reapplying to residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I quitted intern year halfway through 6 mo ago and now am reapplying. Any advice? Is this possible? Any things i should do to optimize my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I quitted intern year halfway through 6 mo ago and now am reapplying. Any advice? Is this possible? Any things i should do to optimize my chances?

You should have asked for advice then. Why on earth would you do that? that will be a massive red flag for anyone even in the best case scenario.

He's applying to a different specialty: positive LOR . Or was a few months ago

You haven't explicitly said this, but I get the general sense from the fact that you got a lukewarm LOR that you wound up in a "resign or be fired" situation. If that's the case, then having better letters that can hopefully convince someone that you can succeed in a different specialty/environment. Beyond that, how likely you are to succeed will just depend on your step scores and how competitive an applicant you were before this whole fiasco, and you just haven't given us enough information to realistically guess your chances or what you should be doing. If you were a borderline applicant to start out, I think you're really going to have a hard time; if you were actually a strong applicant and just wound up in the wrong specialty or location, then you stand a much better shot.