Reapplying with Masters GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmb123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys! I will be reapplying for a spot in MD/DO class of 2021. But I'm currently in a 2 years Masters of biosciences program at KCUMB. I'm doing a crazy ton of research and so far my GPA is 3.5 but I'm going for a3.7. I'll always be retaking the MCAT because I'm 100% sure I'll do better this time.

When you reapply, do schools look at the undergrad GPA, average GPA, or prefer one over the other. My science was 3.1 for undergrad. But theoretically, when I graduate, I'll have a 3.7 (science) GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Just be aware that your Masters GPA and your undergrad science GPA are different numbers. While you should be proud of your grad performance, I just wanted you to know they are different since I did a Masters program before entering med school.

Best of luck!

Depends on type of school.

IIRC MD schools get the GPA broken down as 1st/2nd/3rd/4th year ugpa, pb ugpa, grad gpa, and overall gpa (broken into bcpm, non-bcpm, and all).

DO schools get like 9000 categories. Breakdown is something like science vs. non science, ugpa/postbacc/grad, year in school, bio/phys/chem/math/other science/non science, etc etc etc. Literally a full page of numbers.

As to what they actually look at, you'd have to ask that on a school by school basis. For you, I'd guess they'd look at ugpa, ug sgpa, and grad gpa. But I'm also not an adcom so...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you not apply to KCU's DO program this year? Is your MCAT at or above a 501? If it is, you will get into KCU's DO program. I will say this: I know of a few COB graduates who did exceptionally well in the program, received an amazing MCAT score, and declined KCU's acceptance. None of them are currently in Medical school. They were all waitlisted and rejected because although their Master's program GPA was high, it is a separate number than your undergrad GPA and quite a few MD schools average MCAT scores as well. My advice: apply to all of the schools you normally would next year, including KCU. Go to all of the interviews you get, and see which schools you like the most. When you get into KCU, do not turn it down to go for another cycle.

Personal anecdote: I received 0 II last cycle from MD. Received a 4.0 in my master's and retook MCAT for 515 and have 4 II this cycle, most of which I'll hear decisions from in the next few weeks.

EDIT: Ended up with 5 IIs with 3 Acceptances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My personal anecdote is similar to Hi_I'mPaul's (above) except worse stats in my case

Somewhere under/around 3.0 for undergrad GPA, 3.76 for grad GPA, retook the MCAT and went from 0 II's to 5 II's with 2 A's

My master's program didn't have any linkages though like yours does I believe, and it was one of those "do medical school to prove you can do medical school" programs. It might depend on the master's program and which med program is looking at it but in my case, the schools that sent me II's clearly weighted my grad GPA much more heavily (because if they put any weight into my undergrad GPA I wouldn't have gotten in anywhere haha)

Reactions: 1 users
My personal anecdote is similar to Hi_I'mPaul's (above) except worse stats in my case

Somewhere under/around 3.0 for undergrad GPA, 3.76 for grad GPA, retook the MCAT and went from 0 II's to 5 II's with 2 A's

My master's program didn't have any linkages though like yours does I believe, and it was one of those "do medical school to prove you can do medical school" programs. It might depend on the master's program and which med program is looking at it but in my case, the schools that sent me II's clearly weighted my grad GPA much more heavily (because if they put any weight into my undergrad GPA I wouldn't have gotten in anywhere haha)

If you don’t mind me asking, which schools did you receive II’s from? I’m in the same boat as you were and trying to put together a list of grad GPA friendly schools is difficult. Congrats on the acceptances!! It gives me hope

If you don’t mind me asking, which schools did you receive II’s from? I’m in the same boat as you were and trying to put together a list of grad GPA friendly schools is difficult. Congrats on the acceptances!! It gives me hope
Sure! I'll PM you

Nice! Acceptances have been rolling in for me just recently as well! It's awesome to hear stories about successful reapplicants :D

Nice! Acceptances have been rolling in for me just recently as well! It's awesome to hear stories about successful reapplicants :D
Congrats! It really is great to hear successful reapplicant stories!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations! Love hearing underdog success stories! I'm honestly in the same boat as you: ~3.0 uGPA, took a couple years off from school, then went back and did a masters program & just graduated with a 3.83.

Do you mind PMing me the school you got accepted into? :D

I am literally in the same boat as you guys, @fyang0414 and @Hi_I'mPaul . Would greatly appreciate it if you guys can share (pm) any info on the schools you guys may be willing to share. Congratulations to you guys!

Hi, guys! I will be reapplying for a spot in MD/DO class of 2021. But I'm currently in a 2 years Masters of biosciences program at KCUMB. I'm doing a crazy ton of research and so far my GPA is 3.5 but I'm going for a3.7. I'll always be retaking the MCAT because I'm 100% sure I'll do better this time.

When you reapply, do schools look at the undergrad GPA, average GPA, or prefer one over the other. My science was 3.1 for undergrad. But theoretically, when I graduate, I'll have a 3.7 (science) GPA
Schools that reward reinvention look at the most recent numbers.