US Caribbean and Reappying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadecricket

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Left a Caribbean school during first semester and need reapplication advice.

I’m looking to retake MCAT(500) and taking an SMP. I’m also looking for a job and just need some guidance.

Sorry if this this redundant.

Members don't see this ad.

What information are you looking for from your third thread on this topic that you didn't get in either of your other two?

Reactions: 1 users
Your prior experience suggests that there is absolutely no chance you will be admitted to any US medical school.

I'm not an adcom, but I'd never, ever offer you an interview. You had your shot in the Caribbean and you threw it away for nebulous reasons. Whatever those reasons were, there is no reason to think they will be changed by attending a different school. There was no change in circumstances. You just threw your shot away and that's that. You'd be at extremely high risk of failure or dropout once you realized that a slight change I'm scenery didn't change whatever is inside you that made you unsatisfied.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t throw anything away- I had legitimate reasons for leaving. I’m just trying to move forward.
I think I still have a decent shot.
Your prior experience suggests that there is absolutely no chance you will be admitted to any US medical school.

I'm not an adcom, but I'd never, ever offer you an interview. You had your shot in the Caribbean and you threw it away for nebulous reasons. Whatever those reasons were, there is no reason to think they will be changed by attending a different school. There was no change in circumstances. You just threw your shot away and that's that. You'd be at extremely high risk of failure or dropout once you realized that a slight change I'm scenery didn't change whatever is inside you that made you unsatisfied.

I wasn’t offered this courtesy. In addition, I’d be more comfortable stateside.

What school makes no accomodations for the death of a close relative?

You mentioned in another thread you were failing classes.

There's more to this story. You need to be able to articulate an exceptionally good reason for dropping out of a Caribbean school. "I had a difficult event and failed out/dropped out" is not even remotely sufficient to get you upgraded to an American school.

Fact is you barely made it into a Caribbean medical school with your low GPA and poor MCAT. Then you dropped out.

I don't see any way you could get into a US school without major life reinvention and remarkable accomplishment in another field, with a really outstanding story of rediscovering medicine in 5-10 years time.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand your logic but it’s quite callous.
To answer your questions, the person was my last close relative so, yes.

You're right, and I apologize. That was beneath me.

What @el_duderino articulated much more clearly above is what I intended. A very significant proportion of medical students experience a major life tragedy during these four years and simply dropping out of medical school is not considered an acceptable or easily-forgivable way of handling these events. You are expected to demonstrate fortitude, resilience and resourcefulness, even in the face of personal tragedy.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.