Reapplying Back-to-Back Cycles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocMcMuffins

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted some general advice and opinions for reapplying!

As the 2018 cycle comes to a close I know I'm going to reapply. Basically what hurt me was my MCAT of 502. So I am definitely planning to retake, but since that was the only outlier on my app do you think it is okay to immediately apply for the 2019 cycle? I only applied to 5 schools since I kind of knew I wanted to take a gap year and retake the MCAT.

I've kept up with two weekly volunteer gigs, been promoted at work in my research lab, kept a 4.0, and continued with school activities and leadership positions. Is this enough change to my app to be significant as long as my MCAT increase to about a 507 at least? Thanks!! Any and all opinions will be helpful!
 
I applied last cycle towards the end and was told to reapply the next cycle's start, since my stats were pretty average (501 balanced mcat, good cGPA [3.7] and sGPA [3.8]). Granted my application was sent to basically new schools since I'm a realist and I'd rather have a trans-urethral-resection of my prostate than have to take that test again.... but come August I'm going to a fully accredited DO school and couldn't be happier

good luck mr. reese
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As the 2018 cycle comes to a close I know I'm going to reapply. Basically what hurt me was my MCAT of 502. So I am definitely planning to retake, but since that was the only outlier on my app do you think it is okay to immediately apply for the 2019 cycle? I only applied to 5 schools since I kind of knew I wanted to take a gap year and retake the MCAT.

I've kept up with two weekly volunteer gigs, been promoted at work in my research lab, kept a 4.0, and continued with school activities and leadership positions. Is this enough change to my app to be significant as long as my MCAT increase to about a 507 at least? Thanks!! Any and all opinions will be helpful!
Yes and yes.
 
Just wanted some general advice and opinions for reapplying!

As the 2018 cycle comes to a close I know I'm going to reapply. Basically what hurt me was my MCAT of 502. So I am definitely planning to retake, but since that was the only outlier on my app do you think it is okay to immediately apply for the 2019 cycle? I only applied to 5 schools since I kind of knew I wanted to take a gap year and retake the MCAT.

I've kept up with two weekly volunteer gigs, been promoted at work in my research lab, kept a 4.0, and continued with school activities and leadership positions. Is this enough change to my app to be significant as long as my MCAT increase to about a 507 at least? Thanks!! Any and all opinions will be helpful!

As a former back to back to back re-applicant, I'd say apply as long as you significantly better your app and make sure you don't overlook anything. I cant vouch for the MCAT score as I'm not aware of the new scoring system. I ended up at my dream school, made lifelong friends, and am now an intern in another city.
 
I'm a successful back to back reapplicant and the only thing that I have changed this cycle was my school list (which was very top heavy last cycle) & my essays. Hope that helps. Good luck!
 
Successful back to back Reapplicant. Speaking to the suggestions above about school list: it depends how drastically your MCAT score improves. In my personl experience, my state schools liked to see the persistence and commitment to their programs. Changing my OOS school list helped 0%.
 
I know this thread has been dead for a while but just trying to see if anyone has any info on GW reapplicant info? I got an II jan last cycle and now for sept this cycle, which i think is a good sign but trying to see if theres anyone who knows more about the situation.