Medical Reapplying to Med School: Evaluating Your Medical School Profile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefully by now, you have your acceptance in hand and are gearing up for Fall. If so, then congratulations and good luck!

But what if all you’ve received are rejections?

To start with, know you’re not alone. Last year, only 21,030 applicants made the cut, out of 53,042 applicants – that’s about 40%. And although the number of available allopathic programs has increased slightly, it hasn’t matched the pace of applications, which have steadily increased since 2011.

So what’s your next step, now that you won’t be starting med school?

Next Step

Use this time to reevaluate your commitment to being a doctor. The ache of rejection might cloud your immediate judgment, but do your best to project yourself into the future. Do you still envision yourself as a doctor? Have any of your reasons for pursuing medicine changed? If so, then how? Are there other paths that appeal to you – do you think you could find happiness and fulfillment in another profession?

For many people, the process of applying for medical school is the first time they have critically examined their desire to be a doctor. Sometimes the answer is surprising. There’s no shame in deciding that medicine might not be right for you – there is a myriad of other options, either in healthcare or other fields. But it is vital that you know whether getting rejected is merely a setback or a watershed.

Evaluate Your Application

Assuming that your commitment remains strong, it’s time to take a good, hard look at your application. It would be misleading to say this process is an easy one. But what I’d like to do, in this guide, is break it down into manageable parts that will help you identify your weaknesses and strengthen your next application. In future sections, we’ll look at how your profile appeared to the admissions committee and the concrete steps you can take to address your weaknesses. But first, we’ll take a look at your fundamental profile and see how it stacks up against successful applicants.

Academic record and GPA:

Is your GPA competitive? Does your transcript reflect a breadth of interests (humanities, social science and foreign language classes as well as sciences)? And if you had difficulties, were they early in your college career – did your grades show an upward trend?

Time and again, medical schools say that students should not be obsessed with perfect grades. This statement is hard to swallow when applicants’ GPAs keep rising. In 2016, the mean GPA for applicants was 3.55; for matriculants, it was 3.7. Of course, not everyone who got in had these grades – there’s always a range above and below. However, it does suggest that the applicant pool is getting more competitive. If your GPA doesn’t fall within .2-.3 points, you should consider ways to improve your grades.

Mistakes linger and it’s hard to fix your GPA after the fact, but there are some concrete steps you can take – more on that in the third chapter.

MCAT:

In 2016, the mean MCAT score for all allopathic applicants was 501.8; for matriculants, it was 508.7. Obviously there is a spread of scores on both sides of these numbers, but if you’re more than a couple of points below, this could be a problem in your profile.

If you scored lower than expected, you should also assess what went wrong. Were you unprepared for the questions that were asked? Did any particular areas give you trouble? If so, you should question your study practices and take additional steps to prepare. On the other hand, if you scored significantly higher on practice tests or ran out of time, it could signal test anxiety – a not-uncommon affliction. It’s not unusual to be nervous the first time you sit the exam, it’s an unusual situation after all, but if you feel that your nervousness was extreme and impaired your performance, it’s likely to be something you should address.

Keep in mind that a good MCAT score can help mitigate a lower GPA, and vice versa, but a significant discrepancy between the two can signal a problem. A 33 with a 3.5 is better than a 25 with a 4.0 or a 37 with a 2.8.

Clinical experience:

Medical schools look for a working knowledge of the health professions as demonstrated through volunteering or shadowing. Too many applicants present an impressive list of accomplishments, but lack any serious engagement in the healthcare field. You’ve got to demonstrate that you understand the realities of the profession, that you are service-minded, and that you’re committed to practicing medicine.

But all positions are not equal. Commitment and quality, exhibited through substantive, longer term experiences, hold more value than a series of short-term shadowing opportunities. At least two substantive experiences are recommended to demonstrate commitment and interest. If you have less, this is definitely an area that you can improve.

Research experience:

Some medical schools value research more than others; clinical volunteer work and community service are enough for others. But as the applicant pool grows more selective, research has gone from being a way to distinguish applicants to a more basic part of a well-rounded application. If you left this section blank on the AMCAS, it’s worth revisiting, perhaps through a master’s degree.

Leadership and public service:

As important as grades are, the successful med school candidate needs to balance good grades with leadership and service positions outside the classroom. The range of acceptable activities is endless, so it’s important to seek out something that you enjoy. Together, these experiences demonstrate a commitment to serving others and an appreciation of human connections – one that ultimately reflects the human dimension of medicine.

Medical schools have always been competitive, but as they become ever more selective, it’s critical that you present the strongest application you can. Honestly assessing your application is your first step to improving your chances next year.

"Reapplying to Med School: Evaluating Your Medical School Profile" is the first post in our series, Medical School Reapplicant Advice: 6 Tips for Success. Click here to get the full series as one compact guide!

Next up: a look at the second part of your application – how you present your experiences to the admissions committee.

By Cydney Foote, Accepted consultant and author of Write Your Way to Medical School, who has helped future physicians craft winning applications since 2001. Want Cyd to help you reapply to med school? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

A Second Chance at Medical School: The A-Z of Applying to Postbac Programs

The Dreaded Med School Rejection: What Now?http://blog.accepted.com/7-reasons-medical-school-applicants-are-rejected/
Medical School Rejection Review Service

This article originally appeared on blog.accepted.com.

Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away.

Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in July 2016, applied about 20 med schools 2016-2017. My college GPA is 3.9, MCAT 35, 3 years clinical volunteer experiences, no shadowing experience. However, I got zero interview invite. I am eager to know what I did wrong, so that I can improve for next round application.

By the way, I was in a 7-year BS/DO program. But I opted out by graduating after 3 years undergraduate study. Does this have any effect on my application to other medical school?

I graduated in July 2016, applied about 20 med schools 2016-2017. My college GPA is 3.9, MCAT 35, 3 years clinical volunteer experiences, no shadowing experience. However, I got zero interview invite. I am eager to know what I did wrong, so that I can improve for next round application.

By the way, I was in a 7-year BS/DO program. But I opted out by graduating after 3 years undergraduate study. Does this have any effect on my application to other medical school?

Thanks for your question, and I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing application season. Some schools are still interviewing for a few more months, so if your application is still being considered, be sure that you're supplying them with updates and your desire to attend.

As for your reapplication, It's very difficult to pinpoint any missteps without reviewing your entire application, but some of the things you might want to consider are:
1) School choices - how many programs did you apply to? Did you apply to both reach and safety schools? Did you do sufficient research into each program to show your fit in your secondaries?
2) Volunteer experiences - 3 years sounds impressive, but the quality of the experience(s) is also important. Many factors can play into how your experiences are evaluated, such as: In what capacity were you volunteering? Were your 3 years of experience in one setting or did you bounce around? Was it recent? Again, this is hard to evaluate without a more focused review.
3) Recommendation letters - are you confident about the quality of your referrers? Do you think they wrote impressive letters?
4) Other activities - leadership, community service, etc. are all very important in illustrating that you're a multi-dimensional candidate and have the qualities the schools are looking for.
5) Presentation - Was your commitment to medical school clear, especially when explaining why you didn't continue the BS/DO program? Did you present yourself in the most compelling way? This is a very subjective item and is hard to self-evaluate, but is so important especially when someone with great stats gets no interviews. Did you repeat the same stories and come across as a one-sided candidate? Did you possibly come across as wishy-washy or arrogant? Again, this is something that it's impossible to judge without an in-depth review, but they are issues that you'll want to think about in your reapp.

I wish you the best of luck in your reapplication, and if there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know!

Cydney