Reapplying while on the waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PLZ46

Reaction score
With the first day to submit AMCAS coming up I’m wondering if I can reapply to a school that I am currently on the waitlist for? How might this be perceived in the eyes of admissions? If they see that I had reapplied would that increase my chances of getting off the waitlist because they see that I still want to attend? Or, would this look like I have given up on the 2020 cycle and potentially hurt me? Any advice is welcomed!!

Members don't see this ad.

With the first day to submit AMCAS coming up I’m wondering if I can reapply to a school that I am currently on the waitlist for? How might this be perceived in the eyes of admissions? If they see that I had reapplied would that increase my chances of getting off the waitlist because they see that I still want to attend? Or, would this look like I have given up on the 2020 cycle and potentially hurt me? Any advice is welcomed!!
Here's a tip -- This year, they won't see it until 7/10. At that point, your question will be moot at a lot of schools. Are you still concerned? In fact, you really should consider only applying to one school (not necessarily a throwaway, but not one of your WL schools) to get yourself verified while minimizing your out of pocket costs, and see where you are on 7/10, since nothing is going to be transmitted to schools before then.

I don't see how it can hurt you, since it's really the only prudent thing to do with no As, other than taking a year off to more substantially improve your app, as many advisors and adcoms here recommend. On the other hand, they already know you have no As, so I really don't see how reapplying makes you a more attractive candidate.

TL;DR -- by 7/10 your cycle will very likely be over, so it's not going to matter one way or the other. It's not going to help you, but it won't stop you from getting an A if you were going to get one anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users