Reapplying while on the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this something that is actually helpful/hurtful? :confused:

Not too excited about filling out another AMCAS but just curious what you all think...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it would be helpful for this year, but it would certainly be helpful to be early for next year. I don't think it would hurt. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
You would reapply to LECOM as well?

What's RUSOM = Ross University?

Yep. :scared:

Has anyone ever done this? Do you think it could be harmful to call and ask? I guess I could call and not leave my name...

rack said:
should be fine. if anything, it shows your determination.

I am just worried that if they send me another secondary I dont' know where else to get LORs. I just graduated college but get a load of all the LORs they have of mine:

*1st semester orgo prof
*2nd semester orgo prof
*Pre-req prof
*Pre-med advisor, PhD and on the board for my state's med school
*D.O. family practice physican
*Volunteer coordinator
*Functional genomics prof

I know 7 is alot. But 3 or 4 of them were required this year, then I was missing one science so I asked both of my orgo profs in case one said no. Well, they both said yes and sent them. The last one is just being sent now by my professor from this semester along with my LOI.

So what can I do now for LORs? Anyone ever had this problem???

if you are reapplying you cant be expected to get a whole new batch of lors. you can use all of your old ones, and maybe supplement one or two (in your case you already have since being on the waitlist). there hasnt been too much time elapse since your waitlist, so i dont think they would expect much. just look for more potentials and send in whatever you got so it is apparent to them that you are continually trying to improve your file. you may also want into improving the other more weighty things that they look at (mcat or gpa if applicable), as those make the biggest difference when it comes to decision time whether they admit it or not.

By the time you can submit your application and it gets processed and sent to the schools you should be close to knowing anyway. If you want the maximum shot at getting in next year apply the very first day that you can.

rack said:
if you are reapplying you cant be expected to get a whole new batch of lors. you can use all of your old ones, and maybe supplement one or two (in your case you already have since being on the waitlist). there hasnt been too much time elapse since your waitlist, so i dont think they would expect much. just look for more potentials and send in whatever you got so it is apparent to them that you are continually trying to improve your file. you may also want into improving the other more weighty things that they look at (mcat or gpa if applicable), as those make the biggest difference when it comes to decision time whether they admit it or not.

My GPA went up a little from when I applied last. I managed a 3.82 this semester. I also landed an interview to become a CNA trainee which ultimately after the class leads to a job.

So, I now have a new choice: LECOM, Ross, or reapply.

This all plays around LECOM. If I get in there, I am going. If I do not get into LECOM I can go to Ross or reapply. I sent in my deposit to Ross, because I am not ready to say 'no' to there yet. But if I happen to get this CNA job, I was thinking instead of going to Ross I could reapply to LECOM for 2007, work for a year at a nice paying job, and have a slightly higher GPA and a new job to put on my new application.

I know alot of people are not lovin' the carribean choice, but I am not afraid of 'roughing it' there. Mostly leaving my boyfriend of four years is my main reason that is holding me back, next to the stigma. Any thoughts are welcome... :rolleyes:

Seven LOR's is way too many!!! Do not send each school all of these. Depending upon the school's requirement, send them accordingly. Schools DO NOT appreciate having to sort through that kind of B.S. If a school say 3-5, send them 4. Pick the 4 based on the profs you think wrote you the best LOR.

Hold out for another year before you think about heading to Ross. You will not be wasting too much time reapplying. Also, working as a CNA is a great experience that many of your interviewers will talk to you about & it really shows your dedication to your pursuit of medicine.

Krazykritter said:
Seven LOR's is way too many!!! Do not send each school all of these. Depending upon the school's requirement, send them accordingly. Schools DO NOT appreciate having to sort through that kind of B.S. If a school say 3-5, send them 4. Pick the 4 based on the profs you think wrote you the best LOR.

Hold out for another year before you think about heading to Ross. You will not be wasting too much time reapplying. Also, working as a CNA is a great experience that many of your interviewers will talk to you about & it really shows your dedication to your pursuit of medicine.

I didn't send 7 to all the schools, it's explained above how this school ended up getting so many. But thanks for your imput on Ross! :)

Jezzielin said:
Is this something that is actually helpful/hurtful? :confused:

Not too excited about filling out another AMCAS but just curious what you all think...

I'm kind of in the same boat as you Jezzielin! I'm waitlisted at TUCOM-CA and would definitely go if offered a seat either for the class of 2010 or 2011 (they offer guarantee acceptance to some on the waitlist for 2011). I have one new LOR but i am also going to be sending that one to improve my spot on the waitlist. Other than that, i think i'm going to fill out AACOMAS this summer and take the mcat again this august (its the one area with the most room for improvement for me). i was thinking of applying to the carribean..but i actually applied to schools in ireland instead through the atlantic bridge program. hopefully by mid summer we will have a better idea of what to do! =) in the meantime..i dont think it hurts to fill out amcas or aacomas...with luck you'll get into LECOM and wont have to mail in that secondary! good luck! :)