coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I am currently on the waitlist for one school, and considering the possibility of reapplying this year. I have a few question and hope you wise guys can help me out and throw some hope in me. Thanks.
1. Do I have to get additional recommendation letters? It is hard for me now since I already graduated last year and lost in touch with previous professors. What if I apply to the schools I didn't apply last cycle, do I still need new letters?
2. Personal statement. Same question. I don't think there is much more space for me to improve on that since I spent all the time I had on it. Do I have to revise it even if I apply to different school than last cycle?
3. DAT score. I took the test on March 2009 and the scores are AA21 TS22 PA21 RC20 BI20 GC24 OC21 QR21. I am not super excited about my score but I am ok with it, and considering I am not 100% sure that I can do better if I take it again, I decide to use these scores again. So can I still use them for all the schools this year?
At the end, I want to congrats to the people who got accepted by multiple schools, but if you already decides on which school to go to, please spear the other seats to people like me who feel being tortured everyday desperately waiting to see that number appear on the cellphone to break to the good news. really...and I want to let people who are in the same shoes to know that you are not alone, cheer up, it all work out at the end. at least I still believe...

Mar 21, 2010
Status
1. not sure but my undergraduate advisor said at least 1 new.
2. that's what many people say but I doubt that schools know what you wrote last year.
3. I don't think you need to retake your DAT but maybe your GPA is the problem? what's your GPA?

OP
C

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Status
Dental Student
My GPA is 3.7 at a community college and 3.39 at UCLA, overall is 3.6 for science and for 3.58 total.

NCToothDr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I feel your pain - I too was waitlisted last year. But it worked out for me this year, so here's my advice:

1) I didn't change LOR at all - as long as you have/can get copies of the old ones, they'll do
2) Don't reinvent the wheel on the personal statement - but do add what you've done to improve and that you were waitlisted.
3) DAT is good. Most schools disregard the community college GPA, so they are weighing that UCLA GPA more heavily.

If it doesn't work out this year, I'd suggest doing something to improve your experience in your time off. (ie. dental lab work, dental office work, research, seriously volunteer, whatever you enjoy and are passionate about). Show maturity. Work on interview skills. Make connections (ie call dean, follow up, email, etc etc etc). Good luck and never give up hope.

OP
C

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I feel your pain - I too was waitlisted last year. But it worked out for me this year, so here's my advice:

1) I didn't change LOR at all - as long as you have/can get copies of the old ones, they'll do
2) Don't reinvent the wheel on the personal statement - but do add what you've done to improve and that you were waitlisted.
3) DAT is good. Most schools disregard the community college GPA, so they are weighing that UCLA GPA more heavily.

If it doesn't work out this year, I'd suggest doing something to improve your experience in your time off. (ie. dental lab work, dental office work, research, seriously volunteer, whatever you enjoy and are passionate about). Show maturity. Work on interview skills. Make connections (ie call dean, follow up, email, etc etc etc). Good luck and never give up hope.
Thanks a lot! and congrats on the acceptance this year! I won't give up hope, that's something that we should never give up.

OP
C

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Status
Dental Student
damn dude, you got nice GPA and a nice DAT score, how many schools you applied to?
I applied for UCLA, USC, UCSF, UOP, Harvard, Columbia, UPENN, Michigan and I added Boston and Tufts in November. I guess the first few schools were out of my league a little bit looking back now. And I am on waitlist for Michigan.

txlonghorn

5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2009
Status
Dental Student
So would you recommend writing a new personal statement or using the same one but changing like a paragraph from it?

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Damn, I'm pretty surprised you didn't hear back from schools with those stats. But I think you know your problem from this cycle: you only applied to the tougher schools. IF you have to do it again next year, just apply early and widely, and you'll definitely get multiple interviews. November was probably too late in the game to apply to boston and tufts.

If anything, I'd say take some classes or something and raise the GPA maybe (which is already good), but your DAT score is too solid to retake since there's always that risk of getting a lower score when you get in the 20+'s. Other than that, I think just the combination of some solid shadowing or work experience in the clinic and applying early to more schools will result in success if it does come down to reapplying.

