Reapplying MCAT/app timing help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habawaba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I was just wondering what you think of submitting an app with a pending MCAT score if that is the main difference in the app. I really have no idea what I got (I left feeling a lot worse about my performance than practice) although I did average 34-35 on AAMC practice tests. I have a 30 from before and felt I could do much better as I didn't really prepare for that one (kind of regretting after feeling abused by the second real test). The score does come out on July 3rd and I was originally just going to wait until then but reading SDN is making me feel like that's late especially for a reapplicant.

So any advice? Should I just wait it out or submit and gamble? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

I was just wondering what you think of submitting an app with a pending MCAT score if that is the main difference in the app. I really have no idea what I got (I left feeling a lot worse about my performance than practice) although I did average 34-35 on AAMC practice tests. I have a 30 from before and felt I could do much better as I didn't really prepare for that one (kind of regretting after feeling abused by the second real test). The score does come out on July 3rd and I was originally just going to wait until then but reading SDN is making me feel like that's late especially for a reapplicant.

From my understanding, being a re-applicant is bad only if you have had problems from the last application that were not resolved in your current application. I am doubtful that, if the issues were fixed, that it will be held against you to a significant degree. If it is held against you, it can easily be argued that fixing the mistake(s)/improving the application dispels any doubts (people make mistakes, and just because one gets in the first time doesn't mean they did so in a planned, careful manner - they may have just gotten lucky).

If everything is ready to go before your MCAT comes in (transcripts, LoR's, Activities, Most Meaningful essays, PS, and even Secondary essays if you have the time), then I am doubtful that July 3rd would be "late." Sometimes, people may confuse "not early" with "late," but there is in fact a middle ground. July 3rd is the earlier part of that middle ground.

I realize that AMCAS claims that it can take 4-6 weeks to process the application, but my experiences have shown that this is an exaggeration. Mine, for example, was processed in a little over 2 weeks, and this was in October. I think they say "4-6 weeks" as a safety net just in case extreme circumstances arise.

If you are unsure about your MCAT score, I would wait until it comes in to submit. It is much better to take the MCAT a third time and score well (if need be) than to do that AND submit a third application.

Last edited:
I am also reapplying with a previous MCAT score already registered. My AMCAS has already been verified (7/10), but if I were to retake my MCAT at a later date (8/23) would schools wait until they receive my 8/23 MCAT before sending out secondaries or reviewing my application? Would this defeat the purpose of applying early?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also reapplying with a previous MCAT score already registered. My AMCAS has already been verified (7/10), but if I were to retake my MCAT at a later date (8/23) would schools wait until they receive my 8/23 MCAT before sending out secondaries or reviewing my application? Would this defeat the purpose of applying early?

No they wouldn't/it is never a bad idea to apply early. Your application has already been verified, so unless you indicated on your primary app that you plan to take the test on 8/23 they would not know.

Also, they'd make a decision about secondaries based on your current numbers. Your score would get to them right around the time interviews start, so if you have a good jump in your score it will only help you regardless of timing.

Hello.

You should submit as early as possible. 30 is a great score and is not going to screen you out for most secondaries. Hopefully you do even better on the retake at which point you can update the schools.

Also, for this application go over all your essays and rewrite them. Show that you've improved over the last year in some ways. Hope this helps.

I am in the almost exact same position as the OP (i.e., 30 from last year but retook hoping for a much better score).

Can someone confirm that the best thing to do is submit to one school WITHOUT telling AMCAS my new test date (July 06th) -- as this is the only way to get them to verify NOW -- and then after I'm verified I will add my new test date / scores and apply to the other schools.

cool beans? this works?

Even if you submit and tell amcas you have an MCAT exam pending they will still verify it regardless. You just won't be complete at schools until your mcat scores come in.

There's no "trick" to get verified faster by not telling amcas now.

Plus if you already took it July 6th it will show up in there system already.