Reapplying -- a few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoxonDocs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's my low down from last year's application cycle. (Last year was my first year applying, 20 schools, 15 secondaries, no interviews.) In italics/bold are things that I am currently planning to change, or have improved upon, or so forth. And for the record, I submitted AMCAS on June 8, and returned secondaries within a week of receiving them.

MCAT: 32 (10:12:10)
Undergrad:
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.7
Grad (Master's in Dev. Neuro):
cGPA (and sGPA, since it was all science): 3.95

EC: 250+ (1000+) volunteer hours as a patient representative in the ER and OR.
25 hours with a well-known Neurosurgeon.
3000+ hours of graduate research work on developmental neurobiology (the papers are pending and may be for a while.)
1000+ hours of undergraduate research on Lyme Disease (no papers, but acknowledged for what its worth!).
Completed a senior research capstone at my college on top of my other research.
Finally, I added in my 150 hours of shadowing as a senior in high school, as those were integral in helping me choose my path in life. I shadowed a pediatrician, OBGYN (got to help deliver!), and an ER physician. (Will be removing from EC and adding to personal statement).

I will also be adding my 16 years of piano, the half marathon and marathon I have completed since last year and my work (see below) to my EC's this year.

Leadership: TA'd a variety of classes (including a few I didn't do so well on in college, as well as A&P).
Acted as a Graduate Mentor to undergraduates who I trained and worked extensively with in the laboratory. I ended up with six very successful undergrads.
I was a member of the Graduate Association for Biology and sat on the Graduate Panel for new faculty hires.
In my secondaries, I have added that I currently teach and help develop science classes for a homeschool group in my area. I have my own little company that works with them. (I now run a full fledged business providing tutoring services to students across the state and online. It provides my income and pays my bills. I teach 5 classes at the community center and currently have 15 individual students that I see on a weekly basis on topics ranging from basic math, H.S. Math, college biology courses, biochemistry, college prep, piano and so forth.)

I am in Maryland, but applied broadly and to most schools at a mid to "low" tier level. I also applied to my undergrad alum college, which is in the midwest and is mid tier.

I realize my undergrad GPA sucks. I was diagnosed with cancer my freshman year--I ended up depressed and let everything go for a while. It is no excuse, and I own up to it and use that failure as fuel to my fire. I discuss it in my PS. However, there is a marked upward trend in my grades from a 2.5 to a 3.95 my final semester and I graduated in 3 years. For what its worth. Heh. (I placed all of this into my personal statement. I realize that using the "cancer card" may not have been the greatest idea. I will only touch on my personal experiences and how they affected my undergraduate career this year.)

Other things I am looking to change:
  1. The only two science classes that I graduated my undergrad with a C were biochemistry and cell biology. I have since taught cell biology and taken several cell bio related courses at the graduate level. Would it be worthwhile to re-take one of these (or both) online?
  2. My husband lost his job last year in the middle of June. I wasn't able to find work in my field, and things were getting dire. I started my own business and have been very successful at it. But, I had to step down from volunteering to make ends meet. We are finally getting back on our feet, but I won't be able to return to volunteer for at least a few more months. It was a sacrifice that I had to make. However, before I had to quit volunteering completely, I racked up over 1k hours at the hospital. It kept me busy while my work got started and they needed the volunteers. I intend to write about this in my personal statement. How badly does this hurt me, though?
  3. Financially, we didn't plan to have me take the MCAT again. At least not this year. With the changes to the MCAT, should I maybe consider it in the fall?
  4. I am updating who is writing my letters. I, unfortunately, do not have a doctor who can feasibly write me one. I do have a professor I taught for and a member of my former committee writing for me this year. The heads of the community center that I teach for is also writing me a joint letter. (I'm replacing my former grad PI, who's letter was awful, now that I've read it. Stupidly generic, but she refused to let me edit/help in anyway.)
First of all, thank you for reading this far. I know it is a wall of text, but I don't have a lot of help, being a 24 yo not-straight-out-of-college student. I am looking to go to reapplicant workshops, at least here in Maryland and at my alma mater, University of Oklahoma. Am I making the right changes? Are there other things I can potentially do? Should I attempt to take an online class?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a solid application other than your GPA. You have a good reason and explanation for your GPA. You have shown you are a hard worker in many other ways. The MCAT is OK, near the median.

1) No, for the reasons you say.
2) Eh, you can't do something you can't do
3) Maybe, but try reapplying as is. You would compensate more for your GPA if it was higher.
4) Yeah, what was up with your letters?

What is a patient representative ?

I would most carefully examine your personal statement and your letters. I would make sure you have recent shadowing experience (within the last year). Any red flags on your application? Good job getting the apps in early.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I can see, you have a great application. I think rewriting your personal statement with those changes will help a lot. The personal statement is the first thing they read to learn about you and you have to leave them wanting more. As for your questions:

1) I don't think retaking this classes would be worth your while. Most schools will consider your grad GPA over undergrad and though your undergrad GPA is a little low, it's not the worst.

2) this is circumstantial and it sounds like you already have a decent amount of volunteering so I don't think this would be the cause of not getting in.

3) I really don't see why you would need to retake the MCAT with a 32. You risk dropping in score and that would be more detrimental to your application.

4) Letters are for sure important so make sure you can get at least a few solid ones. You shadowed a neurosurgeon, would they be able to write one? Having a doctor letter is important, so if that person doesn't work out, I would try to shadow a doctor now and get a letter by summer.

And lastly, I would try contacting the schools you applied to and figure out what they may have seen as a red flag. And like gyngyn said, applying to DO schools would absolutely increase your chances! Good luck!

1) I don't think retaking this classes would be worth your while. Most schools will consider your grad GPA over undergrad and though your undergrad GPA is a little low, it's not the worst.
Grad school grades do not remediate a weak undergrad performance.
We expect A's from a Master's program!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Grad school grades do not remediate a weak undergrad performance.
We expect A's from a Master's program!

Sorry, this is just something I've been told by several admissions counselors now. They still look at undergrad performance but grad school GPA is taken into more consideration. But it definitely doesn't hold true for all schools! Just the few I have spoken with