reappy carib

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pparikh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this year, but rather late in the process had 1 interview.
I wanted to know the following:
if I reapply this year, but also attend a carib school is that going to be a problem other than having to fly around?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied this year, but rather late in the process had 1 interview.
I wanted to know the following:
if I reapply this year, but also attend a carib school is that going to be a problem other than having to fly around?

If I understand you right, you want to attend a Caribbean med school and apply to US med schools at the same time.

Yes, there is a problem because then you would be considered a med student and would have to apply to US schools as a transfer.

If you want to go to a US MD, then you are going to have to sit out the year.

What are your stats?

34 T
3.85 cgpa, 3.8BCPM

could I not start at a US med school from year 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
With those stats, you will get a US MD somewhere.

Just apply early this time. Forget about the Caribbean and just apply US.

Your stats are great for many schools.

thanks for the confidence, but I have other issues to consider and now that you said I can only apply as a transfer applicant I just want to know if that is true?

Cuz I don't want to go to the carib and not be able to apply, and I can't apply as transfer cuz i'm not a US citizen and most med schools don't take transfer applicants.

Once you are enrolled in a medical school, you are a med student. You can drop out of the Caribbean school and then not be a med student. But, then you are a med student that dropped out of med school and wants to return to a med school.

When you apply to the US MD schools, you will have to submit all your transcripts.

Maybe someone can back me up.

Once you are enrolled in a medical school, you are a med student. You can drop out of the Caribbean school and then not be a med student. But, then you are a med student that dropped out of med school and wants to return to a med school.

When you apply to the US MD schools, you will have to submit all your transcripts.

Maybe someone can back me up.

I thought they ask only for med schools in north american or LCME schools. I doubt anyone who give a darn or know if you went to a carib school. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I dont think dropping out of a carib med school and going and applying to a US med school is considred the same drop out of med school to apply to med school as a person who dropped out of a US med school only to reapply to a US med school. Big difference, ofcourse the latter is harder and tougher situation if not impossible.

Don't go to a carib.

Apply again this year, early and broadly. You have very good stats and should get plenty of interviews.

Even if you could, why would you want to go to a carib school and then start over as a US M1? I don't understand the thinking.

If there are any negatives to your app, try to address these issues in the next couple of months. If you have immigration issues, contact a lawyer and get some advice on your situation.

I need a good backup in case...and not going to the carib is not an option. Just wanted to know if it is okay/possible to do what I want to do?

I need a good backup in case...and not going to the carib is not an option. Just wanted to know if it is okay/possible to do what I want to do?

Not in the way you want to.

Apply to US and then if you do not get into US, apply Caribbean.

I think I am right about having to be a transfer student. I would look into it before I tried it.

:luck:

Maybe post in the Caribbean forum and they might can confirm my thoughts.

Not in the way you want to.

Apply to US and then if you do not get into US, apply Caribbean.

I think I am right about having to be a transfer student. I would look into it before I tried it.

:luck:

Maybe post in the Caribbean forum and they might can confirm my thoughts.

Maybe the OP has specific circumstances that is hard to judge just by the info presented. Maybe he doesnt have stats to get into a US school and doesnt have the money nor a plan B to linger around. I say either go straight to a carib and drop applying to the US, or forget the entire carib idea and just try your hardest to get into a US school whether its directly or getting into a master program and strengthening your stats. It all depends on your stats i guess.

Good Luck.

Maybe the OP has specific circumstances that is hard to judge just by the info presented. Maybe he doesnt have stats to get into a US school and doesnt have the money nor a plan B to linger around. I say either go straight to a carib and drop applying to the US, or forget the entire carib idea and just try your hardest to get into a US school whether its directly or getting into a master program and strengthening your stats. It all depends on your stats i guess.

Good Luck.

Read the whole thread and you will see the OP's stats.

I wish I had those stats...

Read the whole thread and you will see the OP's stats.

I wish I had those stats...

Dang............. Forget the carib, lol you APPLY US only with those stats, not matter what the circumstances are, if you dont get in this cycle you will get in the next. Forget about the carib with those stats....

lol thanks for the encouragement guys... much appreciated.. i just know a course based masters is gonna be a waste of my time... my biggest worry is i'm Canadian.. and as such i can't apply to small schools... cuz they just won't take me.. i have to hit up all the big hot shots... which sucks.. and minimized my chances for acceptance... its k thanks for your input i'll call individual shcools and find out what they think...