reapply with these stats? need some advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cosmopolitan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some advice about reapplying. I applied to 13 schools last year with these stats:

GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 22 (x2) - PS-9, VR-5, BS-8, WS-Q
lots of volunteer work, tons of research experience, lots of clinical and shadowing experience and great recommendations.
I applied last year and got zero acceptances.

I re-took the MCAT this past April and here were my scores:
MCAT: 25Q - PS-9, VR-7, BS-9, WS-Q
GPA: the same - 3.4
I've been working in a lab for a year and I've done some volunteer work for the past 6 months. I am thinking of reapplying to some schools again, but I'm not sure if these scores will get me in as a re-applicant. What do you all think? Do you think it's worth applying again with these new scores and work experience and volunteer experience? Have any of you gotten in with these kind of stats?

Also, if I do re-apply, I have already written a totally new personal statement and my amcas application is all set to go. Just another question - Could I re-use my LOR's from last year? Since I've been out of school for a year, the LOR's will be the same this year from my profs. So, I'm wondering if it's ok to just use the same LOR's from last year. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I have spoken/emailed many med schools (in fact I applied to 21 last year) and most of them won't give people at a chance at an interview unless you have at least a 30 (and it really ought to be 10's across the board) on your MCAT's. If you don't have a 30, you really need to have a high GPA to offset your MCAT score.

Goodluck if you decide to reapply.

Thanks for the response. If you don't mind my asking, but are you starting medical school this fall? I have been accepted to a great offshore medical school, so I'm wondering if it's worth my time and money to reapply. Thanks.

nishakg said:
Hi,
I have spoken/emailed many med schools (in fact I applied to 21 last year) and most of them won't give people at a chance at an interview unless you have at least a 30 (and it really ought to be 10's across the board) on your MCAT's. If you don't have a 30, you really need to have a high GPA to offset your MCAT score.

Goodluck if you decide to reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you dead set on MD? Try applying to DO schools... you may be surprised. And nishakg, lots of folks get interviews with less than a 30. I mean, seriously -- if the MEAN accepted MCAT is a 30, then folks have to get in with less than a 30 (and that means interviews with less than a 30).

nishakg, if you don't apply then YOU are the one saying no. I agree, allopathic schools might be a reach, but DO may be quite reasonable. And as I said before, folks MUST get in with a 25/3.4 to make the mean a 30/3.5. Choose your schools carefully and good luck.

ShyRem said:
Are you dead set on MD? Try applying to DO schools... you may be surprised. And nishakg, lots of folks get interviews with less than a 30. I mean, seriously -- if the MEAN accepted MCAT is a 30, then folks have to get in with less than a 30 (and that means interviews with less than a 30).

nishakg, if you don't apply then YOU are the one saying no. I agree, allopathic schools might be a reach, but DO may be quite reasonable. And as I said before, folks MUST get in with a 25/3.4 to make the mean a 30/3.5. Choose your schools carefully and good luck.

Sure, but this applicant doesn't have above average grades, either. I think you need to be about average to have a good chance. If one stat is below, the other should be above. Both above is really good to go, both below is trouble.

How about a 26R, 3.7 science and a lot of volunteer and leadership experience. Also, Does anyone know if med schools care if you speak more than one language?

goinverted said:
How about a 26R, 3.7 science and a lot of volunteer and leadership experience. Also, Does anyone know if med schools care if you speak more than one language?

I'll be totally honest, I think most people do what I do and compare your numbers to the averages and then make adjustments based on ECs. So I'd say good GPA, poor MCAT, good ECs, you might have a shot at the lower number allo schools or a much better shot at DO schools.

Invest in an MSAR. Worth the money! :thumbup:

Cosmo...if you feel your LoRs are strong, it's okay to reuse them. I changed everything in my app, but others here have been successful using the same letters. It's not a big deal.

These are always difficult to answer. If your stats are below mean...particularly your MCAT - which matters most in most circumstances...should you apply and after you resolve that...where to apply.

