Accept DO or reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Doc

Reaction score
Hello everyone. The title may be misleading and this is a long one so please stay with me. For clarification, this is not an MD vs DO discrepancy as I will be happy being a physician and do not carry any bias towards the letters that will follow my name whether that is MD or DO. At the same time, I also do not want to immediately shut future doors based on the school I attend.

I applied to 26 schools (21 MD, 5 DO programs). All R's except I had one interview and one acceptance from NSU-KPCOM (DO) which I was initially thrilled about; however, I have continuously read an alarming number of negative aspects about the administration of the school from a few current/past students accompanied by many other opinions to "avoid" this school if possible. On the other hand, I have also read "take a DO acceptance and run with it". I had memorably positive interactions with the NSU students and staff I have directly communicated with, but from what I have read, the administration is unreceptive to any negative feedback/critiques the students present, the COMLEX 1 and 2 first time pass rates are low for an established institution, and they also had a surprising number of transitional year residency placements. The school appointed a new dean a few years ago who I met and who seems to have a very clear vision for the program and its future in research.

Although the sources seem credible, could they be opinions from students who had a terrible experience? Yes. Could my search for unsettling information be confirmation bias? Absolutely. But I am still feeling uneasy about what I have read; things that I have not found from the other DO or MD programs I applied to. I am conflicted about my decision given that it is my only acceptance, but I do not want ignore major red flags because it is my only acceptance. Of course, it would be easy to say I should have done more research on any negatives about the school; however, I didn't see any reason to purposely look for information that would steer me away from attending.

Main concern: How would attending NSU hinder my medical career? I have read many negatives and maybe I am too dense to understand, but what specifically about this program would affect my route/passions individually?

Thinking long term, I am 99% sure I want to pursue surgery and believe I would be best suited for ortho as does every premed-my interests could also very well change over time. I am well aware ortho is amongst the most competitive specialties, but I fail to believe I would fail to match based on simply being a DO (not trying to sound cocky by any means). I understand the DO route to ortho will be more challenging than that of an MD, but any medical student (DO or MD) still needs to ace COMLEX/Step 2, excel in their didactic years, rotate well, and have substantial research in that field-I am not looking to match at some prestigious program like Stanford or Harvard.

If I had to reapply, I am confident I would produce a substantially improved application with what I have done during my gap year specifically in the timing, writing quality, and added experiences. I am tempted to apply again but would be losing an acceptance. Obviously I could take the MCAT again to possibly get a better score to possibly get into a better program. I am willing to wait another cycle even though that would blacklist me from this school and possibly flag me at other DO programs given I would be rejecting an acceptance. I completely understand that the decision to apply again does not guarantee an acceptance at another program, MD or DO. I apologize for the lengthy message, but I just want to ensure I am making an educated decision. Am I dumb for even having these thoughts that are maybe even influenced by the privilege of having an acceptance or would these be areas of concern for any of you if you were in my shoes? I would be extremely grateful to hear any feedback you may have about this situation.

After review from this cycle, I believe I was rejected due to three reasons
1) time of submission of my full application (Primaries completed end of July 2021, first secondaries completed middle of August 2021, finished second week of October 2021)
2) poor quality and persuasiveness of writing not necessarily the actual quality of the activities/experiences
3) strength of GPA and MCAT score

Stats:
3.67 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA
MCAT 507 (128, 124, 128, 127)
4th (top) quartile CASPer test

ECs (GY=Gap year activities)
-division 1 athlete (not a club athlete lol, full-scholarship athlete on national championship team and two-year team captain)
-student athlete volunteer (10 hours)
-hospital volunteer (150 hours) GY
-high school student mentor (15 hours)
-high school tutor (100 hours) GY
-full time urgent care scribe (1500 hours) GY
-part time COVID clinic medical assistant (400 hours)
-co-chair of diversity committee at former university (20 hours)
-youth soccer coach (250 hours)
-MD shadowing (60 hours, 8 specialties)
-research at T-20 medical school (150 hours)

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residence? Where did you apply before? Are the activities marked GY ones you did this year and thus they weren't on your applications? If so, you dramatically improved your clinical experience. I would recommend some non-clinical volunteering to those less fortunate (soup kitchen, homeless shelter etc) and reapply. I do not want you to regret going to Nova and you may have a good chance at a better school.

If you decide to reapply, keep your DO list limited to strong, non-problematic DO schools (NYIT, Campbell, PCOM, ATSU, MSU, Midwestern, Western, etc)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The Touros are good and people say Marian is pretty solid too. In case OP doesn't get a school list, we just came up with 11+ right there.

