Reapply this next cycle or wait a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouthernGent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the current predicament of determining whether to wait a year or reapply this next cycle. Only got 1 II out of 12 MD schools and was waitlisted at the institution which granted me an interview. I feel my GPA, which was on a mediocre downward trend at the time of applying, my minimal clinical experience had a negative impact on my application, but not as much as my relatively late application (Verified Late August). I have since put my GPA on an upward trajectory (3.98 semester in the fall, and on track for a similar GPA this semester) and have been working as a volunteer at a local clinic (125+ hours so far) in addition to all my other regular activities. Do you all believe this would be sufficient to legitimize reapplying this upcoming cycle, or should I wait a full year? I also plan on retooling my PS since it probably played a role too.

Stats on App:

3.71/3.61 cGPA/sGPA

509 MCAT (Retake, 1st attempt was a 503)

64hrs as ER volunteer (1 Summer)

300+ hours research in genetics lab

250+ hours as worker in genetics bank

2000+ hours in University Band

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What state?
What was your previous MCAT score?
Previous MCAT of 503, retook it two months after original attempt.
Resident of Va, at school in La. Interview was in Va.
Forgot to mention that I wasn't verified until late August as a result of my retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like you are missing ECs. Where is your shadowing? Is that really your only volunteer? I think even with an early app your package needs more work before you will be ready. Take a year and beef up your app. Add breadth and depth to your experiences and show that you know about medicine from the doctor's perspective (seriously shadow already!) if you can take a few more science classes and encourage your sGPA up a little it can't hurt, as you don't look stellar (but not too bad). Did you only apply MD? Are you considering DO, it could be a good match for you. Do some research and make some careful decisions about what you want. DO is fairly equivalent to MD from what I hear, and they take grade forgiveness if you have any Cs or lower to fix. A rushed app will tank you if you are not careful, so take your time and make sure your next app cycle is your last app cycle.