Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Reapplication list

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by nick_carraway, Jan 2, 2009.

1. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm seeking advice on my list of schools for my reapplication. I've always been against arbitrary cutoffs on schools, but I'd like to trim this list if possible.

Background: CA Asian male. Previous application to 50+ schools yielded one interview at U. of Maryland, which led to rejection after waitlist. School advisors said low GPA (3.3 with scattered Cs) and minimal clinical experience were to blame.

Remedies: One year working at a derm practice, so far one semester of informal post-bacc at SFSU for a 4.0. One semester left before heading to Georgetown SMP while I reapply.

Current stats: 3.4, 32R

1. Albany
    2. Boston
    3. Drexel
    4. EVMS
    5. Florida International
    6. George Washington
    7. Georgetown
    8. Jefferson
    9. Loyola
    10. MC Wisconsin
    11. Michigan State
    12. OHSU
    13. Penn State
    14. Rosalind Franklin
    15. St. Louis U
    16. SUNY Downstate
    17. SUNY Upstate
    18. Temple
    19. Tufts
    20. Tulane
    21. U at Buffalo
    22. U of Arkansas
    23. U of Central Florida
    24. U of Illinois
    25. U of Maryland
    26. U of Minnesota
    27. U of Rochester
    28. U of Southern California
    29. U of Toledo
    30. U of Vermont
    31. UC Davis
    32. UC Irvine
    33. Virginia Commonwealth
    34. Wake Forest
    35. Wayne State

#1 nick_carraway, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Nice job on the GPA this last term.

Why include Wayne State, which takes few OOSers? Also, you have enough reach schools in California, that I'd take out Wake Forest and OHSU.

Since you're doing such a good job of adding to your clinical experience this year in a paid position, I hope you are doing something for community service too (not necessarily clinical) since that is another important ongoing component adcomms will be looking for. (I know you didn't ask for comments, but I had to throw it in in case the issue was overlooked.)

3. ruraldr

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've heard that both Wake and OHSU appreciate re-applicants...you might want to do more research before removing them...

There are many different types of schools on your list--perhaps you could think about what matters most to you and sort you list that way (eg: location, size of student body, focus on research vs. clinical work, etc...)

4. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    talk with each school to find out why your app didn't go further last year, it may be different from what you think. Not possible to improve parts of your app that you aren't aware are weak.

When I did that, Indiana, OHSU, and U of Wisconsin were removed from my list due to their requirements/preferences for instate students. May want to add Med College of Wisconsin, just plan to apply there in June (not kidding - they weight when you apply as well as your stats)

Suggestion is to take a hard look at the state schools - several were removed from my list when I learned that they essentially only interview out of state applicants with strong ties to the state, or who've attended undergrad there.

If you speak with the schools you'll also get a better understanding of which ones almost interviewed you last year, versus those that would only consider you w/3.8+ GPA.

5. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Excellent advice. I heard this from an advisor at NYMC. I had intended to work at a cat shelter, but I never did it and focused on my classes instead.

A wise move or not?

6. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're right about speaking with the schools. Some told me that the fact that I was OOS put me well under their min. GPA.

I think I'll remove Indiana and Wisconsin.

7. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

Any particular reason why you aren't including any DO schools?

8. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good question.

I would only apply to Touro in CA and I don't think it's worth the extra essay and money to apply to one AACOMAS school.

9. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would consider removing Rochester (school is big on community service/volunteering) and Minnesota (lower OOS acceptance rate). Consider adding GW (I actually liked it a lot more than Gtown when I interviewed).

10. genswim24

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  11. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks! I did see that page but for some reason Miami remained on the list.

I think I'll replace it with GW, per Rzarecta. I looked at Georgetown's SMP list and a few (2-3 haha) applicants go to GW each year.