Reactions: 1 user
The Touros are good and people say Marian is pretty solid too. In case OP doesn't get a school list, we just came up with 11+ right there.

Eh.... Touro has some issues. But only the CA location is worth applying to IMO.

What is your state of residence? Where did you apply before? Are the activities marked GY ones you did this year and thus they weren't on your applications? If so, you dramatically improved your clinical experience. I would recommend some non-clinical volunteering to those less fortunate (soup kitchen, homeless shelter etc) and reapply. I do not want you to regret going to Nova and you may have a good chance at a better school.
The volunteering and scribing were included on my AMCAS and AACOMAS application, the tutoring was not (started much later ). A bulk of my hours have been since submitting both apps and the experiences were mentioned in letters of interest and updates I sent to all of the schools.

State of Residence: Missouri
Currently live in Chicago, IL

MD List
Rush University
Rosalind Franklin University
UIC-Chicago
Loyola SSOM
University of Missouri-Columbia
St. Louis University
Creighton University
Western Michigan University
Central Michigan
Wayne State University
Oakland University
Kansas University
University of Nebraska
FIU
FAU
Albany Medical College
University of Arkansas
University of Louisville
University of South Alabama
Medical College of Wisconsin
George Washington University

DO List
MWU-CCOM
MWU-AZCOM
NSU-KPCOM
UIW-COM
KCU
ATSU-SOMA

The volunteering and scribing were included on my AMCAS and AACOMAS application, the tutoring was not (started much later ). A bulk of my hours have been since submitting both apps and the experiences were mentioned in letters of interest and updates I sent to all of the schools.

MD List
Rush University
UIC-Chicago
Loyola SSOM
St. Louis University
Creighton University
Central Michigan
Wayne State University
Oakland University
Kansas University
University of Nebraska
FIU
FAU
Albany Medical College
University of Arkansas
University of Louisville

DO List
MWU-CCOM
MWU-AZCOM
NSU-KPCOM
UIW-COM
KCU
ATSU-SOMA
Rush, Loyola, St Louis, Creighton and Oakland value volunteering and service higher than most schools. So you would need several hundred hours for them.

Kansas, Nebraska, FIU, FAU, Arkansas, Louisville, Central Michigan and South Alabama take very few out-of-state students or students without significant ties. Western Michigan looks for much higher MCATs than you have.

Apply to Missouri again, St Louis is worth it even if its private, Albany, NYMC, Rosalind, Nova MD. Others may have suggestions, but chances best at Missouri.

For DO, do not apply to NSU again. You can do the ones we have suggested:
PCOM (all campuses)
LECOM (all campuses)
Western
KCU
KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
Marian
Touro (all campuses)
DMU
Campbell
NYIT (both campuses)

Reactions: 1 users
Rush, Loyola, St Louis, Creighton and Oakland value volunteering and service higher than most schools. So you would need several hundred hours for them.

Kansas, Nebraska, FIU, FAU, Arkansas, Louisville, Central Michigan and South Alabama take very few out-of-state students or students without significant ties. Western Michigan looks for much higher MCATs than you have.

Apply to Missouri again, St Louis is worth it even if its private, Albany, NYMC, Rosalind, Nova MD. Others may have suggestions, but chances best at Missouri.

For DO, do not apply to NSU again. You can do the ones we have suggested:
PCOM (all campuses)
LECOM (all campuses)
Western
KCU
KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
Marian
Touro (all campuses)
DMU
Campbell
NYIT (both campuses)

Not LECOM-bradenton or elmira

I'm not a fan of LECOM's Florida campus based on the stories, but it gets results. Elmira is new, but that's nothing new for LECOM to be doing. If OP ends up without another acceptance besides them, I don't think that's the worst situation.

GPA isn't the best and neither is MCAT for MD. I think things will go much better for DO this time around, but best not to have a 3rd application cycle.

If you’re 99% sure you want to pursue surgery, then you shouldn’t have applied to DO schools in the first place. You’d benefit from re-taking the MCAT and getting a 510+. Otherwise, all you can really do is apply as broadly to MD programs as you can. Unless you’re comfortable with eventually settling for something non-surgical, DO schools should not be on the table. Best of luck.

