Reapply or Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ddubz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks for any advice presented in response to my question.

Background:
First generation college student from a medically underserved and rural area and a disadvantaged family. Non-traditional 28 year old male, married with two kids born during undergrad between 2019-2021. (Yes, I had a COVID baby).
Started college in high school in 2010 and did poorly early on before quitting until 2018. Did really well in undergrad until the semester after my 1st kid was born when I failed Ochem 1 and then COVID hit and everything went online.

Anyway, LSS…
Philosophy major and chem minor
cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 2.91
GPA trend is upward overall but very small slope.
MCAT cumulative 499
C/P: 123
B/B: 123
CARS: 125
PSB: 127

I have about 2000 hours of clinical experience 700 hours of volunteering and 600 hours of research experience.

My mission is to address the healthcare needs of the rural and underserved areas and I’m very interested in OMT and I truly believe in the Osteopathic philosophy.

Despite these things. I’m faced with a difficult decision. In a period of despair and desperation I applied to a Caribbean medical school, AUC (one of the big four) and was accepted in March 2022 and I placed my deposit and decided to go to the Caribbean. Several weeks after placing my deposit I received an interview invite and I interviewed this past week at a DO school in my state.

So my conundrum is that my flight to Sint Maarten to start school at AUC is April 26th and I’m not sure if I should just cancel my flight and wait out to see if I get accepted to the DO school or just go and make the best of it down in the Caribbean or defer my entry and reapply to DO schools early in the cycle rather than late like I did this past cycle or even some other unseen option.

I’m aware of the difficulty in getting a residency as an IMG. Despite AUC advertising a 90% residency match rate I can’t help but feel like the numbers are skewed and there is of course the hardship of leaving my family to go to a foreign country.

However I’m also cognizant of the opportunity cost of waiting another year to reapply, especially if I have a chance at getting a family med residency after AUC.

I’ve gotten advice in another thread but with not nearly as much detail and it was off-topic so I wanted to come here to get further advice without disturbing another threads topic.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not go to the Caribbean. It is already a bad idea for typical students. I would definitely not recommend it for somebody who is married and has a family of their own to support.

Reactions: 12 users
Caribbean is risky. I've seen estimates that after attrition, boards and the match only about half of people who start at a Caribbean school actually become physicians. For many it takes more than 4 years to graduate. There is not a lot of support for students so students with weaker test taking skills will eventually get kicked out, but not before they milk them out of a couple years' worth of tuition.

With a bit of improvement you would have a shot at newer DO schools which are still a little risky but nowhere near as bad as the Caribbean, plus fewer island-related expenses and inconveniences.

Most schools screen for MCAT ≥ 500. 504 was the average for DO matriculants last cycle. Would you be able to commit a couple hundred hours to studying for and retaking the MCAT? If you could get a 505 that would put you in a good position.

Your GPA won't get screened out since the minimum is usually ≥ 3.2 but the average for matriculants last year was around 3.5.

Since you're a first gen college student and from a rural, medically underserved area you would be a strong fit for the mission at a lot of rural DO schools. They may be able to overlook lower than average stats because of that. Unfortunately I don't know an exact numerical value.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not go to the Caribbean. I would remove that option entirely.

Reactions: 3 users
I promise you opportunity cost is not applicable here. If you fall victim to attrition, you will be out 50k+ and have the withdrawal on your transcripts. Other med schools will see this when you apply, there is no such thing as pity in admissions. You are the perfect fit for vast majority of DO schools, you are literally describing nearly every mission statement. What you need to do is really take the time to improve your application if you do not get in this cycle. Dedicating a couple hundred of hours to MCAT and maybe taking some upper level science classes (that will help you in medical school in the long run) will help to ensure you won't fail boards or fall victim to the rigors of schooling. There is a reason the standards are high, this material and level of depth is hard. Please don't take a shortcut and lose out on getting a sure fire way to a $250,000 salary. There is a lot of self-victimization in the DO world (and SDN in general), but if you go in with your eyes open and accept there is a ceiling (ie you will likely match somewhere without name recognition, but still in a good program in your selected field), you will become a physician. 1/4 of medical students will have DO after their name, this in not a risky path to take and you will have much better outcomes than if you went to the Caribbean. Prove to yourself and the admissions committees that you can handle the rigors of medical school, just like the rest of us had to do.