Obviously, there are people who have gained admissions with similar stats. Doing your homework is important. No matter what your stats are...your state school(s) is always your best bet. Of course, there are obvious exceptions. Next, you want to look at schools with stats similar to yours...whether they are MD or DO programs. If your stats are low it's also important that you apply early. There are a lesser amount of applications earlier in an application cycle. Less "competition" translates to a greater chance at an interview.

Can you improve your score? How much can you improve your score? Some people do not perform well on standardized tests. A friend of mine has test anxiety. While I may feel it's no problem to raise my score a few points, others feel hell would sooner freeze over.

If you don't feel you can raise your MCAT, there are post-bacc programs that feed directly into medical programs or greatly enhance your chances.

Cosmo and goinvert...I don't think anyone here is qualified to tell you that you have a chance or that you have no chance. I don't think your premed advisor or 13 admissions committees are necessarily qualified. It's really a decision you have to make on your own.

There's another point I wanted to make, but it just slipped my mind.

Keep The Faith.

I had a 26MCAT, 3.5 GPA,3.15science...no interviews
28MCAT, fellowshipNIH, masters3.8GPA 3 interviews, 2 waitlists
My numbers were on the line before. You're numbers are very low unless yohave something that stands out like you were training for the Olympics or your parents were vietnamese refugees in a refugee camp before you came to the states(one of my best friends). Otherwise, they won't read your application. Consider a postbac, a masters and retaking your MCAT and apply to 40 schools, one of my best friends has a friend who had not-so-good scores and only got into one school, but she applied to 40 and got like 2 interviews..she's a 4thyr at UofI. The DO schools are one direction but if I were you I would consider all of the above and do a few, get a masters, take and MCAT prep course, retest and apply to 40MD schools and 10 DO schools next year or the year after.

I'm a bit older, I applied 2 complete times (above) an initial time and got everything in late...total 3 times before I decided to take a break and go to grad school, reconsider the MD, until now. The biggest mistake I made was retaking the MCAT too quickly, not admitting officially to my learning disability, and reapplying back-to-back without stepping back for a minute to think hard about what I was doing and how I could get where I wanted to go.

Follow your heart, but think long and hard first. If I had had it to do all over again, (and I'm totally great with where I am I just spent a few wasted years in misery early in grad school) I would have just applied to foreign schools and DOs...I would have gone to an DO and be a doctor now. I have no regrets NOW, but I could have saved myself a lot of grief and dept if I had applied to foreign schools and DOs.

Also, one of my boyfriends friends transferred from a carribean school to tulane after his 1st or 2nd year...just started his residency.

Just my opinion.

-s

You can always reuse recs...just have at least one that is very recent. I am totall sure on this one. They want to see you all through academic/school/work, past and present.

2tall said:
Cosmo...if you feel your LoRs are strong, it's okay to reuse them. I changed everything in my app, but others here have been successful using the same letters. It's not a big deal.

These are always difficult to answer. If your stats are below mean...particularly your MCAT - which matters most in most circumstances...should you apply and after you resolve that...where to apply.

Obviously, there are people who have gained admissions with similar stats. Doing your homework is important. No matter what your stats are...your state school(s) is always your best bet. Of course, there are obvious exceptions. Next, you want to look at schools with stats similar to yours...whether they are MD or DO programs. If your stats are low it's also important that you apply early. There are a lesser amount of applications earlier in an application cycle. Less "competition" translates to a greater chance at an interview.

Can you improve your score? How much can you improve your score? Some people do not perform well on standardized tests. A friend of mine has test anxiety. While I may feel it's no problem to raise my score a few points, others feel hell would sooner freeze over.

If you don't feel you can raise your MCAT, there are post-bacc programs that feed directly into medical programs or greatly enhance your chances.

Cosmo and goinvert...I don't think anyone here is qualified to tell you that you have a chance or that you have no chance. I don't think your premed advisor or 13 admissions committees are necessarily qualified. It's really a decision you have to make on your own.

There's another point I wanted to make, but it just slipped my mind.

Keep The Faith.