Reapplication plan advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just graduated from the University of Texas. I applied this cycle to Texas schools and a couple of mid to higher tier schools. I was only offered an interview to TCOM and put on the waitlist so my current plan is to wait to apply not this cycle but the cycle of 2020.

My current application :

Academic:

MCAT: 507; 128/125/127/127
cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.71

Shadowing:

20 hours - Interventional radiologist
20 hours - Family Practice
60 hours - Pediatrician

Volunteering:

Hospital (St. David's) - 100 hours (Front Desk/ER)
Pre-Health Honor Society - 175 hours - Community service

Experience:

Private piano instructor - 850 hours
Clinical Volunteer Research Associate/Assistant - 450 hours
Head Lifeguard/Facility Manager - 500 hours

The main things I want to add to my application is a better MCAT score and clinical hours working at a doctor's office as a technician/assistant/scribe. I would appreciate any input on my application and my plan going into the future because I will have some time on my hands before trying again for medical school. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

On first glance, I think your application looks fairly strong on the clinical and volunteering side. However, do you have any research at all?

In addition, for MCAT, I would deeply reflect upon how you studied the first time as you decide to re-take, and figure out how a new plan might help you achieve your goal score.

My 2 cents (but also not an adcom):

With that kind of gpa, I'm surprised with your mcat. What resources/strategies/timeframe did you use? Feel like that's your first step.

Now that you're waiting 2 years (which is the correct step), you're firmly in non-trad territory. You've already got 100+100 clinical hours, so I don't really see a massive gap there. Yes you could add more, but return on investment will fall off a bit. However, I'm not seeing anything particularly eye-catching from either a research or a volunteering point of view. You seem to have an interest in music, could you maybe volunteer for an organization that brings music/band to low-income areas? Would show that you actually care (rather than being a box-checker) and could make for a cool personal statement. Alternatively you could max out the research side, but I feel like something else would make you stand out more (may be biased there).

Also may need to change your PS around and definitely need a DO letter if you dont' have.

Members don't see this ad :)
On first glance, I think your application looks fairly strong on the clinical and volunteering side. However, do you have any research at all?

In addition, for MCAT, I would deeply reflect upon how you studied the first time as you decide to re-take, and figure out how a new plan might help you achieve your goal score.
My 2 cents (but also not an adcom):

With that kind of gpa, I'm surprised with your mcat. What resources/strategies/timeframe did you use? Feel like that's your first step.

Now that you're waiting 2 years (which is the correct step), you're firmly in non-trad territory. You've already got 100+100 clinical hours, so I don't really see a massive gap there. Yes you could add more, but return on investment will fall off a bit. However, I'm not seeing anything particularly eye-catching from either a research or a volunteering point of view. You seem to have an interest in music, could you maybe volunteer for an organization that brings music/band to low-income areas? Would show that you actually care (rather than being a box-checker) and could make for a cool personal statement. Alternatively you could max out the research side, but I feel like something else would make you stand out more (may be biased there).

Also may need to change your PS around and definitely need a DO letter if you dont' have.

Is being in non-trad territory bad? Also, clinical volunteer research assistant was done in a psychology lab so I considered it research in my application.

Is being in non-trad territory bad? Also, clinical volunteer research assistant was done in a psychology lab so I considered it research in my application.

Not at all. Gives you a really good opportunity to differentiate yourself (do something not directly clinical/medical), so take advantage of that. It'll make you a better applicant and a better person.

Ahh ok. Maybe change it to clinical research assistant, volunteer paints a different picture. Maybe that's just me.

I considered the research I did fo
Not at all. Gives you a really good opportunity to differentiate yourself (do something not directly clinical/medical), so take advantage of that. It'll make you a better applicant and a better person.

Ahh ok. Maybe change it to clinical research assistant, volunteer paints a different picture. Maybe that's just me.

Thanks for your input!