Here is a simplified infographic from NRMP:

1650805390465.png

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
You would be better off to do a DIY post bacc in the coming year and take enough undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . You should also retake any science prerequisites that you failed or received a D grade. Every year there are 1 or 2 new DO schools opening and some existing schools are expanding class sizes. Apply broadly to at least 25 schools and include all the new schools (any school that has opened up in the past 5 years).

Reactions: 5 users
Cancel that flight. DO is much better. If need be, do a postbac/SMP. Check on all the schools (allopathic included) that have programs with rural health tracks. Check with your local federally qualified health center or AHEC.

You might not get a seat at that DO school (or you might depending on how the cycle goes), but if you have a hometown health care system that takes students or graduates from that DO school, there is a reasonable incentive for the school to try to train and keep you in the area.

However I’m also cognizant of the opportunity cost of waiting another year to reapply, especially if I have a chance at getting a family med residency after AUC.

I’ve gotten advice in another thread but with not nearly as much detail and it was off-topic so I wanted to come here to get further advice without disturbing another threads topic.
do NOT go tot he Carib. Right now that lip-smacking sound you hear off in the background is AUC salivating at the thought of yet another desperate or gullible mark.

Read this:

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone,

Background:
First generation college student from a medically underserved and rural area and a disadvantaged family. Non-traditional 28 year old male, married with two kids born during undergrad between 2019-2021. (Yes, I had a COVID baby).
Started college in high school in 2010 and did poorly early on before quitting until 2018. Did really well in undergrad until the semester after my 1st kid was born when I failed Ochem 1 and then COVID hit and everything went online.

Anyway, LSS…
MCAT cumulative 499

I have about 2000 hours of clinical experience 700 hours of volunteering and 600 hours of research experience.

My mission is to address the healthcare needs of the rural and underserved areas and I’m very interested in OMT and I truly believe in the Osteopathic philosophy.

Despite these things. I’m faced with a difficult decision. In a period of despair and desperation I applied to a Caribbean medical school, AUC (one of the big four) and was accepted in March 2022 and I placed my deposit and decided to go to the Caribbean. Several weeks after placing my deposit I received an interview invite and I interviewed this past week at a DO school in my state.

So my conundrum is that my flight to Sint Maarten to start school at AUC is April 26th and I’m not sure if I should just cancel my flight and wait out to see if I get accepted to the DO school or just go and make the best of it down in the Caribbean or defer my entry and reapply to DO schools early in the cycle rather than late like I did this past cycle or even some other unseen option.

I’m aware of the difficulty in getting a residency as an IMG. Despite AUC advertising a 90% residency match rate I can’t help but feel like the numbers are skewed and there is of course the hardship of leaving my family to go to a foreign country.

Honestly as a parent going into medical school myself I would not go to the Caribbean. Once you start medical school with a family the only way out that doesn't screw over your family is getting through it. They weed like half of their classes out so you are at a real risk for getting kicked out.

Going to medical school and not being able to see your family is going to have a major impact on your resolve. You're going to miss so much of your kids development and your partner may feel like a single parent for 4 years.

Once you start this journey you have to see it through I would pick a school with better odds. Fix your GPA and MCAT and get into a DO school. Going to the Caribbean is a cop-out.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate all the advice provided here. I have canceled my flight to AUC and am making plans to improve my application and reapply if I’m not accepted this year at ACOM.

THANKS

Reactions: 10 users
I appreciate all the advice provided here. I have canceled my flight to AUC and am making plans to improve my application and reapply if I’m not accepted this year at ACOM.

THANKS
You've got this man! Good luck, I hope you make it into ACOM, if not you'll still find your way

Members don't see this ad :)
Good decision. The reason carib match rate is 'high' is because, as I understand it, they give practice step exams and kick out the people who don't do well enough (after they've taken their tuition). So the folks left are the ones they expect to do really well on Step I and therefore have a higher chance of matching.

I don't know what their game plan is now with p/f Step I.

Reactions: 1 users
Good decision. The reason carib match rate is 'high' is because, as I understand it, they give practice step exams and kick out the people who don't do well enough (after they've taken their tuition). So the folks left are the ones they expect to do really well on Step I and therefore have a higher chance of matching.

I don't know what their game plan is now with p/f Step I.
Well, they're under no obligation to report the truth.

By adding your MCAT is 498 not 499 unless there is a typo.

MCAT cumulative 499

Maybe postbacc ro SMP. I would suggest postbacc, do some science classes at community college and bring your sGPA to >3.0 Maybe re-take MCAT when you are ready.

Think of your kids. If you go carib, there is a chance that you could ruin their futures (with the financial albatross that is 300k+ debt on a 50k per year salary)

My reccomendation. Keep improving app, but also gain skills and experience in another career path while you apply again. Best of luck

Also the 2 new Montana schools may love your rural focus. I would also expect their average stats to be pretty low for their first class. Would still be a better option than the Caribbean

Also the 2 new Montana schools may love your rural focus. I would also expect their average stats to be pretty low for their first class. Would still be a better option than the Caribbean
I would treat all brand new DO schools as you would the Caribbean.

I would treat all brand new DO schools as you would the Caribbean.
I love that you want OP to good school. But you have to be realistic, OPs stats are not great, and getting in to any US DO school would be a great outcome. Usually new schools are easier to get into, thats why I mentioned them.

I love that you want OP to good school. But you have to be realistic, OPs stats are not great, and getting in to any US DO school would be a great outcome. Usually new schools are easier to get into, thats why I mentioned them.
They got an interview to ACOM, which isn’t fantastic but it’s far better than a brand new rural DO school in a state that doesn’t want them there.

No. I do not think getting into any US DO school is a great outcome. The match rates, board pass rates, and attrition rates at many of them are atrocious and honestly much closer to a Caribbean school than to the standards that we should expect out of a US medical school.

OP do this right. Fix the deficiencies in your app and go to a decent school.

They got an interview to ACOM, which isn’t fantastic but it’s far better than a brand new rural DO school in a state that doesn’t want them there.

No. I do not think getting into any US DO school is a great outcome. The match rates, board pass rates, and attrition rates at many of them are atrocious and honestly much closer to a Caribbean school than to the standards that we should expect out of a US medical school.

Which DO schools? Don't be shy now.

I say this kindly but take that bias elsewhere. As someone who spent MULTIPLE cycles trying to get at least one DO acceptance... no. Getting into ANY US medical school is a great outcome, whether it's MD or DO, whether it's a new DO school or not, etc etc.

Reactions: 6 users
I say this kindly but take that bias elsewhere. As someone who spent MULTIPLE cycles trying to get at least one DO acceptance... no. Getting into ANY US medical school is a great outcome, whether it's MD or DO, whether it's a new DO school or not, etc etc.
I understand the bristling at my comments from someone in your situation, but I don’t take my statements back. My advice to you, keep your head down and don’t trust your school for anything. They do NOT have your best interests at heart.

DOVinciRobot's comments are accurate. Getting accepted into a DO school with dismal match rates, well, is not a "great outcome."

Agree with above about not all DO acceptances necessarily being a great outcome. Keep in mind that some places will still have MD over DO bias and someone out of Carib with an MD may even have a better chance than a new/low DO school.

We all think that if we get in, we'll be the one to be a superstar and make it. It's just not always the case. There are so many moving parts that go into getting through medical school, getting a residency spot, and getting through residency.

