Reapply or go DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinepassion1

Reaction score
3.78cgPA, 3.64sgpa, 520 MCAT

I got accepted into a DO school. But with the residency merger in 2020, I don't know if that's the right call. I applied to several special master's programs so far, should I reapply MD or take the DO? I want the best chance at matching in the future. Is reapplying worth the risk? This June would be the last time I could use my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on two things.

1)The school you were accepted to: Newer schools will feel more pain with the merger, but I don't think the more established schools are going to have any problems as they often times already have solid connections with area institutions that are willing to look past the letters after an applicant's name because they know what kind of docs the school is producing. Some DO schools even have residencies in competitive specialties that will not only be DO specific, but specific for only their students.

2)Why you didn't get into an MD program this year: With your stats there is either a red flag, your list was poorly constructed, or you're bad at interviews and/or essays. You are taking a major risk by not matriculating this year if the reason you didn't get in isn't rectifiable.

Members don't see this ad :)
My state of residence was CT. I didn't apply to many "reach" schools but applied to more 'mid-tier' schools. I can't think of any red flags unless graduating in three years counts as one. I had two interviews, which ended in one rejection one waitlist. I only had about thirty hours of research. If my problem was just the essays, I'll gladly rewrite them. The problem with the DO is that it's a fairly new school that isn't exactly stellar as some of the more established ones.

I had 32 shadowing hours when I first applied, since then I have gotten 28 more. When I first applied I had 180 hours of clinical volunteering, and since then I have gotten 60 more and 250 hours in paid clinical experience on a rehab floor.

If you are not accepted off the wait list by mid June I suggest applying to all these MD schools:
UConn
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Vermont
Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Albany
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Miami
Western Michigan
Cincinnati
Tulane
U South Florida
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Ohio State
Kaiser
California University
Washington University

Maybe there's something in your ECs? Or maybe the narrative in your PS just wasn't that convincing? Tough to tell from this.

From what I've heard/read, DO schools won't necessarily have a problem matching-- board scores are largely on the student (resources are all the same, so just need to get your butt in a chair) and spots are there. You just might end up in FM instead of surgery. Need to decide if that's worth the uncertainty of SMP and reapplication (as well as getting blacklisted at DOs? not sure on this one). I'd say no, but that's based on my personal value system.

I'd hate ending up in fam med. I'm not aiming for a really competitive specialty (would be nice though). Is something like psychiatry and hospital internal medicine within my reach? Will shoddy clinical rotation sites make a difference in terms of PDs reviewing my application or can I overcome this by doing some good away/audition rotations during the fourth year?

I'd hate ending up in fam med. I'm not aiming for a really competitive specialty (would be nice though). Is something like psychiatry and hospital internal medicine within my reach? Will shoddy clinical rotation sites make a difference in terms of PDs reviewing my application or can I overcome this by doing some good away/audition rotations during the fourth year?
With your ability to test well, you should be able to land a psychiatry or IM spot pretty easily if you do well on boards and kick arse while you're there. Look up previous match lists for the school (if available, I know you mentioned it's on the newer side). A ton of DO students go into internal med.

I got into a DO school last year, rejected it, and reapplied and got into MD this time around. Do what you want to do! With your stats, MD is definitely in your reach... as long as your ECs, writing, and interviewing are there. If you can't use your MCAT this cycle, of course, that complicates things.

