital staff. I still have this position and volunteer every week. I have a leadership position in this program and have trained new members on how to enroll patients and interact with physicians. Another 300+ hours working as a medical receptionist and some scribing in primary care. I check patients in, took vitals, ran EKG's. Did a lot of the administrative side as well, but really built strong relationships with patients here. This was a paid summer position that I worked full time. 60 hours volunteering in surgical waiting area of hospital. Here I checked patients in, took them to pre-op, brought family back, and was mainly a comforting presence for patients before big surgeries.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 500-1000 hours in a Type 2 Diabetes lab. No pubs or posters but am completing my honors thesis right now that will result in a poster. Have been apart of this lab for 3 years and have learned a lot of wet lab techniques. We mainly study the proteins involved in Type 2 Diabetes so this research is very applicable. I also am a mentor in this position. I have tried around 5 new members of the lab in all lab experiments and chores. UPDATE- will be presenting poster in April
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 25 hours shadowing in the OR following around an anesthesiologist through a variety of different procedures. I have observed OB/GYN surgeries, plastics, cardio, and learned a lot about anesthesia in general. 8 hours shadowing in a neuro-rehabilitation clinic. Followed physician into patient rooms and watched physician interact with patient and provide botox UPDATE- shadowing in peds ICU will have 10-15 hours by reapplication. Also, shadowing vascular surgeon will have hopefully 20 hours.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- Minimal hours volunteering at homeless shelter and other small activities. I know I really need to improve this. UPDATE: am starting to volunteer at my schools campus pantry. Should have 50-100 by time of reapplication. Also, starting to read at after school programs to children should have 50 hours or so.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) Had a leadership position in my sorority. Led our chapter of 400 women through recruitment. I probably spend 500+ hours working on this. Was apart of a bilingual internship during COVID that helped teach little kids Spanish. We worked with a school in Spain to create online activities for rural schools to use to help their students learn still while education was online-100 hours. Was a medical school ambassador at my school. We gave tours to potential med students and learned about the admissions process-50 hours or so. I also have been apart of a medical club and worked a few non-clincial job. My job all throughout college has been in retail. I work around 15 hours a week at our local boutique. 1000+ hours UPDATE- promotion at job to a bigger leadership role.
  11. Relevant honors or awards- a few deans list and full tuition scholarships
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: This past semester I was a TA for a cancer biology class. I helped groups learn the material and was required to hold weekly office hours. I gained a lot of experience from this with working with others and with the teacher.
2023-2024 School List: I know they were not the best choices, but what schools for next cycle.

U of A phoenix-still waiting
U of A tucson- Pre-II R
Creighton-Pre-II R
UNLV-Pre-II R
Wake Forest-Pre-II R
Northwestern- shooting for the stars-Pre-II R
Rutgers RWJ-Pre-II R
FSU-still waiting
UCSD-Pre-II R
UNC-Pre-II R
UC Riverside-Dumb choice will not be applying again
U of SC-Pre-II R
Utah-Pre-II R
U of Kentucky-still waiting
U of Louisville-Pre-II R
TCU-Pre-II R
MUSC-still waiting
Colorado-Pre-II R
UT Houston-Pre-II R
Texas A&M-Pre-II R
UTMB-Pre-II R
U of Houston-Pre-II R
UNR-Pre-II R
UT Tyler-Pre-II R
UCLA-Pre-II R
UC Davis-Pre-II R
UTRGV-II-->WL
UT dell-Pre-II R
U Wash-Pre-II R
Belmont-still waiting currently under review

PLEASE DO NOT DIRECTLY QUOTE THIS MESSAGE, however I need all the advice I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Mission fit-I really really am passionate about research its my why medicine so I would love to attend a school that allows me to still continue research and incorporates that into the curriculum. On the flip side, I am passionate about working in my local community and making a difference where I am. I think that is why I do like UTRGV so much

What feedback have you received from your prehealth advising office? What did they say about your chances in applying, and what support are they giving you for a reapp if you have to do it?

