Sep 16, 2015
I have a situation that is probably going to get a lot of frustration and backlash from SDN users. Please try to be nice and constructive in your responses, I am looking for thoughtful advice!

This past cycle I was accepted to a couple medical schools. I ended up having a pretty severe panic attack before starting and I made the rash decision to decline my acceptance at the school I chose to go to a few days before class started. Obviously this was a terrible decision and I have never had so much regret in my life. I am currently working on getting my anxiety treated and under control.

It is still my dream to become a doctor. If I reapply in the 2016-2017 cycle is there any chance I will get an acceptance? In other threads people say you are "blacklisted" if you deny an acceptance. I am really hoping it's not that black and white if I can prove to adcoms that my passion for medicine has not changed. Thanks for reading.

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You are blacklisted at the schools you declined an acceptance to. No chance of getting in there.

I don't really know about other schools that you didnt apply to.

Jun 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I think it depends on the reason you gave for not attending?
I applied in the last cycle and gained a late acceptance. I explained that I already had commitments for this year and declined. I now have an interview for the same school for this cycle.

YMMV though

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You are blacklisted at the schools you declined an acceptance to. No chance of getting in there.

I don't really know about other schools that you didnt apply to.
Most schools will ask "have you ever been accepted to another medical school in a previous cycle" or something like that. Some schools explicitly won't take people who have gone through a successful MD application cycle, while others implicitly won't.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Realistically it's probably doable. But you better come back bearing gifts and promise them you'll never leave them again (make sure to tear up at that point).

Nymphicus

kane o ke kai
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would say it would be a very steep, uphill battle.

Doctors (and medical students) face many anxiety-inducing situations. If your past performance indicates you do not handle stressful situations well, to the point where you will sacrifice your "dream and passion" because it somehow became too overwhelming--it's not a good sign.

OP
L
Sep 16, 2015
Thanks for the input. It's what I was expecting but still disappointing. I only applied MD last time, would there be a better chance at DO schools since its a different application?

Nymphicus

kane o ke kai
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you still wish to apply to medical school I would recommend the following:

1.) Make sure your anxiety is well managed
2.) Apply broadly to both MD and DO
3.) Ask yourself is there something else you can see yourself happily doing besides medical school

Reactions: Goro

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Realistically it's probably doable. But you better come back bearing gifts and promise them you'll never leave them again (make sure to tear up at that point).
I would say it would be a very steep, uphill battle..
It is realistically nearly impossible, particularly for your particular situation. It was a rash decision, a few days before classes, from a disorder that can rear its ugly head in a multitude of bad ways as a medical student. However, the only thing you can do is try.

Reactions: MrLogan13 and Goro

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd say the chances don't look too good.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I suspect that you had your chance and blew it. Why, may I ask, didn't you simply ask for a leave of absence?

If you were accepted to MD schools, then you do have chances with DO schools, because the two don't communicate with each other.

But don't even think about a career in Medicine until your anxiety issues are fully controlled.

This is a very sad case and I wish you well.

I have a situation that is probably going to get a lot of frustration and backlash from SDN users. Please try to be nice and constructive in your responses, I am looking for thoughtful advice!

This past cycle I was accepted to a couple medical schools. I ended up having a pretty severe panic attack before starting and I made the rash decision to decline my acceptance at the school I chose to go to a few days before class started. Obviously this was a terrible decision and I have never had so much regret in my life. I am currently working on getting my anxiety treated and under control.

It is still my dream to become a doctor. If I reapply in the 2016-2017 cycle is there any chance I will get an acceptance? In other threads people say you are "blacklisted" if you deny an acceptance. I am really hoping it's not that black and white if I can prove to adcoms that my passion for medicine has not changed. Thanks for reading.

