Reapply to FM- completed two years already...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctsingh9985

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have completed two years of FM in a ACGME approved program and my contract was not renewed for the 3rd year because I did not take and pass the USMLE by the start of the 3rd year. I have successfully passed USMLE Step 3 and are even licensed in FL, New Mexico and working on California and New York. I have not had any luck securing a PGY-2 for FM, should I just apply as PGY1 to FM programs again? What are the pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

You will likely need to apply again as a PGY 1, depending on how long you've been out. Some programs may give you credit for intern year.

Why are you licensed in states that are so geographically separated? Are you actually practicing in all of those states?

Hello all,

I have completed two years of FM in a ACGME approved program and my contract was not renewed for the 3rd year because I did not take and pass the USMLE by the start of the 3rd year. I have successfully passed USMLE Step 3 and are even licensed in FL, New Mexico and working on California and New York. I have not had any luck securing a PGY-2 for FM, should I just apply as PGY1 to FM programs again? What are the pros and cons?

Is there a reason you didn't take Step 3 on time?

It seems unlikely that you would manage to apply in a timely fashion this year... if you can't submit ERAS by the first week in October, I probably wouldn't bother.

If miraculously you COULD do that, then the pros (additional opportunity available only through ERAS) vs cons (cost of applying to ERAS, possible funding issues if you start from PGY-1) are fairly obvious I think.