I agree that surgery is easier to match as an MD. However, it isn't impossible to match surgery as a DO. It's also much more about timing. OP is likely going to have to spend several years before they can get into an MD program, considering the fact that they are a re-applicant and have a weak sGPA as well. OP could very well go to a strong DO school, work hard at said DO school, and match into surgery. In other words, I don't think that matching surgery as a DO is so difficult as to justify having to spend several years trying to get into an MD program. All of that hard work spent trying to get into a MD school is better spent working their tail off at a strong DO school to match surgery, since the end result either way would be the same without having to spend a much longer time getting there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are going to make it difficult to get into any MD.
But at the same time NSU wants to make primary care docs.
........so this is a tough thing

If you decide to reapply, keep your DO list limited to strong, non-problematic DO schools (NYIT, Campbell, PCOM, ATSU, MSU, Midwestern, Western, etc)
@chilly_md, @PastaFairy

Would you mind expanding on the major problems with Nova and why it is not recommended to attend? I have read quite a few experiences regarding student's problems with the administration as well as the lower first time pass rates from an established institution. While this is definitely not great to hear, I am still struggling to see how this would personally affect my path if I would attend NSU (I'm dense sorry)

NSU's match in the last two years since the residency merger in 2020 has been pretty impressive for a DO program with 11 in ortho (8 in 2020), 5 in derm, many in GenSurg/preliminary surgery, and other mildly competitive specialties like anesthesia. I understand NSU does not match nearly as many competitive residents as its surrounding Florida MD programs even with its class of 250, but I believe that stems from the school's mission to serve underserved communities and the type of students that choose to attend there (DO schools tend to have less competitive students by nature). I am by no means saying I'm going to magically match anything competitive, but their lists show it is definitely possible which is why I am conflicted.

I also do not want to sound biased toward attending NSU, but would need pretty solid reasons to convince myself to give up an acceptance and look for something better when I have spent the latter half of my life working for this moment lol.

I do not think NSU as a whole is really meant to serve underserved communities but somebody with more familiarity about that can correct me. If the school has declining pass rates and lengthened time to graduate, that reflects poorly on a school that has been around for a long time. It is believed the faculty hinder the education of the students and at times, provide wrong information. Administration will not correct these issues and has been reported to provide bad dean letters to students who are not fully in line. You may be one of the students who is especially hampered by one or more of the things I listed, so it is up to you if you would like to take the risk and see if you can do well in spite of the environment.

Your chances are best at Missouri, which would help greatly with your desire to pursue ortho or some other surgical specialty. I do not know the median MCAT and GPA for their school, but they heavily take in-state and I believe you are just slightly below average. If you think you can do significantly better on the MCAT, that might be worth retaking.

For DO, the programs we listed do not have the issues associated with Nova. Oklahoma State may be worth an application too. They have an out-of-state tuition waiver for Missouri residents and may favor out of state applications who are close to Oklahoma. There are students who have matched ortho from there and shared their experience on this site.

MD List
Rush University
UIC-Chicago
Loyola SSOM
St. Louis University
Creighton University
Central Michigan
Wayne State University
Oakland University
Kansas University
University of Nebraska
FIU
FAU

Albany Medical College
University of Arkansas
University of Louisville

DO List
MWU-CCOM
MWU-AZCOM
NSU-KPCOM
UIW-COM
KCU
ATSU-SOMA
I see several donations on the list. OOS state schools favor the home team, and you applied to some schools that accept few OOSers. This is the risk I see SDNers take when they simply look at median MCAT scores without the benefit of the MSAR.

Honestly, I can't recommend Nova, ad=nd a reapplying won't hurt you as long as you tell the truth if anyone asks why you turned down an acceptance.

Your stats are weak for MD especially with a 124 CARS score.

A wider DO list will be very helpful. As mentioned, include:
both Westerns
OK-COM
KCOM
KCU
DMU
CCOM
MUCOM
both NYITCOMs
ACOM
VCOM
KYCOM
all Touros
WCU
CUSOM
WVSOM

I see several donations on the list. OOS state schools favor the home team, and you applied to some schools that accept few OOSers. This is the risk I see SDNers take when they simply look at median MCAT scores without the benefit of the MSAR.

Honestly, I can't recommend Nova, ad=nd a reapplying won't hurt you as long as you tell the truth if anyone asks why you turned down an acceptance.

both Westerns
OK-COM
KCOM
KCU
DMU
CCOM
MUCOM
both NYITCOMs
ACOM
VCOM
KYCOM
all Touros
WCU
CUSOM
WVSOM

WCU?????? I thought you hated that place….