Reactions: 6 users
If you are going to reapply, take your time and make a very strong application. Make sure that your MCAT is done early enough to assure you have time to complete your primary application early. Make sure that you have plenty of ECs, volunteer hours, shadowing, etc. to overcome the issues that you faced in this cycle. You didn't mention any nonclinical volunteering. You have time to accumulate several hundred. And of course, do a thorough job on your essays and secondary essays. You may need another application cycle to accumulate enough hours to ensure an impressive application. Your current MCAT score is certainly one impressive aspect of your application! Finish the job!! If you get interviews, prep for those as well.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I could use my MCAT one last time (this new cycle in June). I recently got a research internship and scribe job that took the majority of my time thus far. During my last cycle I had about 100 hours in non clinical volunteering as a tutor. I added about 40 as a volunteer for a local homeless shelter. Are these improvements enough to get in this cycle? If they aren't I think I'll just take the DO. Can a DO do gen sure post merger? Also should I apply to special "masters" programs that guarantee matriculation if I maintain a certain GPA?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anybody know my chances on average of being moved off a waitlist? Sorry for all the questions but don't have any family/mentors in the medical field, and my premed advisor was as helpful as the average google search.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I could use my MCAT one last time (this new cycle in June). I recently got a research internship and scribe job that took the majority of my time thus far. During my last cycle I had about 100 hours in non clinical volunteering as a tutor. I added about 40 as a volunteer for a local homeless shelter. Are these improvements enough to get in this cycle? If they aren't I think I'll just take the DO. Can a DO do gen sure post merger? Also should I apply to special "masters" programs that guarantee matriculation if I maintain a certain GPA?
I honestly think that your stats are more than fine, it must have been your ECs and/or interview that landed you on the WL. So, it sounds like you've tried to tackle that with extra clinical and non-clinical volunteering + research. Is it enough? I don't think anyone can accurately answer that, unfortunately. I think if you revamp your app next cycle...by having multiple people read your primary app (personal statement and W&A), slay your secondaries, and practice interviewing, then you're golden for MD with your stats.

DOs can do anything that MDs do, but it'll be more of an uphill battle for you imo. Especially at a newer school

Your chance at getting off the WL is school specific. You can look at MSAR for a very rough approximation of what the WL for your school looks like. Ask as many questions as you want. That's why this forum is here!

Reactions: 1 user
You still have 6 weeks! Get to that homeless shelter as often as you can and volunteer. There are many people that can benefit from your volunteering so put in as many hours as possible. Honestly, why can't you put in 10-16 hours in every weekend for a month? The more then better. That will really look nice on you application and you will be doing good for society.

I only got on the one WL but only had two interviews which is why I'm afraid of reapplying. If I reject the DO will that hurt my chances of applying to them in the future?

Fair point. I just know people that went abroad and got US residencies, granted it was before all the new schools in the US started accepting students.

And one of the schools I got accepted to is brand spanking new, but I truly see myself thriving there. However I don't want that to be a wasted effort just to end up without a residency match in the future.

Bro. Take the DO and move on. DOs will have a harder time with or without the merge but there are plenty of DOs who will match into gen surg. Most DOs wind up in primary care though because of the competitive nature of the MATCH and because of the fact that MDs will always be picked preferentially.

If I don’t get into a SMP with linkage that’s what I’ll do. Not that I have anything against DO or primary care, just didn’t envision myself in that scenario. I always saw it as a distant backup, Guess I’ll just fight the uphill battle when residency match time comes and hope for the best.

If you have those stats and didn't get love from MD schools this cycle, I would not bother with a crapshoot again next year.

Take the acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
After reading all of your responses, OP, I think you should take the DO acceptance and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you really want to miss out?

sorry I should have used this one.

You will be a hero in the world of osteopathy. Imagine yourself as the Buzz Lightyear among vended alien toys. Or you can go MD and be yet another reapp.

Reactions: 4 users
Obviously still a joke but sadly the buzz light year of vended alien toys will still carry less value that the reapp that get some into a MD school when it comes to residency

I got into a DO school last year, rejected it, and reapplied and got into MD this time around. Do what you want to do! With your stats, MD is definitely in your reach... as long as your ECs, writing, and interviewing are there. If you can't use your MCAT this cycle, of course, that complicates things.
Im curious what were your stats or what did you do do boost your CV?

Im curious what were your stats or what did you do do boost your CV?
First Cycle:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 507
Average ECs

This Cycle:
completed an SMP with a 4.0
retook MCAT for 515
continued my volunteering positions and added more clinical experience over that year.

