Reapplying question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on reapplying for medical school. My essay that I wrote on my first ACOMAS was pretty solid. I wanted to if anybody knows if med schools keep prior applications - meaning if i use the same essay will they have my old one to catch me!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get interviews or secondaries during this application period? Is there something that has happened this past year that has influenced your decision to pursue medicine? I am sure you can use the same personal statement, but I would just change it up a little bit.

applying for the second time can be frustrating. The reality is that you didn't get in for a reason. Do you know what that reason is? If not, I would try to speak to someone at the school about your file. Once you find out, I would play up in the ps how you've remedied whatever your situation was and what you've learned from the experience. Even if you can't find out why you weren't admitted, you have lived another year of your life...what new things have you done that impacted the way you think about medicine, the world, etc. Also, have friends and family read your ps...sometimes you think something is great, but a few little changes would make it stand out just that much more.

good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was thinking about that too - the whole should I change my personal statement..... however I actually thought of it after I sent in the app. In my opinion though....I worked so hard on the first one- I don't know what I could have done to change it - I just changed the first paraghraph - Let me know what you did - hey good luck

SL0926 said:
applying for the second time can be frustrating. The reality is that you didn't get in for a reason. Do you know what that reason is? If not, I would try to speak to someone at the school about your file. Once you find out, I would play up in the ps how you've remedied whatever your situation was and what you've learned from the experience. Even if you can't find out why you weren't admitted, you have lived another year of your life...what new things have you done that impacted the way you think about medicine, the world, etc. Also, have friends and family read your ps...sometimes you think something is great, but a few little changes would make it stand out just that much more.

good luck! :D

I totally agree here. Why did you not get in the last time? This is super important, otherwise, you may waste time trying the fix things that never mattered and not what did.

Why do you think your PS is so solid? Did the admissions committees say that? I know you think it is great but...it is kinda of an arrogant presumption to believe that it was not a factor in the less favorable response to your app. There are many instances where the app gets a less than favorable response because a PS is misconstrued or felt to be professionally polished.

Find out from the horse's mouth. Most schools will let you talk with their admissions people to find out how you could have been more competative.

Good Luck :) :) :thumbup:

Hey Guys,
Need a little help here. I'm currently a reapplicant, I applied last year and didn't get any interviews, so I decided this year I'd retake the MCAT in April and try to apply earlier than last. As far as grades is concerned, I do not have a strong GPA, overall a 2.83. I believe I might've put some classes in the wrong category, b/c my science GPA is lower than that, which I know it isn't. I attribute my GPA mainly b/c I started a mechanical engineering major, then finally switched to Exercise Physiology. I was also in the Corps at A&M and it didn't help much my first year. Ever since I switched, I had 3.0+ GPAs. I wanted to ask you guys for an honest opinion. I graduated back in Aug '03, when I first applied I applied pretty late, submitted the TMDSAS in mid to late July and scored a 24L on the MCAT. This second time around, I took the April MCAT, got a 27N, and submitted my app real early. It got sent 07/14/2004, and all my secondaries were completed either on or before that date. I applied to all 8 Texas schools including Baylor as well. I have a lot of good secondary experiences and leadership experience. I worked a camp for chronically diseased children, doing research at St. Luke's on the TexGen project, and was Commanding Officer of my company in the Corps at A&M. I have a really strong personal statement and other secondary experiences. I am currently doing personal training at 24 Hour Fitness, so for UNT, I completely understand the concept of wellness and disease prevention.

So what do you guys/gals think? Do they see this as persistance and that I tried harder this time around to get in? I'm sure that's a plus. So, just your honest opinions, think I'll get any interviews at all? I mean, I'd love to stay in Houston, but I know how competitive it is. Thanks guys for your help, and good luck to all of you!!

Hermes02 said:
Hey Guys,
Need a little help here. I'm currently a reapplicant, I applied last year and didn't get any interviews, so I decided this year I'd retake the MCAT in April and try to apply earlier than last. As far as grades is concerned, I do not have a strong GPA, overall a 2.83.
This is a tough call. I think if you were a 3.5+ I would probably say you're in. The problem is that you won't even get an interview at some schools with that gpa. So, they won't even look at your app. They see if you met the cut off. If not, dump goes your app. Talk to the dean of any school you really want to go to. That way, he'll at least look at it and give you a heads up.

Hermes02 said:
Hey Guys,
Need a little help here. I'm currently a reapplicant, I applied last year and didn't get any interviews, so I decided this year I'd retake the MCAT in April and try to apply earlier than last. As far as grades is concerned, I do not have a strong GPA, overall a 2.83. I believe I might've put some classes in the wrong category, b/c my science GPA is lower than that, which I know it isn't. I attribute my GPA mainly b/c I started a mechanical engineering major, then finally switched to Exercise Physiology. I was also in the Corps at A&M and it didn't help much my first year. Ever since I switched, I had 3.0+ GPAs. I wanted to ask you guys for an honest opinion. I graduated back in Aug '03, when I first applied I applied pretty late, submitted the TMDSAS in mid to late July and scored a 24L on the MCAT. This second time around, I took the April MCAT, got a 27N, and submitted my app real early. It got sent 07/14/2004, and all my secondaries were completed either on or before that date. I applied to all 8 Texas schools including Baylor as well. I have a lot of good secondary experiences and leadership experience. I worked a camp for chronically diseased children, doing research at St. Luke's on the TexGen project, and was Commanding Officer of my company in the Corps at A&M. I have a really strong personal statement and other secondary experiences. I am currently doing personal training at 24 Hour Fitness, so for UNT, I completely understand the concept of wellness and disease prevention.

So what do you guys/gals think? Do they see this as persistance and that I tried harder this time around to get in? I'm sure that's a plus. So, just your honest opinions, think I'll get any interviews at all? I mean, I'd love to stay in Houston, but I know how competitive it is. Thanks guys for your help, and good luck to all of you!!
Even if you put classes in the wrong category on your app it would've been fixed by the application services.You may want to take some time out to work on your GPA. Maybe even enter a masters program. If you are a reapplicant you need to ask yourself why. Obviously, its due to your gpa. If i were you, I wouldn't reapply without improving my gpa (thats what I did). Are you planning on applying for DO and MD? Regardless, if you really want to go to med school you should work on your gpa. This will show your persistance. Good luck :luck: