Reapplying for Radiology as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Did you interview at any radiology programs? Or you are thinking of switching after ranking all GS programs?

You can always re-apply the following year for a PGY-2 position... although you may need to re-do intern year or something. Either way, you should go into the field you want!
 
Did you interview at any radiology programs? Or you are thinking of switching after ranking all GS programs?

You can always re-apply the following year for a PGY-2 position... although you may need to re-do intern year or something. Either way, you should go into the field you want!

It was all General Surgery and I'm thinking of possibly switching!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Eyeh8bullies may I ask what specifically about the surgery lifestyle hit you to decide that you want to switch?
 
Hello,

I matched categorical General Surgery. Unfortunately, I have doubts all this time, and it finally hit me that the surgery lifestyle is not for me (I thought I could handle it). I had a rads rotation that I did after I submitted my list, and I absolutely loved it, so Im thinking applying to rads as a PGY1.

What are my chances of landing radiology spot in a big city (+500k). My stats are 23X/25X Step 1/2. My class rank is low however. I am a DO. Do I have a shot or should I include a backup specialty like FM? Please advise!

Apply broadly. Not sure about big city. You can always do fellowship which is easier to get if you need to.
 
@Eyeh8bullies may I ask what specifically about the surgery lifestyle hit you to decide that you want to switch?
As someone that is currently doing a surgery internship, there is nothing good about the schedule, it’s all about maximizing the most amount of work they can make there residents do and it’s an underling expectation that you will falsely report your working hours, we almost always go over 80 hr a week. Malignant personality’s, finger pointing mentality, I could go on for days.
 
As someone that is currently doing a surgery internship, there is nothing good about the schedule, it’s all about maximizing the most amount of work they can make there residents do and it’s an underling expectation that you will falsely report your working hours, we almost always go over 80 hr a week. Malignant personality’s, finger pointing mentality, I could go on for days.
Are you contemplating on switching into radiology?
 
As someone that is currently doing a surgery internship, there is nothing good about the schedule, it’s all about maximizing the most amount of work they can make there residents do and it’s an underling expectation that you will falsely report your working hours, we almost always go over 80 hr a week. Malignant personality’s, finger pointing mentality, I could go on for days.

Are you at an academic or community prelim?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
@NDcienporciento100 I'm thinking DR, and was thinking of doing a surgery prelim since I hate rounds. Would you suggest IM instead?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad