Reapplying in same field after matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YogurtGrrrl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, need some outside perspectives on a situation.

I just successfully couples matched with my husband, but despite going on a ton of great interviews, we ended up with our #14 pair. My husband is going into ortho, and we're so grateful that he matched into such a tough field, but are very disappointed because the match means that I will be at an obgyn program that doesn't sync up well with my career goals. (I am very academically oriented and planning on fellowship, but the program mostly pumps out private practice generalists. I mostly received interview offers from top programs, while my husband was middle of the pack.)

The city we'll be in has a top 20-ish obgyn residency that would have been great for me, but I never got off the interview waitlist there despite them telling me that they would've given me an interview if they'd just gotten to my application earlier.

According to the NRMP support line, I can apply again for PGY-1 as a PGY-1 if I'm willing to repeat the year. I would only apply to this one other program, because my husband and I do not want to do long-distance.

Does this seem unreasonable? Do you think I would just be shooting myself in the foot in case the other program doesn't wind up ranking me and I have to stay put at my current program that would likely find out about my request to move and start over? What do you think my chances would be anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

Any chance you could transfer after PGY1? I would explain the program of interest the situation and ask if they accept PGY2 transfers.

Members don't see this ad :)
The major problem you'll run into is trying to match into this program while not upsetting your current program. It's possible that your current program will support you in your attempt to move to their competitor -- but if you're successful, then they are short a PGY-2 resident 3 months later and are scrambling to find a new one. You can try to keep it a secret from your program, although this often ends badly. As has already been mentioned, getting a PGY-2 spot would be ideal but requires someone else to drop out.

Reactions: 2 users
This sounds like a tough situation. Any chance you could find a mentor elsewhere (in my speciality, they have opportunities for E-mentors) who is as academically minded as you and plan now for a fellowship? Trying to switch programs will be very difficulty, though not completely impossible.

These are the hazards of the Couple's Match.
For an Ortho/ObG match, #14 is a spectacular outcome.
If somebody drops out of your preferred program you will be poised for a transfer.
Re-applying, while doing well enough during internship for the opportunity to repeat internship seems... challenging.

That a particular program "pumps out" mostly private practioners does not mean some grads do not go on to fellowships.This is likely the case at your matched program.If you are interested in academics, there are always options by doing electives at academic programs or research during and after residency.
You might be able to transfer but as has been stated there are risks in this plan.
You seem disappointed in your match but your best bet is to excel in your current program.If you perform well you will very likely get a fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user