But again, don't lose hope.. I'm in the same situation as you. After 6 interviews (1 still coming up), still no acceptances, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection :( So I definitely feel your pain, hope it works out for all of us still waiting. Thanks for this thread though, it was helpful for me too since I might have to reapply next year. Ahhhhh, so annoying.

K Niner

7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2009
Status
Dentist
Don't change the letters, but schools keep your application from the previous years, and expect not to receive the same PS as the previous year. So I wouldn't vastly change it but I would change it some. Other than that you look set. And don't even think about retaking the dat. What if you did worse?

OP
C

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Damn, I'm pretty surprised you didn't hear back from schools with those stats. But I think you know your problem from this cycle: you only applied to the tougher schools. IF you have to do it again next year, just apply early and widely, and you'll definitely get multiple interviews. November was probably too late in the game to apply to boston and tufts.

If anything, I'd say take some classes or something and raise the GPA maybe (which is already good), but your DAT score is too solid to retake since there's always that risk of getting a lower score when you get in the 20+'s. Other than that, I think just the combination of some solid shadowing or work experience in the clinic and applying early to more schools will result in success if it does come down to reapplying.

But again, don't lose hope.. I'm in the same situation as you. After 6 interviews (1 still coming up), still no acceptances, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection :( So I definitely feel your pain, hope it works out for all of us still waiting. Thanks for this thread though, it was helpful for me too since I might have to reapply next year. Ahhhhh, so annoying.
I agree. Definately I will spread the school range if there is a next time. You should be in a little more ease than me since the 6 interviews. Ya,don't give up hope, because there still is. And we will be fine either way.

OP
C

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Don't change the letters, but schools keep your application from the previous years, and expect not to receive the same PS as the previous year. So I wouldn't vastly change it but I would change it some. Other than that you look set. And don't even think about retaking the dat. What if you did worse?
Haha. Ya, I originally was thinking maybe boost the DAT but then it might backfire and all that time energy money investment made me think twice. So I guess I will keep the score.

Nov 30, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I'd update and refresh everything. When you rewrite your personal statement, tell what you've done in the past year, and what you've learned from not getting in, why you're more dedicated now than ever etc. etc.

Even if the letters are from the same people some schools (minnesota being one example) want COMPLETELY redone letters. They can be from the same people, but it has to be a new letter. While it's a pain in the ass, getting a hold of some old professors might be inevitable. Don't hesitate to talk to employers and dentists to get new letters also.

DAT seems pretty baller, thats one thing you shouldn't have to redo!

Aug 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Like other's said...refresh/update everything...with your letters, at least get them to change the date and submit new letters.

ALSO..considering your stellar stats (GPA and DAT) with no acceptance so far, perhaps your weakness is in interviewing? I say this because I've found that a lot of people fresh out of undergrad have no interviewing experience. I worked for a few years out of college and did a bunch of mock interviews and engineering interviews.

One key to interviewing is giving examples...like don't just say your strength is that you're hardworking or dedicated...give an example that demonstrates your strength. Turn your weakness into a positive with an example...like: "I'm scare of public speaking, so I joined the toastmaster's club and it's really helping me get over my fear"---stuff like that...

I'm just speculating...don't underestimate the interview (if you have to reapply)...And like other's said...apply to more schools...BEST OF LUCK!

OP
C

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Like other's said...refresh/update everything...with your letters, at least get them to change the date and submit new letters.

ALSO..considering your stellar stats (GPA and DAT) with no acceptance so far, perhaps your weakness is in interviewing? I say this because I've found that a lot of people fresh out of undergrad have no interviewing experience. I worked for a few years out of college and did a bunch of mock interviews and engineering interviews.

One key to interviewing is giving examples...like don't just say your strength is that you're hardworking or dedicated...give an example that demonstrates your strength. Turn your weakness into a positive with an example...like: "I'm scare of public speaking, so I joined the toastmaster's club and it's really helping me get over my fear"---stuff like that...

I'm just speculating...don't underestimate the interview (if you have to reapply)...And like other's said...apply to more schools...BEST OF LUCK!
Good stuff. Appreciate the advise. Thanks!