I don't know with such stats, i would run with NOVA and not look back if I were you...(low science gpa, relatively lowish mcat for most MD places unless your from like AR or ND etc or URM)
Surgery, if meaning General Surgery isn't nearly as daunting for DO.. has like a 70% match rate(while MD match rate is 80%) and if you can pass USMLE and do well on USMLE step 2(>240), do some research, case reports etc and get involved in surgery clubs and get mentorship, it wont be impossible. I mean you wont be matching surgery as a USMD either if don't do well in school and the above mentioned things it's just that your ceiling prestige wise will be higher, but you mention you don't care about prestige.
For ortho, ortho is actually more doable for DO than other surgical subs because of the large number of former AOA spots that mostly still fill by DO's... some DO's also break into traditionally MD places in ortho ever year and it seems like more are doing it each year.. you will have to be exceptional to do that so don't bank on that. But former AOA is wide open for DO's who have well rounded apps and audition at 5-6 programs. You need scores(step 2) and research, get involved in anything you can and find mentors. Its hard but not impossible by any stretch.
Nova actually has quite a decent amount of people going into general surgery and ortho. Take a peak at their match list. Since your coming into med school knowing you want ortho/surgery you hit the ground running earlier on stuff like research to help you get their. Of course if you decide in 3rd year you want to do fam med or any non surgical specialty, your research and extracirriculars wont hurt you. Just my 2 cents.

Im

both Westerns
OK-COM
KCOM
KCU
DMU
CCOM
MUCOM
both NYITCOMs
ACOM
VCOM
KYCOM
all Touros
WCU
CUSOM
WVSOM
I would also add LECOM(main campus) to the list

I think that retaking the MCAT to get a higher score could improve your chances. Even if that doesn't guarantee MD acceptances, it's definitely worth a shot imo.
Also, just to make you feel a bit better about the whole thing... there's plenty of DOs out there in competitive specialties. Don't stress out too much. Good luck!

If you’re 99% sure you want to pursue surgery, then you shouldn’t have applied to DO schools in the first place. You’d benefit from re-taking the MCAT and getting a 510+. Otherwise, all you can really do is apply as broadly to MD programs as you can. Unless you’re comfortable with eventually settling for something non-surgical, DO schools should not be on the table. Best of luck.

I have seen many DO surgeon's and don't think this has been in an issue for over 10+ years. Many of the residents whom I have had surgery consults are DOs, at least at the 5 programs I am familiar.

Thanks.

Wook

Reactions: 6 users
I have seen many DO surgeon's and don't think this has been in an issue for over 10+ years. Many of the residents whom I have had surgery consults are DOs, at least at the 5 programs I am familiar.

Thanks.

Wook
Lot of hyperbole on this thread... it's harder to match at top tier and upper mid tier academic surgery programs as a DO compared to MD. Since most of our training occurs at community sites. But if you put in the work you can get there. If you just want to be a bread and butter surgery or a do an easier fellowship like SCC I don't think being a DO is that much of a disadvantage. It's all about what your goals are. It's not worth it to waste 2-3+ years chasing MD tho...

Reactions: 2 users
You realize that by posting your stats NSU-KPCOM (DO) can now identify you.

I say take your acceptance and start your journey! Every school has issues of some sort. I am at ATSU-SOMA and even we have some admin issues. But if you got a good feeling and the Dean has a good vision, then do it! NSU is well established. Don’t waste your time and money reapplying again take your acceptance and run with it you will do great regardless of what school you attend!!!

Did you write about your D1 sport and going into ortho? I can tell you that surgeons are drooling over (D1) athletes

Thanks.

Wook

On the 2021 NRMP PD survey, 58% of general surgery PDs never or seldom considered DO applicants for interviews.

Step 1, which was the most important criterion for applicant selection according to the PD survey, is now P/F.

The DO match rate for categorical general surgery spots was 61.7% in 2021.

Going to a DO school when your heart is fully set on surgery is a mistake.

On the 2021 NRMP PD survey, 58% of general surgery PDs never or seldom considered DO applicants for interviews.

Step 1, which was the most important criterion for applicant selection according to the PD survey, is now P/F.

Just a few years ago, the number of Gen Surg PDs refusing to interview/rank DOs was 75%. So some progress has sure been made.

Gen surg is doable for DOs, but it's an uphill battle..It always has been.

And your salary as a surgeon will be the same as the MD surgeons.

General surgery is a reasonable goal for a motivated DO student who is ok going to a community program.

Ortho happens every year, but is a different story. If OP is ok taking on the even higher risk of not matching ortho by going to a DO school then they should go to NSU. If they truly are ortho or bust then they should reapply after an MCAT retake.

