Reapplication Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PartnParcel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied pretty late but had an MCAT in september so I guess my application was not complete until mid october. Anyway I applied to about 10 schools, intent on deferring. My stats are 3.87cGPA, 3.86sGA, 34(12, 10, 12 O). I did not think I applied too high, but I got 2 interviews, and waitlisted. I have a lot of research(2 yrs), and a wide variety of ECs(intramurals, greek events) lleadership, and community volunteering from being involved in a fraternity. My Recs are good. However, apart from extensive shadowing and about a month of clinical volunteering when I was a freshman I had little clinical experience. I am assuming this is the main reason I got beat up on the apps. Probably pretty unconvincing as to why I wanted to be a doctor right?

Luckily, I graduated in the fall and have been able to get involved with volunteering for a clinic (16hrs/week), and ER shadowing/volunteering (4-5 hrs/week). I have also been able to do some local youth coaching and community volunteering for the past 2 months.

Anyway, my question is, do I have enough time to be competitive for the summer cycle, especially applying to schools that just rejected me? How much does reapplying hurt you compared to applying for the first time? What else should I do to be competitive. Do I need to take a year off?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think your main weaknesses are your lack of shadowing and clinical hours as well as the late application. How many hours of volunteering and shadowing will you have by June?

Yeah, I think your main weaknesses are your lack of shadowing and clinical hours as well as the late application. How many hours of volunteering and shadowing will you have by June?

Maybe like 400 clinical volunteering, 80 shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe like 400 clinical volunteering, 80 shadowing.

I don't think you need to take a year off then. Your numbers are fine and you seem to have worked hard at getting a good amount of clinical volunteering & shadowing. Reapplication shouldn't hurt you as long as schools can see that you've stayed busy and made improvements from one year to the next. You will, however, need to write a new PS and possibly get updated letters if they are more than a couple years old. Apply early this time.

I think you should reapply this year.
Who are your LOR's from? Do you think they say really good things? Do you have one that is from a physician?