Reapplication Process - Advice needed! (Academic Update)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savannasierra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,
I'm reapplying to Physical Therapy graduate school this year, and I was wondering if I should take 4 extra classes at community college to increase my PTCAS cGPA, for the academic update? If you think I should, what classes should I take, because I already retook 5 prereqs (Bio I, Chem I, Chem II, Anatomy & Phys I & II) at a community college after I graduated, and received all A's and 1 B.

I graduated from Rutgers New Brunswick in an Exercise Science major, and here are my stats:

cGPA (Rutgers): 2.84
cGPA (community after graduating RU): 3.80
PTCAS cGPA: 2.74
PTCAS last 60 credits GPA: 3.055
PTCAS sGPA (taking the highest grade from retakes): 3.463
GREs: 153/154/4.5
Observation hours: 126 hours (internship) + 58 hours (shadowing) = 184 hours

However, when my PTCAs gpa adds everything together, my GPA is only a 2.74, even after I retook these classes at the community college. I know that no one will look at my application if my GPA is under a 3.0, so I was wondering if maybe I took fall semester classes at my community college, and brought my PTCAS GPA up to at least a 2.9, do you think I would maybe have a chance? I am focusing on applying to DPT programs that look at the last 60 credits. IF I take 4 more classes at community college, after my academic update, (assuming I get all A's) my stats would be:

PTCAS gpa: 2.851
PTCAS last 60 credits GPA: 3.241

1. Should I put down I'm taking 4 extra classes (or more) at community college, so after my academic update, my cGPA may be higher? IF so, what classes should I take? I already retook all my core science prereqs..

2. I'm also thinking of updating my GRE scores also and updating them in AU.

I'm really discouraged because I worked hard to retake my classes and my PTCAS cGPA still looks like dung. I'm also stuck on whether or not I should do the AU because I'm afraid if they reject me before I update my transcript. My LOR are extremely well written by both my professors and physical therapist, however. I waived my right to see them, but my professor showed me what he wrote anyways and he gave me an excellent rec.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a question about the PTCAS gpa, that it sounds like you can answer. So far I have entered my grades but haven't submitted. How will I know how they calculate my gpa before I actually apply?

Are you attached to going to a specific school? Aren't there some schools that don't use PTCAS? I also have heard that there are schools that only look at the retakes for pre-reqs, not the average. I think there are options out there!

Unless your schools make interview decisions after December, no I don't think the classes will help. I don't know the exact requirements of your schools but I would push off applying another cycle and go full time this fall through summer. You need to get your cum GPA higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I know that no one will look at my application if my GPA is under 3.0..."

2.9<3.0

Unless your schools make interview decisions after December, no I don't think the classes will help. I don't know the exact requirements of your schools but I would push off applying another cycle and go full time this fall through summer. You need to get your cum GPA higher.
Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone!
Since I already finished retaking my prereqs, or should I focus on other science courses like Psych, or does it not matter, to get my cGPA up?

It doesn't matter! I took random English classes. Haha.

You HAVE to get your cGPA above a 3.0, with PTCAS now the primary way to apply people are applying to many more schools than they used to (because its just takes a few extra clicks for each school) because of that schools are getting so many more applicants, my school got 1900 applications last year 1900!! With that many coming in there has to be a cut off to weed out some of those applicants so ANYONE not meeting ALL the admission requirements gets tossed away, it does not matter what the rest of your application looks like at all point blank, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but its just the way it is Adcoms don't have the time to go through that many applications. Definitely look around at schools that only take your last 60 credits and I highly suggest you do not apply to any school that you do not meet ALL requirements for because unfortunately you will be wasting all your time and money.

Best of luck, and I agree with above if you already have all your pre-recs done just take some easy classes to boost that GPA and get ALL A's

(I'm assuming from your post that you have mostly As and a few Bs in all your pre reqs correct? If you have any remaining C's or lower Bs, retake those but otherwise it doesn't matter what courses you take.)

Thanks for the great advice everyone! :happy:
And yes, I retook all my science prerequisites a 2nd time, and these are my grades:

1. Biology I: A
2. Biology II: B
3. Chemistry I: A
4. Chemistry II: B
5. Anatomy & Physiology I: A
6. Anatomy & Physiology II: A
7. Physics I: B
8. Physics II: C+

I could probably retake Physics II again, but I heard that they frown upon taking a course the 3rd time, so I'll be taking extra easy classes this fall semester at my community college, as ya'll suggested, to bring my PTCAS cGPA up to a 3.0. (I need 11 more classes to do this). I'm thinking classes such as first aid, etc. I'm planning to apply to graduate programs that will look at my last 60 credits.. but my 60cGPA is like 3.055 and most places have insanely high averages of 60 credit gpas.. feeling so stressed. I'm looking to go to grad schools in New Jersey. Just picked up a part time job at Staples to help pay for classes. *STRESS*

I would retake the physics anyway since you have to do so many classes. If the school won't accept the 3rd time. Whatever. Other schools will.