Reapplication...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading this thread and some constants have really popped out:
-applying late
-low MCAT and or GPA
-applying to too few schools.

However, I applied in late June, was verified early July and was complete at all schools by late August. I turned around my secondaries very quickly.
My GPA is 3.6 at a top university and my MCATs are 32. As you can see from my mdapps, I applied super broadly...
I had good LORs and good ECs, so I am thinking that the fact that I am Canadian really killed me.
I can't seem to find another reason, since I was very careful not to make the mistakes mentionned above. However, this makes my rejections even more depressing because I don't know their reasons.
What do you guys think? What would you increase, improve in my file in order to reapply?
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Extra-curriculars?
Volunteering? Shadowing? Clinical experience?
How were your letters of recommendation?
MCAT breakdown?
Overall GPA vs. BCMP?

Did you get any interviews? If so, maybe the interviews are your weak point.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sucks. If I had seen your app before I started my pre-med tract, I would have given up right there. I'd be really upset (as I'm sure you are) if I didn't make it in with your app. I know people with far worse that got in all over the place.

Like you and some of the other above posters stated, Canadian or bad interviewer, I guess. I dunno what else to say...

Edit -- The one thing I would try to do if I were you is start another clinical volunteer experience (or maybe shadowing) before the '09 application cycle. Maybe ER volunteering or a cancer hospital?

You sure do sound qualified so it really sucks you didn't get in! Maybe your weak point is your interview skills. I know plenty of people who didn't have your credentials but were awesome at doing interviews that they got into more places that people who merely qualified on paper. Also doing some volunteer work OUTSIDE of medicine is also good- shows schools that you have interests outside of medicine, and that you're probably more well-rounded. Good luck!

One of my suggestions is if nothing happens, contact the schools you at least interviewed at and see if you can talk to someone about how to improve your application. I'm sure some schools would be willing to offer advice or look over your app to give you a better picture. Sorry to hear about everything... I think some schools are more kind to Canadian citizens (I think SLU is one of them)

Thanks for your advice. I called a lot of schools and most won't tell me anything. I called the places where I interviewed and apparently, my interviews went really, really well according to the deans. One of them actually kept repeating just how much I had impressed the interviewers.
At this point, I really don't know what went wrong. I think it is the fact that I am average in every way and so no one gave me a second look.

Thanks for your advice. I called a lot of schools and most won't tell me anything. I called the places where I interviewed and apparently, my interviews went really, really well according to the deans. One of them actually kept repeating just how much I had impressed the interviewers.
At this point, I really don't know what went wrong. I think it is the fact that I am average in every way and so no one gave me a second look.
Well, I would take what the deans have said with a grain of salt. I heard all sorts of praise when I was in much the same position, only to be rejected repeatedly. The dean's job is to provide the school with high-quality applicants every year. If you're on the cusp, you'll help them fill the roster next year if they hit a bad year (low # of apps, low scoring applicants, etc.), so it's in their interest to string you along.

Not that you have much choice.

My advice - apply as early as possible, apply to many schools 25+, do not apply to in-state schools unless you are a resident of that state, and apply broadly. Do not take the rejections as personal and do not think of yourself as average.

Hey Rxn,
Thanks for the heads up. Your suggestions are really good. I'm reading your reapplication posts and they really help.