Reapplying thoughts and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcirre93

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I applied to 13 schools last cycle in the Midwest. I am a non traditional 27 year old applicant. Specifically Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I ended up with no acceptances from any MD programs and 1 acceptance from a DO program. I ended up declining the acceptance due to the extreme tuition with a cost of attendance of 115k per year. That debt load was simply too high to be realistic for a DO program. This cycle I am open to MSTP dual degree programs. I had a few semesters before the age of 20 with a few lower grades. The last 5 years I have had good grades.

My stats are: sGPA: 3.93 cGPA: 3.71 MCAT: 516

I have worked as a firefighter paramedic for a few years as well as worked as a medic in an ER for a cumulative experience of 7000 hours minus clinical training and educational experience.

I have about 1200 hours of combined research in Genomics, Molecular Dynamics Simulation, and Analytical chemistry. I have volunteered 500 hours combined for my local farm bureau and health department.

I have a BS in Biochemistry and an AAS from my local community college in Emergency Medical Services. Unfortunately, I was unable to complete high school due to medical reasons and obtained a GED instead. I was informed by several physicians that I have worked with that the GED might be a barrier to entry.

I have applied to these schools so far:

Carle Illinois College of Medicine Regular
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
New York University School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine: Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D
University of Illinois College of Medicine

I am looking to diversify my list and add some more MD/Ph.D programs.

Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming you are an Illinois resident. You need to apply more broadly and not just to schools in the Midwest. I suggest adding all these schools this week.
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown

I am assuming you are an Illinois resident. You need to apply more broadly and not just to schools in the Midwest. I suggest adding all these schools this week.
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Vermont