Reapplying with current mcat score+taking mcat over.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEG@COOL

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I end up needing to reapply Im going to be retaking the MCAT in order to stengthen my application. Im planning on taking the exam in june and should get the results in july.

Im wondering though if i should submit AMCAS using my old scores as soon as its online and then have my new scores sent to schools when it arrives or should I wait to submit until july when I have my new score.

Members don't see this ad.

If I end up needing to reapply Im going to be retaking the MCAT in order to stengthen my application. Im planning on taking the exam in june and should get the results in july.

Im wondering though if i should submit AMCAS using my old scores as soon as its online and then have my new scores sent to schools when it arrives or should I wait to submit until july when I have my new score.

I'm not totally sure how it works with the computerized MCAT now... Previously when people took/retook the August administration of the paper MCAT and applied beforehand (but wanted schools to look at their scores from August when they came out), they checked a box on the AMCAS app somewhere that said they planned on testing in August [as well]. Their primaries were semi-complete except for their MCAT scores obviously and they were able to do the secondaries from non-screening schools, but the schools wouldn't evaluate their application until October when scores were released. If they applied without checking this box and had earlier MCAT scores (even if they intended to take the August MCAT) the schools would evaluate their app right away with the old score and not even consider the new one when it came out. I'm assuming there is somewhere in the new AMCAS edited for computerized MCAT that you can point out you'll be testing on a later date as well if you want schools to take that score into consideration. You must also keep in mind that you don't have your new MCAT scores "sent to the schools." The school can see ALL of your MCAT scores in your app/MCAT THx. Also, even if you want to wait till July to submit your app (assuming you want to make sure you actually improved on your MCAT first), you won't be late regardless of how many people on SDN say that you will be.

I would wait until July when you have your new scores. That's still early.

If you wait to get your score, you can apply to schools accordingly. If I were you, I'd have everything ready to submit (get your transcript in early because it can take them a month to verify it). Make two lists of schools, one if you do really well on the MCAT and another for if you score around 30. Submit your app as soon as you get your score and select the schools to which you want to apply.