With your stats, an SMP would be an unnecessary gamble. Doing well wouldn't change much (since you got three IIs without one), and doing poorly would demolish your application.

Anyway, in my opinion, the smartest move is to decline the DO acceptances. If you wouldn't be fully satisfied with primary care and want to be in the running for competitive specialties, then you'd probably end up hating yourself for going to DO school. With your track record (your test-taking ability in particular), the opportunities you'd lose by going to DO school would be more far costly than one lost year of attending salary.

Apply MD next cycle, but apply more broadly (include lots of low-tier programs), carefully revise your essays and have trusted mentors proofread them, and do some mock interviews. Also, do more clinical and non-clinical volunteering.

I will weep for you if you end up at a DO school with a near-3.8 and a 520 MCAT. Seriously. I'm at a DO school now and I regret every single day that I didn't put the effort in earlier to get into an MD school. You do not want to be saddled with OMM when you're trying to learn neuro.

You should post up an exhaustive list of your ECs, how you approached secondaries/your PS, etc. and find out where you went wrong. Fix as best you can and reapply. If you end up at a DO school, it certainly should not be a newer/unproven one.

My 2 cents.

I will weep for you if you end up at a DO school with a near-3.8 and a 520 MCAT. Seriously. I'm at a DO school now and I regret every single day that I didn't put the effort in earlier to get into an MD school. You do not want to be saddled with OMM when you're trying to learn neuro.

You should post up an exhaustive list of your ECs, how you approached secondaries/your PS, etc. and find out where you went wrong. Fix as best you can and reapply. If you end up at a DO school, it certainly should not be a newer/unproven one.

My 2 cents.

Besides the OMM what else? If you could do it again would you have waited and reapplied MD another cycle?

I applied to a SMP is it worth forgoing DO for ?
My GPA was lower than yours, I don't think you need an SMP. I think if you tidy up your ECs + essays + interviewing + school list, then you'll have a great shot at MD. No reason to waste $ on an SMP or go DO with your GPA and MCAT

This year is my last chance with my MCAT. I have a couple of new experiences but I don't know if it's enough. Granted, I could always add more with an update. A recent PI of mine said he knows a couple of people for an MD-PhD route, granted much longer but I ended up enjoying my research experience. Is it worth the risk? By SMP I meant a linkage program.

The Schools I picked were
- UCONN
-Quinnipiac
Rochester
Columbia
Yale
Miami
Vermont
Darmouth
Rush
NYMC
Georgetown
George washington
tulane
temple
kimmel
Albert Einstein
Wake Forest

I approached the secondaries by getting them done as soon as possible. however, I made sure to proofread them and get a second opinion. My PS had a personal story, what motivated me, and my physician role models.

Any advice?
My personal "advice":
1) You need more schools on your list. it seems like a lot of the schools on your list receive a largeeeee # of applicants so your app may be lost in the pile. Get MSAR, click "private" filter, and look for schools that interview and accept many OOS applicants.
2) I, personally, think an SMP is a waste of time and $ for you, but if you want to go for it, do it.
3) You received interviews so your app isn't an issue. Work on improving your interviewing skills, get a clinical job for updates (and this gives you things to talk about in interviews!), and volunteer at a place you enjoy during the application year.

You don’t have the best school list, in my opinion. Given your lack of research, Columbia and Yale were poor choices. You don’t have the ~1000 hours of volunteering Rush likes. Jeff, Temple, NYMC, GT, GW are low yield. You probably got yield-protected from some schools. I think you played it almost too safe.

With your stats, you don’t need an SMP. Don’t burden yourself with more debt.

Did you have nonclinical volunteering?

You got a post-II rejection and WL, so I imagine you have weaker interview skills.

If you reapply, there were some deficits I hope you fixed.

Besides the OMM what else? If you could do it again would you have waited and reapplied MD another cycle?