The low MCAT scores hurt, so you should add the Arizona and Texas DO schools. Burrell in New Mexico perhaps, especially if if you want to work with a similar patient population as UTRGV and UArizona. Bump up the pantry hours. Connect with the Latine/x community. Add Alice Walton SOM once they accept applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
What feedback have you received from your prehealth advising office? What did they say about your chances in applying, and what support are they giving you for a reapp if you have to do it?

The low MCAT scores hurt, so you should add the Arizona and Texas DO schools. Burrell in New Mexico perhaps, especially if if you want to work with a similar patient population as UTRGV and UArizona. Bump up the pantry hours. Connect with the Latine/x community. Add Alice Walton SOM once they accept applications.
We just started discussing it now so hopefully by the end of the week I will have more of a set plan. However, going into this current cycle they werent as helpful as I had hoped. Maybe this time will be better though

@Faha what schools would u recommend for MD/DO/TMDSAS? @Mr.Smile12 when reapplying how much do you need to change your personal statement and other descriptions of activities on primary applications?

@Mr.Smile12 when reapplying how much do you need to change your personal statement and other descriptions of activities on primary applications?
That depends on who you talk to. I know a few that suggest a total rewrite. @LindaAccepted has interviewed many directors and deans that suggest restructuring or rewriting the PS. I suggest a strategy reassessment which could include all your essays except your IA essay. Your profile should be strong enough to write three PS, and some applicants end up doing that (based on their secondary essay prompts).

I think increasing your non-clinical volunteering and shadowing would be most beneficial to your application. Very interesting school list… Your GPA is amazing, MCAT is definitely limiting your school list. You have great extracurriculars with the exceptions of what you identified as being to improve. Lower nonclinical is also limiting additional mission-based schools (Rush, Tulane, Loyola, RFU might even be considered “service-based.”) Consider the following for a reapplication:

AZ Tucson
AZ Pheonix
Utah (I think they are friendly to AZ students)
UI (Expensive OOS tuition, FYI)
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
TCU
Albany
Drexel
RFU
Belmont
Wake Forest
Vermont
Temple
MCW
Penn
OUWB
UTRGV
TAMU
UT Houston
(I don’t know much about the TMDSAS schools and their competitiveness)
+ New MD schools opening in the 2024-2025 application cycle (I think there are 2-3)

DO NOT APPLY TO: UNC, Creighton (screen out <125 subsections), any of the UC’s (competitiveness and preference for CA students), and other OOS MD schools.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I am no admissions expert. However, I have scoured these threads for a while and have worked on my own school list as well with the same advice.

Reactions: 1 users
@Faha what schools would u recommend for MD/DO/TMDSAS? @Mr.Smile12 when reapplying how much do you need to change your personal statement and other descriptions of activities on primary applications?
You had a poor school list with many state public schools that admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 505. UC Riverside admits zero non residents and UC Davis and FSU only 2 or 3 per year. Concentrate on DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
WVSOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
NYIT (all schools)
Touro-NY
For MD schools you could try these:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Arizona State (when it opens)
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Do not bother with the TMDSAS schools (except UTRGV) since overall 90% of their admitted students are instate) and your MCAT scores are not competitive for a non resident.

I think increasing your non-clinical volunteering and shadowing would be most beneficial to your application. Very interesting school list… Your GPA is amazing, MCAT is definitely limiting your school list. You have great extracurriculars with the exceptions of what you identified as being to improve. Lower nonclinical is also limiting additional mission-based schools (Rush, Tulane, Loyola, RFU might even be considered “service-based.”) Consider the following for a reapplication:

AZ Tucson
AZ Pheonix
Utah (I think they are friendly to AZ students)
UI (Expensive OOS tuition, FYI)
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
TCU
Albany
Drexel
RFU
Belmont
Wake Forest
Vermont
Temple
MCW
Penn
OUWB
UTRGV
TAMU
UT Houston
(I don’t know much about the TMDSAS schools and their competitiveness)
+ New MD schools opening in the 2024-2025 application cycle (I think there are 2-3)

DO NOT APPLY TO: UNC, Creighton (screen out <125 subsections), any of the UC’s (competitiveness and preference for CA students), and other OOS MD schools.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I am no admissions expert. However, I have scoured these threads for a while and have worked on my own school list as well with the same advice.
Thank you for the school list! I appreciate it

You had a poor school list with many state public schools that admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 505. UC Riverside admits zero non residents and UC Davis and FSU only 2 or 3 per year. Concentrate on DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
WVSOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
NYIT (all schools)
Touro-NY
For MD schools you could try these:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Arizona State (when it opens)
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Do not bother with the TMDSAS schools (except UTRGV) since overall 90% of their admitted students are instate) and your MCAT scores are not competitive for a non resident.
Thank you for the school list! How much of my writing do you recommend changing for these?

