Reapplying after previous acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joueaupluie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone apply one year, get in, decide not to go, change her mind and decide to apply again the following year?
Do you think it would look bad to the school that you didn't take their acceptance the first time? I know it's super late in the game for this application cycle, but my family seems to think I would get in since I did before...Seems like a potential waste of money to me.
Have you ever heard of a school re-opening an application from the previos year if you got in (do schools even keep around old applications?).

I know I can call the school and talk to the admissions department. I intended to do that all week, but felt nervous about it, so here I am asking you for some preliminary feedback.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone apply one year, get in, decide not to go, change her mind and decide to apply again the following year?
Do you think it would look bad to the school that you didn't take their acceptance the first time? I know it's super late in the game for this application cycle, but my family seems to think I would get in since I did before...Seems like a potential waste of money to me.
Have you ever heard of a school re-opening an application from the previos year if you got in (do schools even keep around old applications?).

I know I can call the school and talk to the admissions department. I intended to do that all week, but felt nervous about it, so here I am asking you for some preliminary feedback.

cheers.

Yeah, I think it could potentially be viewed as a strike against you. Be prepared to answer lots of questions about why you chose not to attend then, and why you would now.

Schools probably do keep records of old applicants, at least to some degree. I'm sure after a time, it gets shredded. I don't know if they would be able to reuse your old application. You will likely need to reapply, fill out everything again, disclose your prior acceptance, and update your application with recent stuff. I think your best bet is to contact the admissions department and see what you need to do to reapply. I'm sure each school has a different policy.

cheers.

more importantly I think you need to seriously think about WHY you turned it down before and why you want to accept it now. You should do this not only for your own sake but also because the school will need to understand that as well. Be honest with yourself and the school and you will be alot better off in the long run

Members don't see this ad :)

cheers.

Why would you do this in the first place? This doesn't make any sense. Obviously you don't have an issue with the school since you would apply again, so why would you turn them down? I would never risk a guaranteed admission for chance. I dunno, the whole scenario doesn't make sense to me at all, but if I were you, I would take my acceptance. Why go thru the whole application process, PS writing, secondary apps, and a lot of $$$ to hope you get into a school that accepted you before??? Now if there is some issue where you can't start school this year (due to medical, family, or some other reasons), then you can talk to the school about deferring your matriculation until next year - they may be willing to do that. But don't throw away your guarantee. It's kinda like winning the lottery, then throwing away the winning ticket in hoping that you will win the bigger jackpot next week.

It sounds to me though like she already turned down the acceptance and I'm guessing it's next to impossible to get that back. I agree with nascardoc though because I couldn't imagine getting an acceptance and not taking it. That is of course unless there were extreme extenuating circumstances but then it seems like you would still try to just defer for a year.

honestly, i don't see why not. hopefully you did something really meaningful and worthwhile during that year. Think about it this way, and I've thought this as well, if you're presented with something that's once in a lifetime and will never be offered again, why wouldn't you take it? are DO philosophy completely propagating that? Unless you sat around and did nothing, I'd try again....it might seem weird to some people, but there are plenty of things I would rather do than go to med school if given the opportunity. ie. sign a recording contract with my band or go on a round the world trip. might seem shallow, but my career choice is not my life......

and with the other person, I worked in an admissions office for undergrad, where they get probably 3x the amount of apps med schools get and they shred them after 5 years. But unless you get the same admissions officer, and the school doesn't require you to disclose it, it's not like anyone would have the time to check, especially now in the thick of the cycle

and with the other person, I worked in an admissions office for undergrad, where they get probably 3x the amount of apps med schools get and they shred them after 5 years. But unless you get the same admissions officer, and the school doesn't require you to disclose it, it's not like anyone would have the time to check, especially now in the thick of the cycle

Two of the schools I applied to you have to list every med school you've ever applied to. A lot of the others have a question on the secondary applications regarding whether or not you have previously applied to that particular school. In that case you have to say yes then they would more than likely figure out that she was accepted but chose not to matriculate. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything but it's something that schools will look at so she needs to be able to explain her reasoning well.