Reapplying questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishpint

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I applied for the 2006 cycle and had 3 interviews and was on 3 waiting lists before eventually hearing no good news :(

I didn't reapply immediately and instead have taken 11 additional credits, done some research, work in a lab @ the medical school and done some volunteer work to improve my application. I've also studied for the DAT (18s last time) in the hope of getting it up into the 20s but haven't taken it yet.

I have 3 main questions:
-Should my personal statement mention something about reapplying/why I didn't apply last year? I was thinking I could talk about being dejected since it was my goal, blah, took some time to consider options and refocus before assessing my application, looking for weak spots, improving, etc. But at the same time I'm not sure if it helps me or hurts me that I'm a reapplicant so I wasn't sure if I should mention it or not.

-Should I email the 3 schools I interviewed at, as well as some others I'm still interested in, and explain my situation and let them know I plan to apply this year as a 'heads up'. I've heard they print off everything and it goes in your file and I figure giving them something like that is encouraging and makes sure they're aware of my situation and reasoning.

-My second semester of my junior year was tough for a variety of reasons but I ended up getting on disciplinary probation for the semester. Obviously it ended at the end of the semester but the applications ask if you EVER were on probation and to be honest I really don't feel like getting into it and trying to justify and explain what happened in 125 characters. I think it's probably a big turn off to them. So I'm wondering what would happen if I just didn't mention it- do they have my old application that they will be comparing it to? Should I be concerned about this at all or should I just tell them the truth?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i'd give up if i were you. getting into dschool is only getting more competitive each year. if you couldn't get int his year, you won't get in next year, sorry.

the world needs ditch diggers too :laugh:

No I don't think you should email the schools to give them the "heads up" that you plan to reapply again.

Schools receive hundreds if not thousands of applications. They probably get plenty of emails/phone calls from applicants telling them how badly they want to be accepted. That isn't what will impress them.

Asking them how you can improve your application isn't a bad idea, but how would telling them you plan to reapply be helpful to them or you?

But do what you want . . .

-Should my personal statement mention something about reapplying/why I didn't apply last year? I wouldn't mention it in the personal statement. Some secondaries will ask if and where you have previously applied. Use the personal statement to let the adcom know you are a decent person, and why you want to be a dentist.

-Should I email the 3 schools I interviewed at? I would say no. If anything, you should have already called when you were not accepted to ask how to improve your application. At this point your prior application is about 3 to 5K further away from short term memory in the admissions office. If you have a personal relationship with someone in the admissions office then this could change what type of contact to have with them. Otherwise, get ready to reapply.

-My second semester of my junior I ended up getting on disciplinary probation for the semester. Should I be concerned about this at all or should I just tell them the truth? Tell them the truth, but only when you are asked. I wouldn't include this discussion in the personal statement. If it comes up somewhere else in AADSAS (I don't recall if it does or not) or on the secondary applications (where it would likely come up) then you should already have your two paragraph explanation already typed up, saved, and ready to cut and paste with possibly a few customizations for the application.

GL!