That depends on who you talk to. I know a few that suggest a total rewrite. @LindaAccepted has interviewed many directors and deans that suggest restructuring or rewriting the PS. I suggest a strategy reassessment which could include all your essays except your IA essay. Your profile should be strong enough to write three PS, and some applicants end up doing that (based on their secondary essay prompts).
Thanks for the tag, @Mr.Smile12

As in so much of admissions the question is more qualitative than quantitative. At one extreme, if you just copy and paste your PS, MMEs, activities into next year's applications and just change numbers there are several problems:

1. You fail to show much growth, introspection, or maturation.
2. You show a lack of effort and commitment.
3. What didn't work last time is unlikely to work this time.

However, that doesn't mean you need to do a complete rewrite. The key is to show that you have addressed weakness in your application and can demonstrate that you are a better applicant than you were . So you will probably want to focus more on your recent activities to highlight how you have increased your community service and clinical exposure through increased volunteering and shadowing. Your leadership in the ER will also be worth highlighting somewhere.

However, don't just list the hours. That's fine for here What did you learn in this activities? What impact did they have on you? How did you contribute or make a difference? You don't have to answer all these question for each activity. Choose the most relevant, but make sure you are showing growth.

Definitely add DO programs to your school list and if at all possible, shadow a DO before you apply. Finally, apply to programs where your stats are in range if you are OOS, then for OOS applicants. If IS, then for IS applicants. Be realistic.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tag, @Mr.Smile12

As in so much of admissions the question is more qualitative than quantitative. At one extreme, if you just copy and paste your PS, MMEs, activities into next year's applications and just change numbers there are several problems:

1. You fail to show much growth, introspection, or maturation.
2. You show a lack of effort and commitment.
3. What didn't work last time is unlikely to work this time.

However, that doesn't mean you need to do a complete rewrite. The key is to show that you have addressed weakness in your application and can demonstrate that you are a better applicant than you were . So you will probably want to focus more on your recent activities to highlight how you have increased your community service and clinical exposure through increased volunteering and shadowing. Your leadership in the ER will also be worth highlighting somewhere.

However, don't just list the hours. That's fine for here What did you learn in this activities? What impact did they have on you? How did you contribute or make a difference? You don't have to answer all these question for each activity. Choose the most relevant, but make sure you are showing growth.

Definitely add DO programs to your school list and if at all possible, shadow a DO before you apply. Finally, apply to programs where your stats are in range if you are OOS, then for OOS applicants. If IS, then for IS applicants. Be realistic.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for all the help! I will definitely think about all of these things and start working on a rewrite

Members don't see this ad :)
@Mr.Smile12 Regarding my activities, I originally put my COVID-19 spanish internship under leadership, but now I almost feel like it should be volunteer. I wasn't paid and I spent a lot of time working on this. Do you think it would be non-clinical volunteering?

@Mr.Smile12 Regarding my activities, I originally put my COVID-19 spanish internship under leadership, but now I almost feel like it should be volunteer. I wasn't paid and I spent a lot of time working on this. Do you think it would be non-clinical volunteering?
What did you do?

What did you do?
I worked with an international school in Spain to create online learning activities for elementary students during COVID. We made spanish and english activities that we brought to bilingual schools for them to use. We got to see students use our activites online in class and see how much of an impact it made.

I worked with an international school in Spain to create online learning activities for elementary students during COVID. We made spanish and english activities that we brought to bilingual schools for them to use. We got to see students use our activites online in class and see how much of an impact it made.
So how is this leadership instead of teaching?

So how is this leadership instead of teaching?
I honestlty am not sure why I put it there. I didn't really teach the students I just made activities to help the schools during a tough time. All the schools we worked with were underserved and bilingual.