Noomm

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
On the bright side, you probably made someone really happy when they found out that they got off the waitlist!

intangible

a tiny existentialist
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Your stats were clearly good enough to garner multiple acceptances. Apply to other schools; your chances at the same schools are shot.

idontknowwhatnametopick

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the input. It's what I was expecting but still disappointing. I only applied MD last time, would there be a better chance at DO schools since its a different application?
Did you apply in Texas last year? If not, that might be an option now. It's also a separate application. I believe they still ask if you've ever applied to med schools in the past though. And it's hard to get in if you're OOS unless your application is really really good.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Did you apply in Texas last year? If not, that might be an option now. It's also a separate application. I believe they still ask if you've ever applied to med schools in the past though. And it's hard to get in if you're OOS unless your application is really really good.
While its a separate application, AMCAS collects stats from TMDSAS. I am unsure how linked the Texas schools are linked into the National Acceptance Report but all the schools are members of AAMC and certainly could have access to it

idontknowwhatnametopick

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
While its a separate application, AMCAS collects stats from TMDSAS. I am unsure how linked the Texas schools are linked into the National Acceptance Report but all the schools are members of AAMC and certainly could have access to it
They definitely ask which other schools you are applying to this cycle (including AMCAS schools). I don't know if they ask if you applied to any schools in the past though. Obviously if they do ask the OP should absolutely list the schools from last cycle.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
They definitely ask which other schools you are applying to this cycle (including AMCAS schools). I don't know if they ask if you applied to any schools in the past though. Obviously if they do ask the OP should absolutely list the schools from last cycle.
Asking or not, their automatic system may pull data from AMCAS/National Acceptance report, especially if TMDSAS application has any connection from AMCAS ID. I dont know how MCAT score is transmitted to TMDSAS but it may connect the two

idontknowwhatnametopick

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Asking or not, their automatic system may pull data from AMCAS/National Acceptance report, especially if TMDSAS application has any connection from AMCAS ID. I dont know how MCAT score is transmitted to TMDSAS but it may connect the two
This whole system is so obscure.

MrLogan13

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Sorry OP, but it looks like your chances are very, very low with a previous acceptance.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Evaluate the reasons behind why medicine is your dream and why alternate possibilities are simply not something you would ever consider before trying to go down the medical path again. And by that I mean, over the course of months, perhaps even a few years if necessary, not in 3-4 weeks. Someone who is capable of getting into multiple MD schools is very capable of alot of things in this world that don't involve medicine.

You really really have to be honest with yourself here with what caused that panic attack and caused you to haphazardly drop medicine all together. I personally have no idea if you are but when you are saying 3 weeks after it happened "I'm over it" and "It's my goal again to pursue medicine", but there are a number of indications a person reading this could believe that you haven't been completely and haven't really fully addressed what caused such hesitation and panic from your part aboutgoing down this path.

staffcat

2+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2015
Why does admission process have to be like this? There are many factors that can make some people decline, i.e., tuition, cost, curriculum, etc.
Besides, I heard from other people on SDN who declined acceptances and got into other schools in the next cycle. I don't know whether the schools knew about it in their cases, though, probably did.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Why does admission process have to be like this? There are many factors that can make some people decline, i.e., tuition, cost, curriculum, etc.
Besides, I heard from other people on SDN who declined acceptances and got into other schools in the next cycle. I don't know whether the schools knew about it in their cases, though, probably did.
We take this process very seriously.
A person who doesn't show up for his wedding may have good reasons too, but a subsequent bride would be foolish not to consider the personal qualities that may be associated with such rash behavior.

Rainbow Zebra

Long, hard journey
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2015
GO BLUE!
Status

My advice would be to ask for a deferral for one year. However, that ship has already sailed. Sorry your mental health issues reared up at a most inopportune time. Best wishes to you.

staffcat

2+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2015
A person who doesn't show up for his wedding may have good reasons too, but a subsequent bride would be foolish not to consider the personal qualities that may be associated with such rash behavior.
This analogy :D We tend to advice others to not judge your partners based on their pasts :hardy:

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
We take this process very seriously.
Always a bridesmaid never a bride should be applied to waitlist

Reactions: Easonred57

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
This past cycle I was accepted to a couple medical schools. I ended up having a pretty severe panic attack before starting and I made the rash decision to decline my acceptance at the school I chose to go to a few days before class started.
Oh by the way, for purposes of your answer to why you declined: The bolded never happened.

