Reapplying while on Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DbDan

I like Bones
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the Where should I apply/What should I do whatever thread in the DO forums but it may be better suited here...

I'm just curious what people's take on this situation is and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position. I'm currently on 2 waitlists at LECOM-B and Touro-NV for the class of 2014. Additionally, I'm on 2 waitlists for SMPs starting this fall (Tufts, EVMS) and I have 2 outstanding SMP apps in Tulane and WesternU.

I was planning on re-applying this cycle in the event that I didn't get into any of the afformentioned programs or re-applying the following year if I were to get into Tufts (since they recommend completion of the program first). The application for DO opens in 2 weeks, I've written a somewhat revised PS, have new ECs and I'm currently retaking a course as well as retook a couple this past summer, so may application has changed since last cycle.

My application could definitely be submitted ASAP so that I could complete much earlier this year than last (I waited to submit till my MCAT scores were in on July 20th and wasn't complete till Aug/Sept) the problem is that if I happen to get off a waitlist come June/July I'm looking at 500 bucks down the drain, something I'm not sure I could afford because that'd likely be my deposit/moving funds if I were to get in What would you do? Should I suck it up and submit ASAP and update w/ spring grades or summer if I dont' get into the programs or should I wait until I hear everything first?

Members don't see this ad.

I would submit ASAP. Waitlists move even a couple of days into school (we had one guy in our class get in two days in to our year - in AUGUST). If you don't get off a waitlist, you want to be in as early as possible. If you do get in off a waitlist, you can jump for joy. But to NOT submit early and NOT get off a waitlist would be shooting yourself in the foot.

I would submit ASAP. Waitlists move even a couple of days into school (we had one guy in our class get in two days in to our year - in AUGUST). If you don't get off a waitlist, you want to be in as early as possible. If you do get in off a waitlist, you can jump for joy. But to NOT submit early and NOT get off a waitlist would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Thank you, I thought about this but kinda needed to hear it from someone else also. I just heard back from Western as well and got invited to interview there. If I can manage to get into their linkage program it may change my application plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I thought about this but kinda needed to hear it from someone else also. I just heard back from Western as well and got invited to interview there. If I can manage to get into their linkage program it may change my application plans.

Apply early man. $500 is nothing compared to lost opportunity that you may have to endure if your application gets in late. If you get off the waitlist, find anyay to scrimp or loan money for the deposit but don't hold off on submitting it in early.

I also have a question regarding reapplying. Would we need to resubmit everything all over again to AACOMAS, such as our Pre-Prof. Committee Letter? On the website it says we can copy last years application, I just wasn't sure how much of it they will let us copy over.

I also have a question regarding reapplying. Would we need to resubmit everything all over again to AACOMAS, such as our Pre-Prof. Committee Letter? On the website it says we can copy last years application, I just wasn't sure how much of it they will let us copy over.

AACOMAS doesn't have a letter service like AMCAS so I'm not sure what you are referring to. All of my letters are on interfolio so I will just resubmit all of them with secondaries again. As for what can be copied over, I think it will let you copy over personal/family info, demographics, personal statement (although I wouldn't apply 2 years in a row with the same statement), work experience, etc.

Basically I think that your entire application can be rolled over if you want it to be that way. I'm guessing that we are going to have to resubmit transcripts though so I'm planning on doing that on Monday as well (means journeys back to my old schools so I can give them those stupid papers that need submission with it lol)

As for my application, I think I'm going to apply to 13 schools this year. Removing some of the ones I applied to last year for one reason or another and applying to a few new ones. What do any of you think of this list?

Re-applying
AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM-B
LECOM-E/SH
Nova
PCOM
Touro-Ca
Western-Ca

New Apps
Western-Oregon (I think this is open this year)
KCOM
OSUCOM

Possibly
DMU
KCUCOM
Touro-NV -> I'm waitlisted here for 2010 but based on their CoA of 75k I came away slightly unimpressed. I don't really know about this
NYCOM -> Debatable here but I love NY, still trying to decide on this one. I grew up on long island

Can you reapply while on the waitlist for MD schools as well?

I'm in a simliar situation where I'm on a waitlist-- but would like to start applying for the next application cycle just in case.
If I am allowed to reapply while on the waitlist-- should I just apply to all the schools besides the one I got waitlisted on (since it might make them think I already gave up?).

Also-- would my school that I'm waitlisted at, ever be able to find out that I am reapplying again? And would I be able to apply to that waitlisted school if I do get rejected later (like add that school to my list- after I submitted my AMCAS).

You SHOULD reapply if you're only on a waitlist. A waitlist is NOT an acceptance. And you certainly don't want to be late in your applications waiting to see if you get off a waitlist.

I posted this in the Where should I apply/What should I do whatever thread in the DO forums but it may be better suited here...

I'm just curious what people's take on this situation is and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position. I'm currently on 2 waitlists at LECOM-B and Touro-NV for the class of 2014. Additionally, I'm on 2 waitlists for SMPs starting this fall (Tufts, EVMS) and I have 2 outstanding SMP apps in Tulane and WesternU.

I was planning on re-applying this cycle in the event that I didn't get into any of the afformentioned programs or re-applying the following year if I were to get into Tufts (since they recommend completion of the program first). The application for DO opens in 2 weeks, I've written a somewhat revised PS, have new ECs and I'm currently retaking a course as well as retook a couple this past summer, so may application has changed since last cycle.

My application could definitely be submitted ASAP so that I could complete much earlier this year than last (I waited to submit till my MCAT scores were in on July 20th and wasn't complete till Aug/Sept) the problem is that if I happen to get off a waitlist come June/July I'm looking at 500 bucks down the drain, something I'm not sure I could afford because that'd likely be my deposit/moving funds if I were to get in What would you do? Should I suck it up and submit ASAP and update w/ spring grades or summer if I dont' get into the programs or should I wait until I hear everything first?

It isn't likely that you are going to get off a waitlist in June or July. You should submit your application as early as you can. If you are "on the bubble" somewhere, the school will let you know. Outside of that, don't wait because if you are a reapplicant, you NEED the early submission.

In the very rare event that you did get in in late June or July, you can borrow money for moving expenses since you are likely going to be borrowing anyway. If you don't have an acceptance after May 15th, your chances of getting in drop to nearly zero. Have that application ready to submit and submit it on the first day that you can.

It isn't likely that you are going to get off a waitlist in June or July. You should submit your application as early as you can. If you are "on the bubble" somewhere, the school will let you know. Outside of that, don't wait because if you are a reapplicant, you NEED the early submission.

In the very rare event that you did get in in late June or July, you can borrow money for moving expenses since you are likely going to be borrowing anyway. If you don't have an acceptance after May 15th, your chances of getting in drop to nearly zero. Have that application ready to submit and submit it on the first day that you can.

While that is the case (from what I understand) for MD schools since it is absolutely required that you hold one acceptance by then, DO schools do not enforce a date for that to happen. For that reason we were told at interviews that virtually all waitlist movement happens in June.

That said, I'm hoping to have my final draft of my Personal Statement complete tonight for submission tomorrow. I have written/rewritten all of my activities to fix things that I should have actually done last year (I applied with absolutely no guidance) and I've selected the schools I will be applying to for AACOMAS. AMCAS apps I still have until June 1st and I will be applying on June 1st as well (although thats likely to cost me another 500 dollars) even though I believe my GPA is still too low to be considered