Reapplication list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick_carraway

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seeking advice on my list of schools for my reapplication. I've always been against arbitrary cutoffs on schools, but I'd like to trim this list if possible.

Background: CA Asian male. Previous application to 50+ schools yielded one interview at U. of Maryland, which led to rejection after waitlist. School advisors said low GPA (3.3 with scattered Cs) and minimal clinical experience were to blame.

Remedies: One year working at a derm practice, so far one semester of informal post-bacc at SFSU for a 4.0. One semester left before heading to Georgetown SMP while I reapply.

Current stats: 3.4, 32R

1. Albany
2. Boston
3. Drexel
4. EVMS
5. Florida International
6. George Washington
7. Georgetown
8. Jefferson
9. Loyola
10. MC Wisconsin
11. Michigan State
12. OHSU
13. Penn State
14. Rosalind Franklin
15. St. Louis U
16. SUNY Downstate
17. SUNY Upstate
18. Temple
19. Tufts
20. Tulane
21. U at Buffalo
22. U of Arkansas
23. U of Central Florida
24. U of Illinois
25. U of Maryland
26. U of Minnesota
27. U of Rochester
28. U of Southern California
29. U of Toledo
30. U of Vermont
31. UC Davis
32. UC Irvine
33. Virginia Commonwealth
34. Wake Forest
35. Wayne State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nice job on the GPA this last term.

Why include Wayne State, which takes few OOSers? Also, you have enough reach schools in California, that I'd take out Wake Forest and OHSU.

Since you're doing such a good job of adding to your clinical experience this year in a paid position, I hope you are doing something for community service too (not necessarily clinical) since that is another important ongoing component adcomms will be looking for. (I know you didn't ask for comments, but I had to throw it in in case the issue was overlooked.)

I've heard that both Wake and OHSU appreciate re-applicants...you might want to do more research before removing them...

There are many different types of schools on your list--perhaps you could think about what matters most to you and sort you list that way (eg: location, size of student body, focus on research vs. clinical work, etc...)

Members don't see this ad :)
talk with each school to find out why your app didn't go further last year, it may be different from what you think. Not possible to improve parts of your app that you aren't aware are weak.

When I did that, Indiana, OHSU, and U of Wisconsin were removed from my list due to their requirements/preferences for instate students. May want to add Med College of Wisconsin, just plan to apply there in June (not kidding - they weight when you apply as well as your stats)

Suggestion is to take a hard look at the state schools - several were removed from my list when I learned that they essentially only interview out of state applicants with strong ties to the state, or who've attended undergrad there.

If you speak with the schools you'll also get a better understanding of which ones almost interviewed you last year, versus those that would only consider you w/3.8+ GPA.

Since you're doing such a good job of adding to your clinical experience this year in a paid position, I hope you are doing something for community service too (not necessarily clinical) since that is another important ongoing component adcomms will be looking for. (I know you didn't ask for comments, but I had to throw it in in case the issue was overlooked.)

Excellent advice. I heard this from an advisor at NYMC. I had intended to work at a cat shelter, but I never did it and focused on my classes instead.

A wise move or not?

When I did that, Indiana, OHSU, and U of Wisconsin were removed from my list due to their requirements/preferences for instate students. May want to add Med College of Wisconsin, just plan to apply there in June (not kidding - they weight when you apply as well as your stats)

You're right about speaking with the schools. Some told me that the fact that I was OOS put me well under their min. GPA.

I think I'll remove Indiana and Wisconsin.

Any particular reason why you aren't including any DO schools?

Any particular reason why you aren't including any DO schools?
Good question.

I would only apply to Touro in CA and I don't think it's worth the extra essay and money to apply to one AACOMAS school.

I would consider removing Rochester (school is big on community service/volunteering) and Minnesota (lower OOS acceptance rate). Consider adding GW (I actually liked it a lot more than Gtown when I interviewed).

If you are not a resident of Florida (You said you were Cali) I would also consider dropping Miami. They said they only encourage non-residents to apply if they have above a 3.6 GPA

http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,2600-1;14190-2;37951-3,00.html

It's just something to consider as you make your final list, good luck.
Thanks! I did see that page but for some reason Miami remained on the list.

I think I'll replace it with GW, per Rzarecta. I looked at Georgetown's SMP list and a few (2-3 haha) applicants go to GW each year.