There are posts on this forum about people failing an exam at their DO school that made them fail their class and they then just straight away got kicked out of their school. That is NOT having a student's best interest at heart. I went to a well known allopathic and every year there were a few people who floundered. The school gave all of them a chance to take classes or whole years over again. I don't know of one person who was kicked out while I was there. The school cares about their students' success. This can make a huge difference.

Hey everyone,

Background:

Anyway, LSS…
MCAT cumulative 499

You've probably already made your decision. But I just wanted to generally agree with the advice of other people here about the DO route. I went to a lower tier carib school, MUA in Nevis. Had kids and married, worked my ass off terrified of a mid life disaster and, with God's help, made it all the way through residency, psychiatry. Finished med school in 3.5 years, just bragging a little. Barely passed each USMLE step on the first try. But I agree on most points with the really good advice here. It was difficult in soooo many ways, for me, to be stuck on a foreign Island. On the other hand my wife loved it, great spouse/kids community for support. Not knowing anything about DO route and believing the advice here, I agree with DO. I will say the high attrtion rate generally occurs in younger people working out their personal problems and having gone there for the wrong reasons, such as family pressure or personal pressure. With the top 4, I would believe the 90% residency placement for those who actually graduate medical school and pass step one.

You've probably already made your decision. But I just wanted to generally agree with the advice of other people here about the DO route. I went to a lower tier carib school, MUA in Nevis. Had kids and married, worked my ass off terrified of a mid life disaster and, with God's help, made it all the way through residency, psychiatry. Finished med school in 3.5 years, just bragging a little. Barely passed each USMLE step on the first try. But I agree on most points with the really good advice here. It was difficult in soooo many ways, for me, to be stuck on a foreign Island. On the other hand my wife loved it, great spouse/kids community for support. Not knowing anything about DO route and believing the advice here, I agree with DO. I will say the high attrtion rate generally occurs in younger people working out their personal problems and having gone there for the wrong reasons, such as family pressure or personal pressure. With the top 4, I would believe the 90% residency placement for those who actually graduate medical school and pass step one.
The problem is that the risk adjusted returns almost never justify carribean and with a 499 MCAT, the OP might fall into a bracket that is more likely to fail. I saw on Dave Ramsey show a person who went Carib, took out 400k in loans, and is working as a bio teacher. Even if there is a 5% chance of this happening, it’s not worth it

Just wanted to add if you're feeling any time pressure, please know that pressure is not real. I know it can feel like, as you approach 30 that you're nearing some sort of deadline. I promise that deadline is made up, and the points (years) really DO NOT matter. I started med school at 34, and there are several people older than me in my class. As others have said, hold out for the DO school you interviewed at, and if it doesn't work out take the time you need to retake the MCAT for a more competitive score. Good luck!

When did you go to the Caribbean? Lately there are things that have been happening that make ones odds of matching lower and will likely continue into the future. New schools have been opening up in the US taking residency and rotation spots away from Caribbean students. Over the years DO schools have become way more competitive with MD schools and most outclass Caribbean matches. This is likely making programs that used to be reluctant about taking a DO student rethink this and will lead to them taking a DO over a Caribbean MD.

This part isn't directed at you psych but op I have a family member in law that went to the Caribbean in the 2000s who is very out of touch with how this works today and tried to pressure me into going to a Caribbean school instead of reapplying. They still have the mindset from back then that DO is a lesser degree that makes less qualified physicians. The DO school I'm going to in the fall matches ortho, GS, and Derm pretty much every year when it's hard to match family med or IM as a Caribbean grad nowadays. If someone who graduated more than 10 years ago from the Caribbean is trying to tell you to go there be reluctant as their information is likely outdated.

When did you go to the Caribbean? Lately there are things that have been happening that make ones odds of matching lower and will likely continue into the future. New schools have been opening up in the US taking residency and rotation spots away from Caribbean students. Over the years DO schools have become way more competitive with MD schools and most outclass Caribbean matches. This is likely making programs that used to be reluctant about taking a DO student rethink this and will lead to them taking a DO over a Caribbean MD.