Last year was an anamoly due to Covid, prorgams adjusting to virtual IV's and students not being able to audition, not knowing how many programs to apply to etc.. it was around 70% in 2020 and has been historically ... but its also more nuanced than that... once you get above a 240 step 2 your chances increase significantly. That 62% or even 70% number includes low scoring DO's who are essentially hail marrying it for surgery. Not an accurate representation of that fact that surgery is doable for a good/decent DO student who applies broadly and it likely will be even after step 1 is p/f. Also for the PD survey, you can't combine the never interview and seldom together, the ones that never interview DO's is much lower than seldom.. seldom atleast means they consider DO's who meet a certain cutoff.. it is also flawed since it's only a small number of the total # of programs.

Breaking down that first statistic, 50% seldom interview and 8% never interview. That is an important distinction and points to the fact that they are willing to consider qualified students, MD or DO. Additionally, 42% of general surgery PDs will often consider DO seniors for interviews.

The MD match rate for categorical general surgery spots was 73.2%. That means 1 in 4 MDs failed to match into general surgery.

OP: Your concerns are definitely valid. General surgery is extremely doable as a DO. Ortho is more difficult, but it is also doable. You sound like you have an understanding of the inherent biases that exist against osteopathic medical students applying for competitive specialties. Nova is not the best school, and it will likely give you a few headaches. For me personally, if the choice is between attending a lower-ranked school and reapplying to medical school, I would go ahead and attend the lower-ranked school. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: 3 users
Breaking down that first statistic, 50% seldom interview and 8% never interview. That is an important distinction and points to the fact that they are willing to consider qualified students, MD or DO. Additionally, 42% of general surgery PDs will often consider DO seniors for interviews.

The MD match rate for categorical general surgery spots was 73.2%. That means 1 in 4 MDs failed to match into general surgery.

OP: Your concerns are definitely valid. General surgery is extremely doable as a DO. Ortho is more difficult, but it is also doable. You sound like you have an understanding of the inherent biases that exist against osteopathic medical students applying for competitive specialties. Nova is not the best school, and it will likely give you a few headaches. For me personally, if the choice is between attending a lower-ranked school and reapplying to medical school, I would go ahead and attend the lower-ranked school. Good luck with your decision.
Also another major thing about that 62% number is that we have no way of knowing which applicants were dual applying general surgery with another specialty and no way of knowing who was using general surgery as a back up specialty and matched their first choice specialty.. this is why 2020 charting outcomes are more accurate, it takes it into account all of that... it put the true DO surgery match rate at 70%...

Also another major thing about that 62% number is that we have no way of knowing which applicants were dual applying general surgery with another specialty and no way of knowing who was using general surgery as a back up specialty and matched their first choice specialty.. this is why 2020 charting outcomes are more accurate, it takes it into account all of that... it put the true DO surgery match rate at 70%...

What if the drop was simply because surgery became more competitive for DOs between 2020 and 2021?

OUHCOM favors in-state residents. OOS students have to practice in Ohio too I believe or else they pay a surcharge. Worth an app if you have higher stats.

I don’t recommend LMU.
Okay thanks, I am from the area (and interviewed at both schools) so want to hear some thoughts on their rank as a DO program.

They cleaned up their act, for starters.
That’s good to hear. Historically, we had a lot of auditioners that told us that it was their first time writing a note (beginning of 4th year). Seemed to have more struggles adapting than other medical students. This is also anecdotal and I’m not sure if it’s due to the school.

That’s good to hear. Historically, we had a lot of auditioners that told us that it was their first time writing a note (beginning of 4th year). Seemed to have more struggles adapting than other medical students. This is also anecdotal and I’m not sure if it’s due to the school.
I've written notes on multiple core rotations, I have had classmates write notes on all core rotations. It is very core site dependent...

It is not just LMU DCOM that has Heightened Monitoring Accreditation, there are 7 other institutions with that same accreditation.
Here is the link, check it out
I don’t recommend ARCOM or BCOM either. VCOM’s issue may be due to its new campus in Monroe, which affects the rest of the schools. WCU is improving their research facilities and likely will be off that list.

I don’t recommend ARCOM or BCOM either. VCOM’s issue may be due to its new campus in Monroe, which affects the rest of the schools. WCU is improving their research facilities and likely will be off that list.
I am skeptical that it's because of a new campus. That would make no sense. If it is, then maybe WCU is also on that due to class size increase.