Obviously this was a terrible decision and I have never had so much regret in my life. I am currently working on getting my anxiety treated and under control
Maybe it wasn't a terrible decision at the time. You're an adult. You can do whatever you want. It's extremely easy (and therefore perfectly normal) to say no to what will be a highly stressful opportunity -- you simply took the path of least resistance, which I think is fairly rational for someone that, at least at the time, felt they really couldn't see themselves doing medicine, or just felt the amount of work and schooling unnecessary to get a great job that they could be happy with. I don't know though. The hilarious thing to me is that once you're in, yes the hard part is starting, but holy crap the uncertainty is completely gone. You're doing it and you're definitively on the path, with no more second guesses about if you're good enough or whatever. See for me, the panic attack stuff is happening now, and I'm absolutely sure it will subside once I finally just freakin' know: I'm definitively gonna be a doc. That's the torturous thing about sitting in UG pre-med purgatory, which you no longer had to worry about at the time you got in. That's just why I kind of thought freaking out was a bit of a weird (yet still understandable) reaction. I will be the exact opposite -- there will be a huge sigh of relief if/when I get my first acceptance.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
This analogy :D We tend to advice others to not judge your partners based on their pasts :hardy:
Actually we don't give this advice.
One can generally expect behaviors to be repeated.
Every job you will ever have will require a resume showing what your past history is like. Every medical school application is a compendium of what you have done in the past which is an indicator of your motivation, commitment and achievement of your future. Since there is no way to see future performance, you can only use the past to judge.

staffcat

2+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2015
We have not interviewed candidates who were previously accepted to any medical school.
How do you know this? I think it was mentioned on SDN that schools only know about previous acceptances AFTER they make a decision on an applicant?

Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2011
The South
Status
What if they had to decline for health reasons? Obviously, deferment is an infinitely better solution here, but some schools, like Wake Forest, are really strict about deferment.

Let's say that they were accepted at one of these schools, and needed to defer, and the school said no. Are they still blacklisted?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
How do you know this? I think it was mentioned on SDN that schools only know about previous acceptances AFTER they make a decision on an applicant?
After April, EVERY school can see ANY acceptance or matriculation status of ANY applicant. With most schools using AMCAS enabled tools, it may automatically populate their application system via the applicant's AMCAS ID

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html

In April of the application year, medical schools will have access to the National Acceptance Report, which lists every applicant with an acceptance or matriculated action.

staffcat

2+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2015
After April, EVERY school can see ANY acceptance or matriculation status of ANY applicant. With most schools using AMCAS enabled tools, it may automatically populate their application system via the applicant's AMCAS ID

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html

In April of the application year, medical schools will have access to the National Acceptance Report, which lists every applicant with an acceptance or matriculated action.
But April is way past interview timeframe, isn't it?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
What if they had to decline for health reasons? Obviously, deferment is an infinitely better solution here, but some schools, like Wake Forest, are really strict about deferment.

Let's say that they were accepted at one of these schools, and needed to defer, and the school said no. Are they still blacklisted?
I have not yet seen a case in which a student was not granted a deferral for medical cause.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
But April is way past interview timeframe, isn't it?
But it would have been in a National Acceptance Report from previous April; not the current year.

carol8990

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh boy...what if a student was accepted to an OOS school two days before classes started and could not possibly relocate (for financial reasons) and be prepared to start and was also not able to get a deferral? Hypothetically speaking...

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Medical is medical.
Unless the disorder were associated with an unacceptable behavior, it would fall under a medical LOA or deferral.
So....say OP's problem comes up and he/she needs to go on leave for some psych-evaluated panic attack disorder. Would you grant this or just drop OP altogether?

Oh boy...what if a student was accepted to an OOS school two days before classes started and could not possibly relocate (for financial reasons) and be prepared to start and was also not able to get a deferral? Hypothetically speaking...
I guess that student needs to hope the school has recorded lectures.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
@gyngyn do DO schools check the acceptance report?
I don't know.
They are not connected to the AMCAS database so I doubt it.
However, with the combination of the residency systems, there has been some talk of the sharing more data between the AMCAS and AACOMAS systems. Also, there was at least 1 or 2 DO schools that had started putting a question on secondaries about have been accepted or attended any medical school that was worded to include off shore

Reactions: StudyLater

Lancer

5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Then they should have taken themselves off of the waitlist at the point they realized they could not relocate (for financial reasons)

Reactions: MrLogan13 and Goro