This part isn't directed at you psych but op I have a family member in law that went to the Caribbean in the 2000s who is very out of touch with how this works today and tried to pressure me into going to a Caribbean school instead of reapplying. They still have the mindset from back then that DO is a lesser degree that makes less qualified physicians. The DO school I'm going to in the fall matches ortho, GS, and Derm pretty much every year when it's hard to match family med or IM as a Caribbean grad nowadays. If someone who graduated more than 10 years ago from the Caribbean is trying to tell you to go there be reluctant as their information is likely outdated.

I'm sure it's different but I'm not sure it's riskier now than when I graduated in 2010. Physician shortage is an advantage for IMGs. It's also hard to comment just from my own experiences because there are so many individual factors.

The average GPA and MCAT of the typical applicant in 2010 was a 3.53 and the MCAT equivalent of a 506. Nowadays the average applicant back then would have only a decent shot at DO schools. These programs know how competitive it is to get in and someone that gets accepted in the United States will have an advantage.

Ok...but what schools are those exactly?
I’ve heard that some DO schools have high attrition rates (although no nearly that of a Caribbean school). Even if placement rate is high, one needs to consider attrition rate which usually isn’t published

The only reason that people feel comfortable with even low tier MD schools without knowing these rates is due to the fact that LCME is much stricter.

I’ve heard that some DO schools have high attrition rates (although no nearly that of a Caribbean school). Even if placement rate is high, one needs to consider attrition rate which usually isn’t published

The only reason that people feel comfortable with even low tier MD schools without knowing these rates is due to the fact that LCME is much stricter.
On average, DO schools have virtually the same attention rates as MD schools.

I understand the bristling at my comments from someone in your situation, but I don’t take my statements back. My advice to you, keep your head down and don’t trust your school for anything. They do NOT have your best interests at heart.
I get it. Although, I've seen people both in DO and MD schools fail out. I will say that I was very lucky to get into a very reputable DO school that DOES give out LOTS of chances (I'm doing an SMP here and know people who failed 2-3 classes and still got to progress with their class, as long as they retook the following year, while in some situations, if they completely failed, they had a redo the next year).

At the end of the day, I personally believe a newer DO school >>>> any Caribbean school.

Considering OP has under a 500 MCAT and under a 3.0 sGPA, I think getting into any US school is a win. One would think maybe, hopefully (but maybe not) Touro and RVU would know what they're doing, they've opened new schools before and recently.

Ok...but what schools are those exactly?
ICOM, BCOM, ARCOM, whatever that new one is in Utah, the new one in Louisiana, any new one opening soon or that has opened within the last 2 years.

I’m not going to give you some comprehensive list. It’s clear you just want to be argumentative. People are grown ups and can make their own decisions, all I can do is be the voice of warning. Not all DO schools are equal. With the rapid expansion there are schools out there where it would be better to reapply or never go at all than to matriculate.

ICOM, BCOM, ARCOM, whatever that new one is in Utah, the new one in Louisiana, any new one opening soon or that has opened within the last 2 years.

I’m not going to give you some comprehensive list. It’s clear you just want to be argumentative. People are grown ups and can make their own decisions, all I can do is be the voice of warning. Not all DO schools are equal. With the rapid expansion there are schools out there where it would be better to reapply or never go at all than to matriculate.
How was I being argumentive? I just asked which schools.

Considering OP has under a 500 MCAT and under a 3.0 sGPA, I think getting into any US school is a win. One would think maybe, hopefully (but maybe not) Touro and RVU would know what they're doing, they've opened new schools before and recently.
RVU Utah match was In the high 90s this year

By adding your MCAT is 498 not 499 unless there is a typo.

MCAT cumulative 499

Maybe postbacc ro SMP. I would suggest postbacc, do some science classes at community college and bring your sGPA to >3.0 Maybe re-take MCAT when you are ready.

MCAT is 499. I could be mistaken in the CARS score.