It's the entire stigma of DO school. I work extremely hard, every day, just like every other medical student does. But in the end, I will still be labeled as less capable than the vast majority of MD students, for no reason other than I didn't get into an MD school and instead got into a DO school. It's an unnecessary position to put yourself in if you can avoid it, which you definitely can. I do regret not doing an SMP or something to bump up my low undergrad GPA, which is 99% the reason I didn't get into an MD school.

DOs unfortunately will continued to be looked at less than MDs as well for the more competitive residencies (please don’t respond with an anecdote of a Do becoming a neurosurgeon. I am aware it is possible). Anyways, if you want to be a doctor you should not care what two letters come free your name. With that being said, radiology, derm, etc will be more of an uphill battle.

I get I shouldn’t get bogged down in the stigma, I just don’t see myself going into primary care. Will I get blackballed my all DO schools if I reject an acceptance? Also i worked a rehab floor as a tech for half the year and now as a scribe, is that enough clinical experience? I still do hospital volunteering and got a research internship which I’m doing.

I get I shouldn’t get bogged down in the stigma, I just don’t see myself going into primary care. Will I get blackballed my all DO schools if I reject an acceptance? Also i worked a rehab floor as a tech for half the year and now as a scribe, is that enough clinical experience? I still do hospital volunteering and got a research internship which I’m doing.

Echoing what others said, it sounds like you had a poor school list, mediocre EC’s, and possibly struggled with interviewing. Fortunately, all of those can be fixed. If I had your stats I wouldn’t have even applied to DO schools. How old are you? If you are between 21 and 23 I’d consider reapplying since you are still young and have many years to be a physician.

I don’t believe other DO schools can see that you were accepted at one and rejected it, but don’t quote me on that. You will, however, be black listed at that DO school that you rejected. I would reapply with a better school list, make sure your essays are on point, practice interview skills, and if you’re concerned about being empty handed (but still want a solid education), apply to a few of the original 5 DO schools like KCU, DMU, and PCOM.

FYI, when they say 50% go primary care, that includes internal medicine and usually OB/GYN in addition to family med and pediatrics. My school only matched 17% of their class into a family medicine residency last year.

At the end of the day your step scores, clinical grades, LOR’s, and Auditions, among other things, are going to determine your residency placement. Considering your previous academic performance I think you will do very well in school and on the step exam. If you want to do general surgery, you can do general surgery. It is obviously not guaranteed, but it’s also not guaranteed at an MD school either.

At the end of the day, you have to do what you feel is best for you and your future. Best of luck in your decision.

So if I’m about to turn 22 you would recommend to reapply? I want to specialize in something like cardiology or derm and don’t want to take myself out of running before I even begin my long journey.

So if I’m about to turn 22 you would recommend to reapply? I want to specialize in something like cardiology or derm and don’t want to take myself out of running before I even begin my long journey.
Yes, reapply. A year trying to get MD will save you years down the road (uphill battle) for competitive specialties.

You should 100% reapply as long as you have notable improvements on your application. Without seeing your actual AMCAS it is hard to advise. Based off of what I’ve read, it sounds like some volunteer positions were sporadic, not long term, and just kind of scraped the minimum “requirement”. I’m not saying that’s what you did, but that’s how it came off in your post. Adcoms like to see commitment. The research internship should help and gaining some work experience in healthcare should also help. I think if you frame your application the right way, and apply to the right schools, you’ll have a lot of success this cycle. Your numbers are there, you just have to show them that you improved this past year and learned from your failures. It also wouldn’t hurt to do some mock interviews if you have anyone who can help you out with that. The more you practice, the more confidence you’ll have. I went on 5 interviews and my first one was rough. I struggled to find words, my voice was shaky, and had to ask if we could come back to a question. By my 5th one my interviewer told me I was one of their best interviews and noted how well prepared I was. I can’t emphasize how important practicing is!

Also, the average matriculant is around 24 now. This is not a race. Your goal is to get from point A to point B, regardless of what that path looks like or how long it takes.

Good luck! You have what it takes, now go out and make it happen!