I honestlty am not sure why I put it there. I didn't really teach the students I just made activities to help the schools during a tough time. All the schools we worked with were underserved and bilingual.
So as an intern, how would your role differ from a teacher's aide or assistant?

So as an intern, how would your role differ from a teacher's aide or assistant?
I guess I was similar to a teachers aide but our program was created separate of any schools we then shared our activities on a website with teachers to use and got to see how they implemented and used them. I made the worksheets and online activites. So would this go under teaching or where on a primary application?

I guess I was similar to a teachers aide but our program was created separate of any schools we then shared our activities on a website with teachers to use and got to see how they implemented and used them. I made the worksheets and online activites. So would this go under teaching or where on a primary application?
Get many opinions, but IMO you were supporting teachers through a difficult time. It may not really be teaching unless you were creating the activities for the students.

Hi again, I have really started to prep for reapplication and I wanted some help on a school list. This list is huge right now and I still need to do further research, but I would love help adding/deleting schools to get this down to 30 total. I really want to make this re-application so much better so I want a school list that will give me the best opportunity possible to be a doctor. I did include DO as well. Ideally I was thinking around 15-20 MD and 10-15 DO. Please let me know your thoughts!! My mission fit focuses on research being incorporated into curriculum and I want to go to a school that really focuses on patient centered care especially within the local community. @Goro @Faha @Mr.Smile12 thanks for any and all advice

AMCAS-bold means this year would be second year applying
Reach:
  1. AZ phoenix- IS
  2. Wakeforest
  3. UCSD
  4. TCU
Target: within 10% range
  1. AZ tucson
  2. Belmont
Baseline-all within 10% of MCAT range
  1. Alice walton
  2. Medical college of Wisconsin
  3. Oakland Beaumont
  4. University of Toledo
  5. University of Kansas
  6. University of Wisconsin
A few others I was recommended to add: not within 10%
  1. Rosalind Franklin- they value research which is important
  2. NOVA MD
  3. Virginia commonwealth
  4. Eastern Virginia
  5. George Washington
  6. Drexel
  7. Temple
  8. Quinnipac
  9. Meharray
TMDSAS- I do see myself potentially living and working in Texas. Family in Houston
  1. TCOM-DO
  2. UTRGV
  3. University of Houston
AMCOMAS:
  1. ATSUSOMA-IS
  2. Midwestern-IS
  3. TUNCOM
  4. UIWSOM
  5. KCU-COM(Kansas City)
  6. DMU-COM
  7. CUSOM
  8. VCOM SOUTH CAROLINA
  9. VCOM BLACKSBURG VIRGINIA
  10. WVSOM
  11. MU-COM
  12. NYIT OLD WESTBURY
  13. NYIT ARKANSAS

U of A phoenix-still waiting
U of A tucson- Pre-II R
Creighton-Pre-II R
UNLV-Pre-II R
Wake Forest-Pre-II R
Northwestern- shooting for the stars-Pre-II R
Rutgers RWJ-Pre-II R
FSU-still waiting
UCSD-Pre-II R
UNC-Pre-II R
UC Riverside-Dumb choice will not be applying again
U of SC-Pre-II R
Utah-Pre-II R
U of Kentucky-still waiting
U of Louisville-Pre-II R
TCU-Pre-II R
MUSC-still waiting
Colorado-Pre-II R
UT Houston-Pre-II R
Texas A&M-Pre-II R
UTMB-Pre-II R
U of Houston-Pre-II R
UNR-Pre-II R
UT Tyler-Pre-II R
UCLA-Pre-II R
UC Davis-Pre-II R
UTRGV-II-->WL
UT dell-Pre-II R
U Wash-Pre-II R
Belmont-still waiting currently under review
What do you mean by "strong ties" to TX and IL?

If I were you personally, I would delay a reapp and study super hard to get your MCAT up. I know it would be your third time taking it, but I think that a much better score could really help you.

I would say your MCAT history makes most of the schools on your list extremely unlikely. Of your list, absolutely do NOT apply to:

UNLV
Northwestern
Rutgers
FSU
UCSD
UNC
UC Riverside
USC
Utah
Kentucky
Louiseville
MUSC
Colorado
University of Washington
UC Davis
UCLA

What do you mean by "strong ties" to TX and IL?

If I were you personally, I would delay a reapp and study super hard to get your MCAT up. I know it would be your third time taking it, but I think that a much better score could really help you.

I would say your MCAT history makes most of the schools on your list extremely unlikely. Of your list, absolutely do NOT apply to:

UNLV
Northwestern
Rutgers
FSU
UCSD
UNC
UC Riverside
USC
Utah
Kentucky
Louiseville
MUSC
Colorado
University of Washington
UC Davis
UCLA
I know posted above I made a totally revised list. I do not know if I will be able to get my MCAT up much more. I worked incredibly hard both times and totally changed how I studied. I think I am super competitive besides my MCAT and with new updates I have made so I would like to take another shot at it. As for ties, my immediate family live in both Texas and Illinois. Thanks for the advice!

Reach:
1. AZ phoenix- IS
2. Wakeforest
3. UCSD
4. TCU

5. AZ tucson
6. Belmont

7. Alice walton-new when it opens
8. Medical college of Wisconsin
9. Oakland Beaumont
10. University of Toledo
11. University of Kansas
12. University of Wisconsin
13. Northeast Ohio
14. Morehouse
15. Rosalind Franklin- they value research which is important
16. NOVA MD
17. Virginia commonwealth
18. Eastern Virginia
19. George Washington
20. Drexel
21. Temple
22. Quinnipac
23. Meharray

TMDSAS- I do see myself potentially living and working in Texas. Family in Houston
  1. TCOM-DO
  2. UTRGV
  3. University of Houston
AMCOMAS:
  1. ATSUSOMA-IS
  2. Midwestern-IS
  3. TUNCOM
  4. UIWSOM
  5. KCU-COM(Kansas City)
  6. DMU-COM
  7. CUSOM
  8. VCOM SOUTH CAROLINA
  10. WVSOM
  11. MU-COM
  12. NYIT OLD WESTBURY
  13. NYIT ARKANSAS
I am reposting this just to make it more clear. Let me know which are good to keep/ if there are any I should add!

Do you have ties to Kansas or Ohio? If not I'd exclude Kansas and NEOMED.

Reach:
1. AZ phoenix- IS
2. Wakeforest
3. UCSD
4. TCU

5. AZ tucson
6. Belmont

7. Alice walton-new when it opens
8. Medical college of Wisconsin
9. Oakland Beaumont
10. University of Toledo
11. University of Kansas
12. University of Wisconsin
13. Northeast Ohio
14. Morehouse
15. Rosalind Franklin- they value research which is important
16. NOVA MD
17. Virginia commonwealth
18. Eastern Virginia
19. George Washington
20. Drexel
21. Temple
22. Quinnipac
23. Meharray

1. TCOM-DO
  2. UTRGV
  3. University of Houston
AMCOMAS:
  1. ATSUSOMA-IS
  2. Midwestern-IS
  3. TUNCOM
  4. UIWSOM
  5. KCU-COM(Kansas City)
  6. DMU-COM
  7. CUSOM
  8. VCOM SOUTH CAROLINA
  10. WVSOM
  11. MU-COM
  12. NYIT OLD WESTBURY
  13. NYIT ARKANSAS
I am reposting this just to make it more clear. Let me know which are good to keep/ if there are any I should add!
I don’t know who is “recommending” all the schools you added, but:
remove all the California schools except DO schools.
Remove Meharry unless you are African-American
Add UIWSOM (San Antonio)
Your MCAT is not competitive for TCOM, but if you do apply on TMDSAS again try only UTRGV, SHSU-COM, and U Houston Fertitta.
You are not competitive for the other TMDSAS MD schools as an OOS applicant with 494/505 MCAT

I don’t know who is “recommending” all the schools you added, but:
remove all the California schools except DO schools.
Remove Meharry unless you are African-American
Add UIWSOM (San Antonio)
Your MCAT is not competitive for TCOM, but if you do apply on TMDSAS again try only UTRGV, SHSU-COM, and U Houston Fertitta.
You are not competitive for the other TMDSAS MD schools as an OOS applicant with 494/505 MCAT
Thank you for all of those insights!