Just wanted to add if you're feeling any time pressure, please know that pressure is not real. I know it can feel like, as you approach 30 that you're nearing some sort of deadline. I promise that deadline is made up, and the points (years) really DO NOT matter. I started med school at 34, and there are several people older than me in my class. As others have said, hold out for the DO school you interviewed at, and if it doesn't work out take the time you need to retake the MCAT for a more competitive score. Good luck!

Really appreciate this advice. You hit a chord that I didn’t even realize was part of the song.

DOVinciRobot's comments are accurate. Getting accepted into a DO school with dismal match rates, well, is not a "great outcome."
There's nuance to this. Poor matches can be more of a reflection of a new school having to accept any warm body and NOT dismiss them because the schools need their tuition dollars.

There's nuance to this. Poor matches can be more of a reflection of a new school having to accept any warm body and NOT dismiss them because the schools need their tuition dollars.
People never believe that they are “the warm body.”

• Haha
People never believe that they are “the warm body.”
I think the fact that they are not applying as an IMG alone makes it worth attending any school here over a Caribbean school. Plus schools here have more competition so they have more pressure to provide a quality education lest they get judged by other medical schools and makes it harder for them to work for other medical schools if they ever want to move.

So, I just wanted to update everyone that I got waitlisted at ACOM. So, I’m extremely glad that I didn’t go to Caribbean!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
So, I just wanted to update everyone that I got waitlisted at ACOM. So, I’m extremely glad that I didn’t go to Caribbean!
Nice hope you get off that waitlist!

Any DO school is better than a carib tho.. look at ARCOM and ICOM match lists, with a much smaller class size their match lists still look much better than even SGU and Ross with an astronomical class size. The IMG classification on your ERAS app is a HUGE hurdle and red flag when applying for residency and thats why any DO school is much much better, you aren't classified as an IMG.. eventhough you can make the argument that these brand new DO schools wont have adequate resources, faculty etc and wont have a good curriculum, I'd wager its still significantly better than going to the carib with a 600 person class size, and its still better than not getting into any US medical school either and not at least having a shot at becoming a doctor. TBH most ACGME PD's dont know much about how to stratify DO schools, its much more regional anyways. Someone from the south may have no idea what PCOM or ATSU are but will know LMU, ACOM, ARCOM, WCU etc... Always go to the best most established school you can but if the only US medical school you get into is a brand new DO school, well you run with that and do the best you can... This is just my two cents..

Reactions: 6 users
Any DO school is better than a carib tho.. look at ARCOM and ICOM match lists, with a much smaller class size their match lists still look much better than even SGU and Ross with an astronomical class size. The IMG classification on your ERAS app is a HUGE hurdle and red flag when applying for residency and thats why any DO school is much much better, you aren't classified as an IMG.. eventhough you can make the argument that these brand new DO schools wont have adequate resources, faculty etc and wont have a good curriculum, I'd wager its still significantly better than going to the carib with a 600 person class size, and its still better than not getting into any US medical school either and not at least having a shot at becoming a doctor. TBH most ACGME PD's dont know much about how to stratify DO schools, its much more regional anyways. Someone from the south may have no idea what PCOM or ATSU are but will know LMU, ACOM, ARCOM, WCU etc... Always go to the best most established school you can but if the only US medical school you get into is a brand new DO school, well you run with that and do the best you can... This is just my two cents..
Honestly I would give the advice to beef your application up enough to have a shot at the top DO schools. I'm sure more PDs are going to look into DO schools reputations as time goes on and may have an impact on if/ where one matches.

Honestly I would give the advice to beef your application up enough to have a shot at the top DO schools. I'm sure more PDs are going to look into DO schools reputations as time goes on and may have an impact on if/ where one matches.
They won't... there's just too many things a PD has to do and there isn't enough time. it's very regional... no PD has the time to look up DO school rankings.. the newer schools will be unknowns so that would hurt but overall the DO school you go to has very little impact on how you match.. my overall point is still that any DO school is still vastly superior to the Caribbean....

Last edited: