Reapplying thoughts and advice

Started by tcirre93
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tcirre93

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I applied to 13 schools last cycle in the Midwest. I am a non traditional 27 year old applicant. Specifically Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I ended up with no acceptances from any MD programs and 1 acceptance from a DO program. I ended up declining the acceptance due to the extreme tuition with a cost of attendance of 115k per year. That debt load was simply too high to be realistic for a DO program. This cycle I am open to MSTP dual degree programs. I had a few semesters before the age of 20 with a few lower grades. The last 5 years I have had good grades.

My stats are: sGPA: 3.93 cGPA: 3.71 MCAT: 516

I have worked as a firefighter paramedic for a few years as well as worked as a medic in an ER for a cumulative experience of 7000 hours minus clinical training and educational experience.

I have about 1200 hours of combined research in Genomics, Molecular Dynamics Simulation, and Analytical chemistry. I have volunteered 500 hours combined for my local farm bureau and health department.

I have a BS in Biochemistry and an AAS from my local community college in Emergency Medical Services. Unfortunately, I was unable to complete high school due to medical reasons and obtained a GED instead. I was informed by several physicians that I have worked with that the GED might be a barrier to entry.

I have applied to these schools so far:

Carle Illinois College of Medicine Regular
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
New York University School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine: Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D
University of Illinois College of Medicine

I am looking to diversify my list and add some more MD/Ph.D programs.

Thanks for the insight!
 
I am assuming you are an Illinois resident. You need to apply more broadly and not just to schools in the Midwest. I suggest adding all these schools this week.
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
 
I am assuming you are an Illinois resident. You need to apply more broadly and not just to schools in the Midwest. I suggest adding all these schools this week.
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
OP, to this list, add:
OH State
U Cincy
Emory
Dartmouth
Case
Pitt
Mayo
keck