1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Reapplying to Schools I interviewed at

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by lemmonhead, Aug 1, 2015.

1. lemmonhead

lemmonhead Your ego is not your amigo
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    @Goro @QofQuimica

Would you recommend reapplying to a school where I interviewed but was rejected?

I don't have a tremendous amount of new activities to add. Just a new publication, 2 new LORs, and <100 hours of volunteering. I start scribing next week but this particular school doesn't accept updates.

With this in mind, would you recommend reapplying to any of the schools I applied to last cycle that don't accept updates? I'm on a tight budget here and don't want to make any more secondary donations.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It would depend upon your getting feedback on your rejection. No one's going to come out and say "your interview sucked and you had the brain of a flea", but if you were short on volunteering, or applied late and interviewed late (when schools get pickier) then you might be in a better spot if you've remedied any deficits the interviewers saw.

If the school won't give you nay feedback, then try different schools.

Updates really don't help unless the school specifically stats "we welcome updates".

4. lemmonhead

lemmonhead Your ego is not your amigo
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Thanks

5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    We don't usually re-interview people.

Goro likes this.
  6. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Agree with Goro that it depends on why you were rejected. If you can get specific feedback from the school, and it is something tangible that can be fixed relatively quickly (such as accumulating more shadowing, volunteering, updated grades, etc.), then it may be worthwhile to reapply there. Otherwise, you are almost certainly better off applying to a different school rather than reapplying to this one. Unlike a pre-interview rejection, these people had a chance to meet you in person, and they likely didn't think you were a good fit for their school. Sometimes it's best to take the hint when the first guy or gal says they're "busy," and ask someone else out instead. That being said, don't get too discouraged by their rejection. Just because this one school didn't think you were a good fit for them doesn't mean you won't be a great fit somewhere else. Try to learn from any mistakes you made (such as applying late, not preparing properly for interviews, not applying strategically to a realistic list of schools, etc.), and make sure you have someone mock interview you to give you feedback on how you can come across more effectively during interviews.

Best of luck with your apps. :)

Goro and gyngyn like this.
  7. Dr. Sophrosyne

Pre-Medical
    What about reapplying to schools that one was wait-listed at? Would your advice be any different here? I've followed the feedback that I was given by the med schools, but are there any other tips you all would suggest.

bisonbison likes this.
  8. whiterice34

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would also like to know this. I was waitlisted at Touro-NY, ACOM, and LMU-DCOM last cycle and was banking on getting interviews there again this year.

9. cabinbuilder

cabinbuilder Urgent Care Physician
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I also agree it depends on why you were rejected. I did not get into LECOM the first time around because I applied late and the class was full and I was waitlisted. I reapplied day one of the next cycle 2 months later and got in without issue.

#8 cabinbuilder, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Goro likes this.
  10. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This is a very common story I see on SDN.

11. Seth Joo

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That won't happen at an Allopathic school, also getting an interview at an Allopathic school is much harder than a DO school, I applied to 10 MD schools and got only two invites, applied to 9 DO schools and was invited to every single school, only wound up attending 5 interviews and declined four of them. I actually knew someone who got into one school turned them down, then applied again the following year got in again, but applied somewhere else.

12. familyaerospace

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was accepted to a school I was waitlisted at a few years in a row. I would say reapply to the WLs.

13. abcjmz

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would also reapply to any schools at which you interviewed. I received 4 late interviews last cycle and was waitlisted at all of them. This cycle I received interviews from 3 of the 4 schools where I was waitlisted and am already accepted to one of them. As others have mentioned, the fact that you were waitlisted may not have been solely your fault, rather, there may have been other factors at play (late application, unintentional bias in your interview, slightly more competitive applicant pool that year, etc.)

14. keepSwimmingNemo

2+ Year Member

If you have a poor GPA but plan to enroll in a pPC and you want those grades to be used then can't you just do one massive update in December